Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Using any UV or 'protection' lenses on something like the 60-250 is probably not a good idea. Some of these shots look exactly like evidence of using crappy UV filters.

02-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I agree with that. I took mine off of my 50-135, DA200 and FA300 lenses. I get better results unless I'm imagining things.

Even the OP's latest images from the new lens have a glow where the dark meets light (e.g. girls forearms) so if there's a filter attached I'd remove it. Plus, I've tested 2x 60-250 zooms and have never seen purple fringing with either of them. I'm not sure if filters can enhance PF or if what I see in these shots is just the lens.
02-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My DA* 60-250 is tack sharp, like a prime. btw, it's the copy photozone.de tested and it's even a bit decentered which is normal probably (not all corners are equally sharp).

Normally, blurred tele photos are shake, motion blur, noise, atmosphere and defocus. But I'm sure, the 60-250 is complex enough a lens that bad copies are out there...
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Nice! I'd be interested to see pic's along the edges and corners at 60mm F4. The latest one I tried was quite soft towards the edges at that setting. CA is also larger than I'd like.

02-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Nice! I'd be interested to see pic's along the edges and corners at 60mm F4. The latest one I tried was quite soft towards the edges at that setting. CA is also larger than I'd like.
You may look up the photozone numbers, it is my copy. Sure, corners at 60/4 are the weak spot. Photozone rates the borders there just a very good, while the center is excellent. A DA70 certainly has stronger corners, but the center at f/4 is equal which is rather strong for such a complex zoom.
02-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I translated that lens' mtf figures (along with many others) into Excel graphs. The lens is extremely good at F7.1 to F8

The reason I mentioned seeing some shots from it was that then that would give a visual reference to compare with what results I had here.
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The reason I mentioned seeing some shots from it was that then that would give a visual reference to compare with what results I had here.
Well, the photozone article contains full size sample photos. They are mine I took in Cuba. One is 60mm f/4.5. All are handheld. I believe it was with a K-7 and K-x.

02-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the photozone article contains full size sample photos. They are mine I took in Cuba. One is 60mm f/4.5. All are handheld. I believe it was with a K-7 and K-x.
thanks.

Were those pictures post processed and/or lens corrected at all?
02-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

thanks.

Were those pictures post processed and/or lens corrected at all?
They are Lightroom-processed. But no lens profiles and maybe some sharpening. Although not as much as I do now with the K-5. Certainly no CA correction. If the center is not totally sharp, then it is due to handheld / focus.
02-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks, that's useful info.
02-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still not satisfied

Still not satisfied with my copy. While much better than my DA55-300 at 250mm, I have expected more for a lens of this price and weight. Please do not waste your time talking about shaking, UV filter, or mis-focusing. I know what it is. Will report more later.

BTW, have to dial in +200 on my kx. The same amount as that of my previous one.

THANKS.
02-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #42
Forum Member

Well, i'm a total noob, so what i'm about to say is probably nothing to think about, but when looking at all the shots posted in this thread, i get a distinct feeling that somethings not right, and i don't know if it's only the lens. Look at Greyser's photo of the two ducks. It's stunning. Sharp, nice, a good photo, lovely colors, and the crop even show a beautiful drop of water dripping from the ducks beak; it's pretty damn crystal clear. The OP's pictures are not even close in quality in any aspect. Granted, the picture from his second lens is a little better, but there is still something weird about it, the colors are off, and it looks like there's some sort of brightness-filter or something going on, in addition to being soft,and i'm not sure the exposure itself is good either. Is this the only lens that produce results similar to this? Have you done any PP to these images? What are the odds you got two different DA*-lenses, none of which are producing similar results as Greysers? Were both lenses new? Did you buy them from a reputable dealer?

I only have a DA 50-200mm, and at 200mm i rarely get sharp images of moving things. I've narrowed it down to user error and it also seems it needs different FF/BF-adjustment at 50 and 200mm, but i'm not confident i did the tests good enough to conclude with anything, so i'm mostly stuck with user error for the moment.

What i'm getting at is this: Are you absolutely 100% sure you got two faulty DA*-lenses, and you are not doing anything wrong at all?
02-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morpho Quote
Look at Greyser's photo of the two ducks. It's stunning. Sharp, nice, a good photo, lovely colors, and the crop even show a beautiful drop of water dripping from the ducks beak; it's pretty damn crystal clear. The OP's pictures are not even close in quality in any aspect. Granted, the picture from his second lens is a little better, but there is still something weird about it, the colors are off, and it looks like there's some sort of brightness-filter or something going on, in addition to being soft,and i'm not sure the exposure itself is good either. Is this the only lens that produce results similar to this? Have you done any PP to these images? What are the odds you got two different DA*-lenses, none of which are producing similar results as Greysers? Were both lenses new? Did you buy them from a reputable dealer?
Thank you, morpho, for the nice and unexpected comment. However, please note that my ducks picture is not PPd at all. It becomes noticeably better when PP is applied.
02-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Thank you, morpho, for the nice and unexpected comment. However, please note that my ducks picture is not PPd at all. It becomes noticeably better when PP is applied.
Well, even better, then, for you at least, perhaps not for the OP

When looking at the photos again on a much better monitor, the difference between the OPs two lenses is clearer; the last one is much better, while still being miles off Greysers. This is mainly why i wonder if everyone is convinced there must be 2 DA* lenses at fault, and that there arenīt any room for user error here. I do a lot of user errors myself, which is perhaps why i am painfully aware of them and what they can do to a picture
02-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
Hi DA*60-250mm owners, I bite the bullets and got the lens a couple of weeks ago. The image at 250mm f4 seems a bit soft. While softness is fine, I do NOT want to have a defect. See attached photos which are cropped at about 1:1. Is it too soft?

The whole photo.

I use Kx.

Thanks much!!!!
The original pictures this thread opened with are definitely soft due to camera shake. If you look at smaller elements in the background you will see two copies of each one. It is clearly causing these images to be substandard. When you combine shake with a little OOF and the lens wide-open I'm sure you'd get soft images regardless of how good the lens is. I have a FA*300mm F4.5 which can get all 'glowy' when shot open in bright sunlight with lots of specular highlights in the scene. I figured out it was the focus though and the wider aperture that was exacerbating the issue. Stopping these lenses down to within a range of 5.6 -8 should get really sharp results normally. Also, if the SR system shows no hand in the VF and you shoot whilst moving the camera you'll get blur. You have to wait until the HAND is visible in the VF before the SR system will be ready for another shot.

Last edited by bossa; 02-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.