Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Limited

What does LIMITED means when used in the name of a Pentax lens? I have read, that certain lens (for example DA 35mmf2.8macro) is a LIMITED edition lens.
In another comment by PF member, he refers to a Limited lens as a limitation. For example, he said that certain lens (I forgot which) should not be called DA L, because it behaves as a FULL DA. Does this question make sense? Am I missing something here?

01-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
What does LIMITED means when used in the name of a Pentax lens? I have read, that certain lens (for example DA 35mmf2.8macro) is a LIMITED edition lens.
In another comment by PF member, he refers to a Limited lens as a limitation. For example, he said that certain lens (I forgot which) should not be called DA L, because it behaves as a FULL DA. Does this question make sense? Am I missing something here?
Limited as in "Top of the Line" not limited in term of quantities or limitations.

Think again, FA also have Limited series and they certainly don't have any limitations!
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I think they are produced in "limited" production runs as well as the added quality, which is why you cant always find them new in stores and have to wait for stock, at B&H for example

The DA-L lenses are not limited, just made with "Light" plastic
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

makes no sense

the origins of limited are the FA trio which were probably originally introduced as a limited run. now it seems to me it is just to reflect a premium line that hasn't been assigned the * designation which is supposed to be the no holds barred best (though I think the FA's are some of the best lenses ever made - due for a mdoern take though - perhaps we'll see a DFA* variant of them with a FF body....)

I certainly find nothing limiting about any of the DA or FA limiteds they are all excellent lenses - the most limiting factor being they are primes not a limtiation in my book

01-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How do you call the DA lenses that work on the crop sensor cameras, but would not work on the FF?
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
makes no sense

the origins of limited are the FA trio which were probably originally introduced as a limited run. now it seems to me it is just to reflect a premium line that hasn't been assigned the * designation which is supposed to be the no holds barred best (though I think the FA's are some of the best lenses ever made - due for a mdoern take though - perhaps we'll see a DFA* variant of them with a FF body....)

I certainly find nothing limiting about any of the DA or FA limiteds they are all excellent lenses - the most limiting factor being they are primes not a limtiation in my book
Only limitation that I can see is they limit my purchase power since they are so expensive
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
The DA-L lenses are not limited, just made with "Light" plastic
Are you serious, or just joking? I found the three pancakes to be some of the best lenses ever.

01-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Are you serious, or just joking? I found the three pancakes to be some of the best lenses ever.

You are confusing DA Limited with DA-L they are not the same, the 35 2.4 comes as a DA-L with a plastic mount for example (i believe) not to be confused with the mostly fantastic DA Limited lenses. The DA lenses do not work with FF, they are optimized for APS-C, whereas the FA Limiteds work on FF. I think the DA40 Ltd may work on FF though..
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Limited lenses are considered Limited Editions. Sure, their production may not be limited like originally, but the label stuck.

Pentax DA L lenses are the cheaper plastic mount versions of the DA equivalents. Optically the same.

Pentax DA lenses are Digitally A-something or another, whatever the A means. Probably Aperture since the A series lenses must mean that Nowadays, lenses meant specifically as Digital usually only cover the APS-C sensor and not the full frame. See Tamron's DI lenses, and Canon's EF-S.

Also to clarify, as Deimos said above - DA lenses typically don't cover full frame... BUT... the DA primes are mostly the same optical formula as the FA primes, and from the thread about testing DA lenses, it seems that almost all the DA primes work with full frame. I know that the DA 35 F2.4 works with full frame.
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are confusing DA Limited with DA-L they are not the same, the 35 2.4 comes as a DA-L with a plastic mount for example (i believe) not to be confused with the mostly fantastic DA Limited lenses. The DA lenses do not work with FF, they are optimized for APS-C, whereas the FA Limiteds work on FF. I think the DA40 Ltd may work on FF though..
Now, I recall that that is the lens someone was saying that it should be a full DA. I am still confused.
01-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

he said the 35 2.8 limited - not the dal, it is possible the person he spoke of was confusing DAL with limited though - opposite ends of the spectrum though the 35 2.4 does represent excellent value it's not the best prime made
01-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"LIMITED" was a mistake when Pentax released the 1st one FA43/1.9 in 1997 thinking it would be a one off small production lens when Pentax was totally loss on their direction. Turned out it was an instant success but then the term LIMITED stuck. FA77 and FA31 were released later and LIMITED has become a special term like *. This is my view anyway as there is no sensible official answer from Pentax. In reality, LIMITED lenses receive no higher QC nor limited in production.
01-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DAL does not abbreviate for DA Limited!! DA Limited is the premium series of the DA lenses, they are made of metal and are of the unique pancake design. DA21, DA40, DA35 macro, DA70 are DA Limiteds.

On the other end of the scale, DAL lenses are the recently introduced cheaper series of lenses that have no quick shift, no focus distance scale, plastic mount, no lens hood, etc. For example, DAL18-55, DAL55-300, DAL50-200

It's possible the lens in question is the DA35/2.4 which has a plastic mount, so some people might regard it with the DAL lenses. However cheap and light it is, it's officially branded as a DA lens.

How do you call the DA lenses that work on the crop sensor cameras, but would not work on the FF?
DA lenses that officially work on FF cameras are labelled D-FA such as the D-FA50 macro, D-FA100 macro, D-FA100 WR macro. Some D-FA have aperture rings (the former 2) while the last does not. Don't think D-FA has anything to do with the presence of aperture ring, more to do with the newer coating for digital.

Otherwise they are labelled DA. Some DA lenses reportedly work fine on FF - some work perfectly fine (DA35/2.4, DA40, etc), some work with limitations (e.g. my DA12-24 only works after a certain focal length)
01-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
"LIMITED" was a mistake when Pentax released the 1st one FA43/1.9 in 1997 thinking it would be a one off small production lens when Pentax was totally loss on their direction. Turned out it was an instant success but then the term LIMITED stuck. FA77 and FA31 were released later and LIMITED has become a special term like *. This is my view anyway as there is not sensible official answer from Pentax. In reality, LIMITED lenses receive no higher QC nor limited in production.
the only truly limited "limited was the m39 (LTM) FA 43 which was a very limited run (2000 pieces - 800 silver 1200 black) and added a tube at the back to offset the reduced film plane on a leica RF. It also came with a finder since there would be no 43mm frame lines on any RF (though some had 40mm lines) - it was different in it focusing and aperture helix though mirroring the Leica rotation.

It would be nice to have one with a Bessa R3 or R4 (or of course a good leica)
01-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the only truly limited "limited was the m39 (LTM) FA 43 which was a very limited run (2000 pieces - 800 silver 1200 black) and added a tube at the back to offset the reduced film plane on a leica RF. It also came with a finder since there would be no 43mm frame lines on any RF (though some had 40mm lines) - it was different in it focusing and aperture helix though mirroring the Leica rotation.

It would be nice to have one with a Bessa R3 or R4 (or of course a good leica)
I believe that lens was not a "Limited" but a "Special"