Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

M42 Adapters

I recently bought one of the flangeless M42 to K-mount adapters on Amazon. It was this one here:

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Chrome Lens Mount Adapter, M42 (42mm x1 thread Mount) Lens to Pentax K-x/PK Adapter, for Pentax K200d, K20d, K100D Super, K10D, K110D,K100D, *ist DL2, *ist DS2, *ist DL, *ist DS, Samsung GX-20, GX-10: Camera & Photo

As I discovered the clip was a real pain. I read in the forums here that the clip should be removed. I did that. I then mounted the adapter on the lens instead of on the body. However, when I do this, the lens doesnt "click" into place on the body. Its possible to still turn the lens in the body of the camera. I assume the clip is what clicks it into place.

Can anybody make recommendations for an adapter? Things I desire in the adapter:

1. Infinity focus.
2. Mounts on the lens instead of into the body. I would prefer to buy several adapters and just "convert" the lenses to K-mount.
3. When mounted on camera, adapter firmly clicks into place and there is not danger of the lens falling off.

I havent seen anything where I can get all of these. The original Pentax adapter seems like it is installed into the body rather than onto the lens. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks!

01-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Use a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten the adapter on the lens. No, without the toxic clip, the adapter doesn't lock into place, although you *could* use a drill or Dremel to cut a small hold or slot for the camera locking pin to engage. I mostly don't bother with this latter, and I haven't lost a lens yet.
01-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks RioRico. Where do I drill the slot? I am really worried about the lens coming off. Many of my lens are very tight when focusing, and they actually turned the lens in the body (the lens wasnt unscrewing from the adapter, the adapter was turning in the body). Just in the few minutes I played around tonight, it almost fell off.
01-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This only works with lenses whose bases are wide enough: Put the adapter on the lens (tight) and the on the camera. See where the locking pin touches the lens base. That's where to cut. The locking pins are about 2mm wide; that's how wide to cut. I'd start with low-value lenses that you doubt you'll sell.

Another trick to hold the adapter to the lens is: glue. A little dab of contact cement. Or more, if you're nervous. Contact cement will dissolve in acetone, as in nail-polish remover, so the glued adapter isn't permanent unless you wish it so. Just keep glue (and solvents) away from the glass. Do the gluing in good ventilation.