Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Could we (by 'we' I mean Adam...) not write a letter to Pentax-Ricoh asking for confirmation of the future of the K-mount system?

01-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Re Marilyn Dixon, marketing manager for Pentax UK:

"They expect to grow the business in Europe, they have said they want to create a billion Euro business within the next three years. From their point of view it was key to have the Pentax brand within their portfolio to allow them to achieve this."

"When asked about potential worry current Pentax users may have about the merger, Marilyn assured that the merger was positive and would lead to more collaboration and cameras from both Ricoh and Pentax that would enhance and complement, not conflict with, each other's ranges."

"According to Marilyn, the Pentax brand and name will continue under the new structure, "that's absolutely certain," she told us."

Pentax UK speaks out on Ricoh sale | News | TechRadar
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Too late...they already released the "Q".
I'm still in denial about that.
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #49
Pentaxian

This idea of "uncertainty" is flawed. There is no uncertainty that I can see. There is no reason whatsoever to worry about the future of the K-mount (at least in the foreseeable future). If Pentax doesn't put up a notice everyday that the K-mount will go on, that is "uncertainty"? I don't get it.

01-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh already said they planned to grow the system did they not.
specifically rom the press release way back.

QuoteQuote:
Through this acquisition, Ricoh plans to 1) enhance its digital camera businesses (especially the
interchangeable lens camera market which is expected to grow)
now to me that doesn't say we bought the company to kill the core lens line and develop something new and different. It say We bought the company to move into the game without the expense of starting from scratch and we plan on growing the business to the next level

I don't know where the we're killing K mount thing started but it is highly unlikely they will kill the cash cow. they may well develop alternatives like MILC etc but K mount is the bulk of the business right now pretty silly to scrap it without getting any ROI
01-11-2012, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Just wondering, with disappointment at CES and uncertainty over k-mount and new body, will you be still investing in Pentax mount lenses ? at least for now?
Why on earth would anyone be disappointed Pentax doesn't waste a bunch of money setting up big fancy booths at every single trade show in the world, especially when they aren't scheduled to be releasing any new products quite yet? And how do you get from whatever personal disappointment you might feel that Pentax isn't wasting money in this fashion to feeling "uncertainty"? That makes no sense, either. Ricoh just invested a lot of good money buying the Pentax camera divison. Why would they do that if they intend to actually continue in the business? This should be the most certain time for Pentax in years!
01-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Why on earth would anyone be disappointed Pentax doesn't waste a bunch of money setting up big fancy booths at every single trade show in the world, especially when they aren't scheduled to be releasing any new products quite yet? And how do you get from whatever personal disappointment you might feel that Pentax isn't wasting money in this fashion to feeling "uncertainty"? That makes no sense, either. Ricoh just invested a lot of good money buying the Pentax camera divison. Why would they do that if they intend to actually continue in the business? This should be the most certain time for Pentax in years!
I think they could have had a little more visual impact no need for a bigger booth but a more exciting one would be good. I imagine the CP+ booth will be much more whiz bang so to speak (It better be the Japanese market demands that)

01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, good grief! Another long and whining road about the future of Pentax and/or the K-mount!

There's far too much jumping at shadows in this Forum, for people who are here, supposedly, to take their photography seriously. Well, maybe not all. I suspect a bit of trolling going on, but only because there's so much talk based on unreasonable expectations. CES isn't a major venue for new cameras, so it's not any sort of a test for the direction of anyone directly in the serious camera business. You'll find lots of camera applications or platforms (mainly video now, I suspect), but the emphasis is on other parts of the industry.

There really is a simple test of the intentions of Ricoh in taking over the Pentax camera business from Ricoh: why would they spend a considerable sum of money to take over a business consisting of a portfolio of P&S cameras (when they have their own line of similar products), two very niche (you might almost say "boutique") systems in the Q and 645D (that are probably profitable in their own right, but not exactly cash cows), and a mainstream DSLR system (which they don't have). Rather than shut down the line with the major potential for profit and growth (the DSLR business), you'd think they'd probably shut down the low-margin P&S line, or wrap it into their own.

So, does anybody here have any better information? I thought not. There may be good reasons for some to change systems (don't you love the dilettante nature of that word "switch" - makes it sound so easy, doesn't it?) but the future of Pentax or the K-mount doesn't seem to be one of them, to me.

So, my answer to the OP is "yes": I've bought three new K-mount lenses in the past 12 months, and a greater number of second-hand ones (don't want to think how many, just yet) and I can't see any good reason not to continue that way for a while yet.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 01-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
01-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Have you seen this thread? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/134615-pentax-...s-samples.html
Lots of pictures in the later pages.
Thanks for the link...
I will now be sending you the bill for the lens
01-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Paranoid delusions sure keep the forums busy!
01-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Paranoid delusions sure keep the forums busy!
You're working for the man, I see.....
01-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #57

I am only currently interested in some of their legacy lenses - specifically the FA* line. I have a number of these and I like them. I will not purchase a DA lens under any circumstance due to the small image circle and lack of ability to use these on a film Camera. If Pentax does not soon start supportng a more professional line of gear I may have to sell off and pick up a Nikon or Canon which after 44 years of being a Pentaxian sounds like blasphemy.
01-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I've recently purhased a DA 16-45 and a DA 15, plus a couple of used zooms. I'm pretty much set. I really couldn't improve my current set of glass without spending a great deal of money. So I won't be buying any new glass any time soon. This decision, however, has nothing to do with what Pentax plans to do in the future. I'm not really interested in any of the current manias that seem to be spreading like a disease through the internet, whether for FF, mirrorless, or 24 MP APS-C. If Pentax goes in that direction, I'll stick with my K-5 as long as it holds up; and when the K-5 goes, I'll either try to find another K-5, or go back to shooting with my old K200D.
01-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #59
Veteran Member

In a way, I would be fine if Ricoh completely discontinued K-mount, which is the worst case scenario.

My K10-D (GX-10) produces excellent prints, and those bodies are currently mind-bogglingly cheap. My K5 is a phenomenal tool, and if Ricoh discontinues the K mount, the K5 will quickly drop to stunning prices, not to mention old K10 cameras that only have a few thousand actuations. I think I could be good for quite a while with existing technology, and can always adapt my glass to thinner bodies if new technology seduces me.

Will I continue to buy Pentax? Yes, even if they don't make them anymore.
01-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
and if Ricoh discontinues the K mount, the K5 will quickly drop to stunning prices,
Hopefully the price of glas will plummet too!

Although I think there'll be very little chance of the K-mount doing a 'Houdini' and the price of legacy glass will continue to rise to unaffordable levels...