Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #91
Veteran Member

I wont be buying any more Pentax stuff because I simply have everything I want right now. With pentax stuff theres always a trade off, sure I would like to have the 35mm macro, but its slower than the 35mm I already have, build quality and other features... I'm satisfied with the build quality of my 35mm. Its the same for the 16-50 that I wanted to get, I wanna get it but the Sigma/Tamron equivalent are better and cheaper, but only the Pentax has WR, its a stalemate so after thinking about it I've decided I don't want it anymore. I don't want to keep buying side grades I want proper upgrades. I look at Canon/Nikon/Sony news every now and then and I think "wow I want that! I wish pentax comes out with something similar" but this isn't happening and until Pentax releases something that that can provide me with similar feeling I likely wont be buying anything from Pentax in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Verglace; 01-15-2012 at 06:17 AM.
01-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, I've stopped buying K-mount lenses--but only because: a) I've run out of money and b) I have pretty much what I want.
01-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #93
Veteran Member

It will be allright, it will all be allright, won't it ... once it will be. I don't need that many lenses, I feel I need less lenses, it should all be less complicated ...
... no, I shall not buy more pentax lenses, I have my perfect set with da15, dfa31, da55, da70 and dfa 100 and my strangely enslaving bad, but crazily great performing star 16-50.
All I ever wanted, but never got: a digital spotmactic. FF. For my takumars. Will I ever have it, I guess not.
Wiil I buy pentax, yes, of course, if there is something to buy, But I have a K-5.
Oh, but I do believe there is a world with endles opportunities out there, for Ricoh-Pentax too. For me, 2012 is going to be the year of: wait and see.
Fuji will have to prove itself with its new system, so does Sony lenswise, and above all, Ricoh Pentax. There is time enough to wait and see. And hope.
01-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #94

+1

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
No, I've stopped buying K-mount lenses--but only because: a) I've run out of money and b) I have pretty much what I want.
Same situation here. I cruise the boards looking for deals to round out what I have, Flashes, filters, etc but I have all the lenses I will ever need. When you are broke, it is a lot easier to pass over that tempting deal.

01-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #95
Veteran Member

I'll refer you guys to this and see if those that won't be investing in more will now change their minds

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/171810-interview-penta...an-martin.html
01-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Any chance of a "Pointless Guff and Utter Drivel" section within the forum
+1 on that.
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
"assumption being the Mother of all f**k-ups"

Jeez... There are now a shedload of these silly threads; which hold no real information; and to be frank waste a considerable amount of all our time... This is not even rumour and barely 'murmouring'...

WAIT FOR PENTAX TO ANNOUNCE SOMETHING IN AN OFFICIAL CAPACITY!!

@ Adam... Any chance of a "Pointless Guff and Utter Drivel" section within the forum, that this thread (among others) can be moved to and I can then ignore?! Please...
Well there's always the ignore function - like in not reading "Pointless Guff and Utter Drivel" in the first place.........

01-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Well, I've been using Pentax since the K10D and I do not remember hearing that a camera was discontinued *before* a replacement was already on the market
That could be simply because previous models didn't sell well enough to warrant building up the kind of stock Pentax now builds. And really, in the early days of Pentax DSLR's, the main gripe was that they released new models too fast - before there was time to develop any significant improvement. Plus, again, it's not like being "out of production" is any kind of official status that Pentax puts put a press release about - it's just a condition you hear about from time to time if a particular retailer happens to hear it from a particular distributor and someone happes to hear it from the retailer and then posts about it here. With more Pentax DSLR users than ever before, random bits of information this are going to find their way to our ears more often. So I wouldn't read too much into the fact that we happen to know something about Pentax' production lines that we didn't know three years ago.

