Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

What am I doing wrong, Tamron SP 2X

This is getting to be a annoying Mystery for me. I have a Tamron SP 400mm f4.0 MF lens that is matched to a SP BBAR MC 2X teleconverter. Sometimes when I need the extra reach, I add the TC. Sometimes when I do this, everything just clicks right in place and off I go. Sometimes, I can not get my K-5 to align properly with the TC using the adapter.
So I remove the adapter from the 400 and add it to the back of the TC. Either click it all works or they seem to get stuck out of alignment. The TC will not go to the AE mark so the aperture works. When I give up and take the TC out of the setup and the K-5 and 400mm just go back together just fine.
I believe it has something to do with the multitude of loose levers and cams all over the TC. Just what do each do and how should they be oriented to each other when installing it. Right now the two tabs seem to be stuck in the two slots when installed but comes free again when removed.
Any help greatly appreciated. Dave

01-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I trust you are talking about the Tamron Adaptall-2 Model 65B telephoto lens and the Model 01F teleconverter.

Rule number 1 is ALWAYS to set the aperture at its widest whenever you are changing adapters.

Further, I suggest that you study the Adaptall-2 Custom Mount- and SP 01F manuals carefully. There are some detailed pictures showing the steps in proper mounting and dismounting. It is no big deal, but the manuals' directions should be followed rather slavishly. If you don't have these manuals you may download pdf-copies from the download page at my homepage here:

PhotoDocs

Finally, I know from personal experience that alignment can still be tricky --- with worn and / or dirty adapters and you may find directions for cleaning adapters at the Apdaptall Lens Club pages in this forum).

Hope, this will be a bit of a help
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As Stone G. has stated, aperture ring must be at it's widest when changing adapters. The sequence is TC on to the lens then the PK/A adapter to the TC, all the while making sure the aperture ring do not move from the widest position. If the aperture ring moves, take them off in the reverse order and start over again.
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I found the teleconverters for the 400mm to be too fiddly. Especially when out in the field with the lens. I just use the rear mount converters like the Tamron 1.4x and the AFA 1.7x to keep from the hassle of removing the adapter, attaching it to converter then attaching converter onto the lens. Have not noticed any issues using the rear mount converters at all.

01-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Like Gary, I use rear adaptors, at present, the AFA 1.7x and sigma 1.4 x and 2x autofocus adaptors. I use mine with the SP200-500/5.6 and find the rear element is recessed and wide enough to accept the sigma TCs. I suspect it would also take the Pentax rear adaptors well
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've been in a similar situation with a 360B (300/2.8), 01F TC, and a PK/A adapter - after lots of patient fiddling and reading the manuals for the adapter and teleconverter online, here are my own notes on the process:

1) as has been said, set every adaptall cam to their widest aperture (but see #3)
2) the "order of assembly" is: attach TC to lens; then attach lens-mount adapter to TC.
3) the TC will not be in its widest aperture once fully attached with the tabs in the slots (you're losing light, so this "reports" it)
4) When attaching the adapter, line up the dots and at least one tab, then twist it into the TC without being concerned about the second tab.
5) Press the black button on the adapter to move the second tab to its slot.
6) Move the main lens aperture almost to AE... then press the black button on the adapter to get it to smoothly click into AE. (You'll notice the TC cam moves along with it!)

7) removing them is the reverse, with the added caveat that it happens much faster and the TC has a tendency to "drop" the adapter in your lap as you remove them from the lens... at least mine did!
01-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
Worked on your instructions and it worked well with a little fiddling. As a few mentioned, I have the Pentax AFA 1.7X coming next week and may well make my life easier using it instead of the SP 2X. Will do some imaging tests to see which holds up the best. Thanks again and in particular to panoguy for the step by step idiot proof how to version. Dave
01-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I actually had an issue with the leaf spring latch on the lens that locks the adapter in place. I bought a sacrificial lens and replaced the spring and back plate and it seemed to have solved the problem. After that, I try to leave the adapter on the lens as it is happily working properly now. You will like the results with the 1.7x. I have found it to be quite a bit better than the 01F, 2x converter. Just be sure to use a tripod. The 1.7x makes it a 680mm lens......wow.

01-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I actually had an issue with the leaf spring latch on the lens that locks the adapter in place. I bought a sacrificial lens and replaced the spring and back plate and it seemed to have solved the problem. After that, I try to leave the adapter on the lens as it is happily working properly now. You will like the results with the 1.7x. I have found it to be quite a bit better than the 01F, 2x converter. Just be sure to use a tripod. The 1.7x makes it a 680mm lens......wow.

I bought the Model 65B (SP 400mm F/4 LD-IF) some time ago to make it semi AF, when paired with 1.7X AFA. However, my experience with 400/4 and 1.7X AFA is not so bright. For some reason I couldn't get consistent AF performance out of the combo. Too many shots come out soft.

There is quite rare flat field SP 2X Tele-Converter (Model 200F).The quote is taken from the Tamron SP Adaptall-2 2X Tele-Converter Model 200F web page:

Tamron specifically designed this converter for professional photographers who use any of the aforementioned lenses which this converter is compatible with. The optical design is basically a "stretched out" version of the 01F design and uses high diffraction glass. The result is superb off-axis performance even when the master lens is used at its widest aperture. Off-axis image quality, depending on the lens, is approximately 35% to 50% better than with the model 01F converter. In other words, the corners of the image are noticeably sharper when using this converter versus the 01F model.

That's what it does when paired with SP 400/4 lens (800mm): The power of 800mm: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Unfortunately I'm not a tripod kind of shooter: I don't use this 800mm combo at all and start thinking of selling it.
01-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I bought the Model 65B (SP 400mm F/4 LD-IF) some time ago to make it semi AF, when paired with 1.7X AFA. However, my experience with 400/4 and 1.7X AFA is not so bright. For some reason I couldn't get consistent AF performance out of the combo. Too many shots come out soft.

There is quite rare flat field SP 2X Tele-Converter (Model 200F).The quote is taken from the Tamron SP Adaptall-2 2X Tele-Converter Model 200F web page:

Tamron specifically designed this converter for professional photographers who use any of the aforementioned lenses which this converter is compatible with. The optical design is basically a "stretched out" version of the 01F design and uses high diffraction glass. The result is superb off-axis performance even when the master lens is used at its widest aperture. Off-axis image quality, depending on the lens, is approximately 35% to 50% better than with the model 01F converter. In other words, the corners of the image are noticeably sharper when using this converter versus the 01F model.

That's what it does when paired with SP 400/4 lens (800mm): The power of 800mm: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Unfortunately I'm not a tripod kind of shooter: I don't use this 800mm combo at all and start thinking of selling it.
So far I have been pretty pleased with the 1.7x in combo with the 400mm. Spring will tell more. We have had 13 inches of rain in the last 10 weeks.
I have the 01f but do not like having to dismantle everything to use it. I like you will probably sell it.
My new Bigma is going to be the most interesting methinks....
01-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
My new Bigma is going to be the most interesting methinks....
Congratulations on the Bigma! Is it OS or non-OS version?