Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Will you be still investing in Pentax mount lenses?

Just wondering, with disappointment at CES and uncertainty over k-mount and new body, will you be still investing in Pentax mount lenses ? at least for now?

Was really planning to get Sigma 50-150mm (one in market too) but with this uncertainty, like to hold myself for now. What's opinion here.

01-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My setup is lacking a wide angle and yes, when the need arises, I will buy one in Pentax K-mount.

I'm not bothered by the uncertainty that surrounds Pentax (if I have to believe the forums). I have three Pentax dSLRs and by the time they die, I'm either dead or I will switch to a dSLR-style MILC that can take the lenses (and the old Minolta MD and Olympus OM lenses) if Pentax no longer has a camera that can take them.
01-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #3

I don't think I will buy anything expensive in the near future. Not because I think K-mount is doomed, but because I'm hoping there'll be some new glass available soon.

And LBA says I need more Takumars anyway!
01-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Please stop investing in K mount, and sell your K mount lenses cheaply to me :-)

Seriously, why not buy in K mount? They work great in a nex body.
I buy in whatever mount that have an adapter.

01-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
My setup is lacking a wide angle and yes, when the need arises, I will buy one in Pentax K-mount.

I'm not bothered by the uncertainty that surrounds Pentax (if I have to believe the forums). I have three Pentax dSLRs and by the time they die, I'm either dead or I will switch to a dSLR-style MILC that can take the lenses (and the old Minolta MD and Olympus OM lenses) if Pentax no longer has a camera that can take them.
+1 to this.

Its disappointing for now, but its not the end.
In fact its only a disappointment because Pentax may loose out on new customers who take notice of the latest and 'greatest'.
BTW, from a guy I consider in the 'know', MILC K-mount is on its way (hope its true of course)
It does not really affect me as a current user with enough lenses to not need any more (but want is a different thing )
A K5 bought now, will still be relevant for image making 2-3yrs from now.
After which any flavor of MILC can be used to take the K-mount lenses.
01-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm saving up for the DA*50-135 and DA*300 along with a second K-5. To me, the K-5 is such a good camera that the only reason for me to quit pentax would be to go FF or MF, which would simply be too expensive of a switch that i can't quite justify just yet. Of course, throw enough money at me and i'll relegate the K-5 to just personal work duty
01-11-2012, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

'Investing' in lenses implies that you expect to make money from|with them, via usage or resale. I don't invest in lenses. I buy what I want (and can afford) in order to use it for my own pleasure. I will continue to buy what I want (and can afford) in K-mount or M42 or Exakta or whatever. No matter what happens with Pentax-Ricoh Imaging Corp (PRIC), those mounts will not be orphaned. But I'm not heavily into KAF lenses, so I just don't worry about it. PRIC will likely outlast me anyway.

01-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It seems to me that there are 3 options for Pentax/Ricoh for future paths for dslrs:

a. Continue the K mount with addition of a new mirrorless cam line, either in a new mount or in GXR mountor

b. Discontinue the K mount, but provide for future k mount lens usage with GXR adaptor or similar

c. Discontinue Pentax dslr entirely and switch factories to compact cameras using non-k-mount

I see some expensive bloated camera model lines out there in some other brands, that appear to be dinosaurs headed for extinction, but Pentax is not one of them, IMO.

Liklihood of the above options, IMO:

a. 95%
b. 4.9%
c. 0.1%

the DA50-135 is my most favorite lens at the moment. The Sigma 50-150 is supposed to be as good or better in certain areas (hsm). I'd get that lens in a flash, if it were me, but then i have no use for a 70-200 f2.8 -- different courses, different horses i guess. best wishes!!
01-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Not until we find out what direction Pentax is going. For now I'm covered as far as primes go, minus a wide angle. As far as zooms I will buy either a 28-75 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 or 16-50 2.8 and 50-135 2.8 again depending on which way Pentax goes.

Last edited by Roob-N-Boots; 01-11-2012 at 03:06 AM.
01-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes i will ! If not for my DSLR, i will for my SLR

Plenty of pentax film bodies that await for a awakening
01-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There are lots of photo shows every year. I prefer that they release good products, not lots of products. Other brands have a DSLR at every $50 interval, which if you think about it are produced to fit marketing department requirements, not photographic requirements.
01-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My Pentax line-up is almost complete .. another 2 or 3 and I'm there *coughs*. Buying those lenses in K mount is not an issue for me as I will be using those lenses now and for the next 5-10 years at least so whatever happens along the road isn't an issue. Hopefully Pentax will bring out a FF camera but if not .. so what.
01-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have over the past 30 years squired 45 lenses but this includes AF MF k mount and M42. My AF line up is set and has not changed in 5 years being based on sigma 10-20, tamron 28-75/2.8 and sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 1.4 x and 2 x TCs. These will suffi e for a long time with my 4 digital bodies. If and when the time comes. I will change to canon assuming they still make DSLRs and get k and m42 adapters. Canon is the fall back plan
01-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The system works fine for me, so yes, I will not "invest", but buy and sell as I see fit.
01-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I myself wasn't going to buy any K-mount lenses untill I knew what Pentax future plans are. My LBA dissagreed with me, and as usually, won: My 18-135 WR will be arriving end of this week, or early next week. And my Porst 55 1.2 in about two weeks, but that one doesn't count, because it's not K.