Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fact that Pentax didn't rush out a new model in time for CES doesn't concern me much. The Ricoh deal was closed in October so to expect a whole new product line of new bodies, gaps filled in the lens lineup, a FF camera, and I could go on, is totally unrealistic. I upgraded to the K5 when the price dropped under $1000 on Black Friday and regardless of how things develop, I have a few years of great shooting in front of me.

Wouldn't it be nice if the next body came out and and everything worked? No firmware updates ever? Better they should do it right than to rush a half baked product to market.

01-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The fact that Pentax didn't rush out a new model in time for CES doesn't concern me much. The Ricoh deal was closed in October so to expect a whole new product line of new bodies, gaps filled in the lens lineup, a FF camera, and I could go on, is totally unrealistic. I upgraded to the K5 when the price dropped under $1000 on Black Friday and regardless of how things develop, I have a few years of great shooting in front of me.

Wouldn't it be nice if the next body came out and and everything worked? No firmware updates ever? Better they should do it right than to rush a half baked product to market.
+1 (which is to say, "plus one")
01-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I didn't claim I have any evidence on anything and I did not generate the rumor that the K-r was discontinued - I just commented on it
Noted.

QuoteQuote:
If production "is finished", then it is not suspended. Suspended implies the possibility of resuming. That he hesitates to call it discontinued doesn't mean anything.
Of course it does. It means that he is applying common sense here. The fact that they have more than enough stock to cover the anticipated demand between now and the release of the replacement can only be a good thing, and attempting to somehow make it seem like a bad thing that Pentax doesn't waste resources producing cameras unnecessarily makes no sense. Using term "discontinued" has that implication that this is somehow bad, when in fact, it,s quite the opposite. i would be quite upset if Pentax were wasting resource producing more units when they already have enough to cover demand. What would be the point of that?
01-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
... What would be the point of that?
To artificially drive prices down - which would be good for me....

I guess I am going to have to get off the fence here soon and make my decision on the K5. It appears that Pentax is trying to time the new product announcement with the exhaustion of their K5 inventory, without a major inventory clearance price decrease.

01-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The fact that they have more than enough stock to cover the anticipated demand between now and the release of the replacement can only be a good thing, and attempting to somehow make it seem like a bad thing that Pentax doesn't waste resources producing cameras unnecessarily makes no sense.
Again, I never said it was a bad thing. I just agreed it was unusual:

so that move is out of the ordinary, but OTOH, it is not that shocking either, considering that Pentax got acquired by Ricoh and the K-r line isn't really as good of a deal as it used to be - there is more competition than ever before in its price range and I expect that Ricoh wants to think things over in that area. So the discontinuation is an event worth noting, but unlike tibbitts, I am not worried about it - in fact it gives me hope that Ricoh is trying to work out a long term plan and I rather like that.
And just for fun, one could say that Pentax has already wasted resources unnecessarily producing so many cameras that are still waiting to be sold. It's a matter of perspective
01-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #111
Veteran Member

It's a matter of perspective
Like a dog on a shelf....

From over here you see the dogs lovely little face! (aw... ain't he cute...)

*walks to other side of room*

From over here you have a great view of the dogs ar*e! (urgh... He a dirty dawg...)
01-18-2012, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
To artificially drive prices down - which would be good for me....
Not sure if this was meant seriously or not, but if Pentax already has more cameras than they think they can sell, and then they spend more money to manufacture more cameras, there is no way that can drive prices down. I suspct you are being facetious. Every penny spent producing a camera they cannot sell is a penny lost, and the more money lost, the less they can afford to drop the prices on the cameras they were going to have sold anyhow. If they are thinking along the lines of selling *more* cameras by dropping the price, well, that's something they'd have taken into account *before* deciding when they had "enough" cameras to meet demand.

There is another common sense element here that may be more apparent to people who have actually worked in the manufacturing sector (as I have) than to those who have not. Unless you are company with more manufacturing resources than products - and there is no reason to think Pentax is in that position - you can't start gearing up your assembly lines for a new product without stopping production of an older one. If Pentax were to keeping producing K-r's right up until the day they announced its replacement, they would not be able to show anything more than a prototype of the new model. There's a term for that type of product announcement: vaporware. They've got to stop production of an older product some time before the announcement of a new onein order to start build the new model so they will have actual samples to show to prove they are not announcing vaporware.

So really, anyone who thinks companies normally keep producing old models right up until the day the replacement is announced is living in a fantasy world.
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Best example, Apple started production oft the Ipad 3 this week but no official announcement of the new model. But you can be sure Ipad 2 will see the price go down and the used market will soar in volume. Difference is market for the Ipad is growing and they will empty everything. Oh, yes , they have to produce half a millions per week

01-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #114
Veteran Member

So really, anyone who thinks companies normally keep producing old models right up until the day the replacement is announced is living in a fantasy world.
Apparently that's common geography around here.