Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Here I found a guide for disassembling the older black M42 version.
It turns out that this guide also applies to the later black version. It just looks a little different on the outside. I managed to take it apart without a spanner. It appears that what looked like shiny bare metal from the outside is really paint missing at the edge of the concave rear element of the front triplet. I took to it with a black Sharpie. Unfortunately, I didn't get the ink to perfectly block the light from the edge of the element everywhere and it does not appear to reduce the glow by a whole lot (this is without a hood). It seems to me the reason is that there is still a similar problem with paint loss at a lens element edge in the rear triplet. More work to do...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
:  Photo 

Last edited by Ikarus; 01-18-2012 at 02:21 AM.
01-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #47
Pentaxian

It turns out that this guide also applies to the later black version. It just looks a little different on the outside. I managed to take it apart without a spanner. It appears that what looked like shiny bare metal from the outside is really paint missing at the edge of the concave rear element of the front triplet. I took to it with a black Sharpie. Unfortunately, I didn't get the ink to perfectly block the light from the edge of the element everywhere and it does not appear to reduce the glow by a whole lot (this is without a hood). It seems to me the reason is that there is still a similar problem with paint loss at a lens element edge in the rear triplet. More work to do...
I admire your determination and look forward to seeing more results from this. Was the sharpie the permanent type? I used to use these to touch-up things in the past and noticed that most of them weren't truly back. But I think there are true black permanent markers out there though.
01-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #48
Veteran Member

When I took out the rear optical block, a shiny bare aluminum shim ring came out. How anyone can think having something like this inside a lens would be a good idea, is beyond me. It got the permanent Sharpie treatment, and this produces the result below without the use of a hood. I'm still seeing reflections from the unmatted internal black plastic, when I peek inside from the rear, but there is probably nothing that can be done about that.

Now I have some glass-cleaning to do and to put this thing back together properly. I'll post a few proper f/2 shots once I get a chance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Ikarus; 01-19-2012 at 01:58 AM.
01-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #49
Veteran Member

As I said, another culprit for the reflections was the short ledge of unmatted plastic at the inside end of the rear triplet enclosure. I applied some heavy-handed flocking using self-adhesive felt. Now, when you peek through the lens you see fuzzy felt fibers reach into the FOV and I did not even bother to clean all of the sticky residue around the inside of the felt ring, but all this does not seem to affect image quality, probably because of the APS-C crop factor. The level of internal light reflections, however, is definitely much improved. This was f/2, 1/80s, hand-held, 3200ASA, without hood, some contrast enhancement in post:

Attached Images

Last edited by Ikarus; 01-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.
01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Wow great job on that!
And the image looks much better than before too.

Have you considered posting an official repair procedure?
I think this would make a valuable reference for others as well.
01-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Thanks! I wouldn't dare calling this hack job an official repair procedure. I don't think I would be able to sell it anymore after what I did to the poor thing, at least not without removing the felt, re-aligning the red mark with the preset scale clicks (it is slightly off now), cleaning it properly and finding out where those two tiny screws should go that I have left over after putting it back together. The good thing is that with the way it performs now, I wouldn't want to sell it anymore anyway.

The best I would hope for is that someone more experienced has been inspired to come up with a clean and definitive black J-9 improvement guide.

F/2, hood used, some contrast enhancement applied in post:
Attached Images

Last edited by Ikarus; 01-29-2012 at 01:20 AM.
01-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks! I wouldn't dare calling this hack job an official repair procedure. I don't think I would be able to sell it anymore after what I did to the poor thing, at least not without removing the felt, re-aligning the red mark with the preset scale clicks (it is slightly off now), cleaning it properly and finding out where those two tiny screws should go that I have left over after putting it back together. The good thing is that with the way it performs now, I wouldn't want to sell it anymore anyway.

The best I would hope for is that someone more experienced has been inspired to come up with a clean and definitive black J-9 improvement guide.

F/2, hood used, some contrast enhancement applied in post:
it now performs almost exactly like my J9.
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Dear All,

I'm back looking for opinions that could help me decide on this lens.

I am currently completing my Ultimate Lens Line-Up (based on the focals that i may need in the future).

I already have the:
CZ Flektogon 35mm 2.4
SMC K 55mm 1.8
Revuenon 55mm 1.2
Jupiter 37A 135mm 3.5
Vivitar (Komine) 200mm 3.5
Tamron 28-75 2.8

I have the chance to get the SMC Takumar 28mm 3.5 first version (49mm thread) tonight.

The only thing that's missing is a focal between 55mm and 135mm where the 85mm pops-up...

I will mainly use this lens for portraits (i've read that this lens is Not Good at all as all-purpose but can keep up with other 85's for portraits.
Please give me your opinions about this lens (I think I like its bokeh and portrait shots)

After these two, i think Im done with my list...

Thanks in advance...
Change of plan/list

I got the SMC Takumar 28 3.5 but still wasn't satisfied with it's wide angle view... sold it...
Sold the tamron 28-75 (due to back focus problem and cant find a way to install the debug mode on my K-X)...
selling the CZ Flektogon 35 2.4 tonight...

Current List
DA 16-45 - now got the perfect lens for landscape/ walk-around and its pretty sharp... love it
FA 50 1.7 - Fast / sharp and contrasty ... love the bokeh
Revuenon (Cosina) 55 1.2 - what more can i say... best lens bokeh i've tested
Jupiter 37A 135 3.5 - Love the FL for portraits, smooth bokeh as well
Vivitar (Komine) 200 3.5 - one of the sharpest (or the sharpest) lens I ever owned

about to get the Jupiter-9 85 2 next week... I think i'll be done with my list (wish me luck...) as am fully covered for all types of photog...

I don't think the softness of the lens is anything negative on my part. Basing on the portraits i've seen with this lens, i do like the perspective/bokeh and softness or glow (whatever you call it) at f2.

I'll post some pics a week from now...

02-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Current List
DA 16-45 - now got the perfect lens for landscape/ walk-around and its pretty sharp... love it
FA 50 1.7 - Fast / sharp and contrasty ... love the bokeh
Revuenon (Cosina) 55 1.2 - what more can i say... best lens bokeh i've tested
Jupiter 37A 135 3.5 - Love the FL for portraits, smooth bokeh as well
Vivitar (Komine) 200 3.5 - one of the sharpest (or the sharpest) lens I ever owned

about to get the Jupiter-9 85 2 next week... I think i'll be done with my list (wish me luck...) as am fully covered for all types of photog...
Ah, you still need a Vivitar-Kiron 24/2, which really is great indoors; and a Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA, which is great anywhere; and a Vivitar 90/2.5 or 90/2.8 macro, which are deadly sharp; and Helios-44 58/2 and Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8, for the bokeh; and a good-quality 1.4x front adapter, to turn your 55/1.2 into a 77/1.2, for stupendous effect.

QuoteQuote:
I'll post some pics a week from now...
Sometime soon, eh?