Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
tokina EL 28mm 2.8 (info)

can some of you who has/had this lens comment on it. the reviews on it here isnt helping much. any good? does it produce good quality image? its for my kx/k7.

thanks

01-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the lens section- this isn't a troubleshooting question

So you already saw these? Tokina EL 28mm f2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

At $30 it wouldn't hurt to try it, looks like your typical manual prime.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
ya saw this one already. i was lookin for more reviews.
01-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This only applies to the M42 version !!

I have the M42 version which is automatic only and hence only works wide open. Needed to do some surgery to make it 'manual' so I could set aperture.

I don't know if it's the result of the surgery but it suffers from severe vignetting up to f/8; once I figured that out, I never used it.

01-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a listing for one of these in the marketplace so I'm biased. I like it, at least the one I'm selling, KA mount. I think it's better than ordinary. Now, I haven't sold it at my price (or even gotten lowball offers), so I haven't convinced anyone else. Like Vivitar, Tokina has a few versions with the same name, probably hurting the better versions.
06-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

Sorry to bring this thread back but just didn't want to start a new thread about the same lens anyways.
I was looking at the link that Adam posted for the reviews on this Tokina but noticed that this lens (based on the image on the review) is not that same as the Tokina that I have in my hand. I posted a pic of what I have.

Can anyone tell me if there are different versions of this lens or is the lens on the review section a totally different lens from what I have.
Asking because I do not want to post a review on the forum if the lens that I have is not the same.
06-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going to say I have a lens just like that, but upon further review, mine is different. It's labeled Tokina EL, but 52mm filter, minimum aperture of f16, different focus grip, chrome A button and different graphics. Mine is pretty good: very good to excellent sharpness, some CA but fixable, decent flare resistance on par with non-Pentax, typical 28mm size/weight/MFD. It has a non-interfering Ricoh pin. I like it.

06-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

thanks Dave. I did alot of google searching but nothing comes up about the lens I have. Most reference to the same lens that you have or the one that is posted on the lens review here ins pentaxforums