Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Nass, your comments and Flickr link are very helpful.

01-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
You might find this macro studio setup a handy reference.
Wow! That is an incredibly useful link. I had never heard of the Proxxon table, but it provides an obvious alternative to putting the camera/bellows on a focus rail and also allows for precision movement for focus stacking. My Pentax Bellows has both upper and lower rails, but the lower rail is clamped rather than geared and thus is only useful for fairly rough focus adjustment.

Steve
01-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! That is an incredibly useful link. I had never heard of the Proxxon table, but it provides an obvious alternative to putting the camera/bellows on a focus rail and also allows for precision movement for focus stacking.

Steve

out of curiosity how is it any different than a focus rail?

People use focus rails to move the subject while keeping the camera/lens stable all the time, in fact its usually preferred since moving less weight is always better than more
01-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
out of curiosity how is it any different than a focus rail?

People use focus rails to move the subject while keeping the camera/lens stable all the time, in fact its usually preferred since moving less weight is always better than more
Tanner, did you follow the link? The Proxxon table is used for precision micro machine work and is basically similar to a focus rail with calibrated movements. The main difference is that it is designed to be bolted to a surface rather than mounted to a tripod and is available at a price much less than a similar focus rail from RRS, Kirk, or Novoflex. You can use a table or workstand for the subject (very stable) and simplify the camera/bellows/tripod setup immensely.

Steve

01-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tanner, did you follow the link? The Proxxon table is used for precision micro machine work and is basically similar to a focus rail with calibrated movements. The main difference is that it is designed to be bolted to a surface rather than mounted to a tripod and is available at a price much less than a similar focus rail from RRS, Kirk, or Novoflex. You can use a table or workstand for the subject (very stable) and simplify the camera/bellows/tripod setup immensely.

Steve
Ah gotcha, I didn't know you were comparing it to something like the ebay "focus rails" or whatnot (rrs, novoflex, etc. all basically the same). I was referring to a linear stage which is often specified as a focus rail as well

edit:

i.e.

01-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Ah gotcha, I didn't know you were comparing it to something like the ebay "focus rails" or whatnot (rrs, novoflex, etc. all basically the same). I was referring to a linear stage which is often specified as a focus rail as well

edit:

i.e.
In your lingo it is a two-axis linear micro stage; each dial increment is 0.05mm.

SEE: http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/27100.php