Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i just found a ....

"Pentax Super Program 35mm Camera includes a SMC Pentax-A Zoom 1:3.5 35-105mm lens and Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter. "

the bid price is 60$ or so is this worth biding on i would resail the camera body

12-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so not wort the $$$ lol i am intersted in the 2x coverter the seller will not brake up the sail. is the converter any good
12-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd say it is worth it. The lens alone sells for around $150.00. It is one of the best MF zooms Pentax has made. It has a usable macro range also (1:4 I believe).

The Super Program is a nice little body. I inherited that exact set up from my dad, along with an A50 f1.4. Makes a good back up film system.
12-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I'd say it is worth it. The lens alone sells for around $150.00. It is one of the best MF zooms Pentax has made. It has a usable macro range also (1:4 I believe).

The Super Program is a nice little body. I inherited that exact set up from my dad, along with an A50 f1.4. Makes a good back up film system.
i have my K1000 and Nikon N2000 for back ups for film i would not need the body. i also have some bids on some Cannon range finders i have allwas wonted a range finder i am bidding on
i wish i could have them broken up but ........ i will if i get them sale off cheep what i do not wont

1 sale
Canon AT-1 SLR Camera
Canon G-III QL Canonet
Canon Canonet 28

2 sale
AV-1 35mm Film
A35F Rangefinder
QL17 Rangefinder

12-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you don't mind that it is manual focus and a little on the heavy side, the A35-105 constant 3.5 is a pretty nice lens.. Well worth the $60 alone IMO...
12-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote

I have to agree with Alan. If the lens is in good condition it alone is worth 150-180 USD.
The lens performs as well or better than some star lenses and actually has a usable macro range. It is built to last... and last. The camera was a good camera if you still use film. The 2x may or may not be good depending on the model #.

Good luck.
Stephen
12-29-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here is a link to my images shot with the 35-105/3.5. I got mine for about $135 and consider it well worth the price. The thing is heavy (615 grams), but it I think it does a very fine job. The constant 3.5 aperture throughout the range is a nice feature and one of the main reasons I chose it, since I primarily use it with flash and don't want to have to worry about zooming into an aperture range inconsistent with what my off-camera flash is set up for. In my link you can see several flash and several daylight photos. The macro range isn't really a macro range so much as it is a "close-focus" range. The thing is that the distance scale is consistent for all zoom settings from infinity down to 1.5 meters, then it starts to differ radically below that, so they just label that area "macro" and leave off the distances. Anything in the "normal" range focuses without rotating the front element, but down in the "macro" range the front element rotates to adjust focus. I don't offer that as a negative comment, but just as a bit of clarification. It in no way detracts from the appeal of the lens. If you can get it for $60, POUNCE on it with both feet.

The Canon QL1.7 is a highly regarded 35mm rangefinder. I don't have one myself but would certainly like to. I own four Yashica Electro 35 rangefinders that are in operating condition. They are aperture priority with automatic shutter speed (no adjustment possible except for a Bulb mode and a flash mode that sets the shutter to 1/30, although you can use flash just fine in the auto mode as well). It makes the use of daylight fill flash easier than falling off a log.

The YE35 is a fine camera, with a bright f1.8 lens. Since I live in Japan I can usually pick them up for about ten bucks via online auctions. They sell for a bit more outside Japan. I think they typically go for between $40 and $70 or so on eBay. Here is a link to the Yashica Electro 35 group photo pool on Flickr.

When buying old rangefinders, you sometimes may find that you end up kissing a few frogs while searching for a prince. Some of them may not be in good operating condition. Most older cameras will need to have the light seals on the door replaced. Fortunately, that is something you can very easily do yourself with no special tools or expensive materials. Also some (like the YE35) originally used batteries that are no longer manufactured. There are workarounds available for that. Some rangefinders don't require batteries at all except for the metering, and if you use "Sunny 16" or an external meter (the Sekonic L-208 is a good and relatively inexpensive hotsoe-mountable option) you needn't worry about a battery.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 12-29-2007 at 02:24 AM.