But FWIW, the K200D was also widely believed to be out of production with no replacement announced, and I am pretty sure the same was true of the K-m and the DL.
01-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That is not reason enough to discontinue a model. No other brand discontinued anything because of the floods - they just suspended production.
And your evidence that the alleged "discontinuation" of any given pentax DSLR model is somehow qualititatively different just because you choose to call it "discontinued" when Pentax does it but "suspended" when another manufacturer does it is...? Note in particular John Carlson has officially acknowledge exactly what I've been saying - it is out of production, but not "discontinued" in that they still have stock in distribution.
01-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Pentax still hasn't announced discontinuation of anything. I don't get why some of you guys can't get it through your heads. It isn't discontinued until Pentax says so, regardless of how a couple vendors like B&H want to spin it. If anything, people upset about this should be pointing a finger at B&H, asking them to back up their position.

There are two possibilities here:
1. B&H wanted to stir things up for their own perceived benefit, or
2. B&H decided to leak this information before it becomes official.

Either way, the assumption must be that it is entirely self serving to them, as there isn't any other sane reason a business would do this.

The amount of drama (and useless threads) about this is ridiculous, and forum management here hasn't helped. Jumping on the bandwagon the day B&H changed their order pages with mass emails about it, but downplaying the lack of any official statement on it. There must be more constructive ways to spur activity on the forums.
01-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Pentax still hasn't announced discontinuation of anything. I don't get why some of you guys can't get it through your heads. It isn't discontinued until Pentax says so, regardless of how a couple vendors like B&H want to spin it. If anything, people upset about this should be pointing a finger at B&H, asking them to back up their position.
Pentax UK confirmed the K-r is discontinued, the K-5 is not. There was a link posted above.
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/we-interview-pentax-uk-gm-jonathan-martin-18246

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
01-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #102

Bought a Cosina Macro and an Zenitar Fisheye today :P
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #103
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
And your evidence that the alleged "discontinuation" of any given pentax DSLR model is somehow qualititatively different just because you choose to call it "discontinued" when Pentax does it but "suspended" when another manufacturer does it is...?
Don't put words in my mouth. I just responded to your answer to tibbits who was concerned about the discontinuation. I didn't claim I have any evidence on anything and I did not generate the rumor that the K-r was discontinued - I just commented on it and on your claim that such a discontinuation is not an out of ordinary event.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Note in particular John Carlson has officially acknowledge exactly what I've been saying - it is out of production, but not "discontinued" in that they still have stock in distribution.
John Carlson said this:

"That's one where the production is finished with that product. I hesitate to call it "discontinued," because there is still product in the channel."

If production "is finished", then it is not suspended. Suspended implies the possibility of resuming. That he hesitates to call it discontinued doesn't mean anything. Discontinued means out of production and if production is finished, then you're fresh out of it!
01-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Pentax UK confirmed the K-r is discontinued, the K-5 is not. There was a link posted above.
We Interview Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin
Well, I stand corrected, with a caveat. It's out of production, but not discontinued until existing stock runs out, which they figure will be next month or so. So it's inevitable (which we expected anyway, with the usual life cycle of Pentax DSLRs). At least they said something on it, though I still haven't seen a word from Pentax Japan, or US. I suppose the announcement will be when that existing stock is expended.

This still doesn't mean that B&H didn't drastically jump the gun on this, resulting in a lot of unnecessary confusion and angst.

QuoteQuote:
So on the subject of Ricoh / Pentax, will there be closer integration of products?
The company logo is "Pentax, a Ricoh Company" so it is inevitable that there will be Ricoh technology in Pentax cameras and vice versa, however the two seperate camera lines will continue. We have a strong following for Ricoh GR cameras for example, and an extremely loyal Pentax fanbase that we are interested in re-connecting with.
As generic answers go, this is reassuring.
01-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Well, I stand corrected, with a caveat. It's out of production, but not discontinued until existing stock runs out, which they figure will be next month or so.
A product is discontinued when it is no longer being made, i.e. production has ceased. However the K-r is available and there is a stockpile intended to fill demand for some unspecified time period. I assume this means that the production line that made the K-r is being retooled to make, or is already making, the K-r replacement.