Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

What, I haven't posted here yet? Amazing. OK, my experiences and views:

* I use Fast Fifties to grab otherwise impossible shots, not for edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness.
* I love using flatfield lenses, but I don't expect the 'pop' associated with curved-field lenses.
* Differences in color and rendering are rendered somewhat moot when developing RAW images.

* I have K50/1.2, ST & FA 501/4, planar Yashica ML 50/1.4, Tomioka 55/1.4, and many slower 50s.
* The K50/1.2 is the best optically of these. The FA50/1.4 is the most usable. All are pretty good.
* I won't dispose of any of those, nor the slower 50s. All have their own strengths & weaknesses.

* For AF lenses, the FA50/1.4 is likely the most cost-effective. Marginal improvements are costly.
* If you can stomach MF and dremeling, OM & C/Y & NI 50/1.4s are available and easily modded.
* If you have any hopes of FF, don't buy a DA lens. Otherwise, if budget allows, get the DA55*.

You know the decision points: cost; weight; FF vs APS; flexibility; cost. Did I mention cost? Just don't agonize over this too much. Other factors in life actually are more important than the selection of a Fast Fifty. Have fun!

01-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
guess what lens I could sell with profit?... So there you go,

Regards
P
Ahh fair enough, I understand.
The FA43 would be the first I'd sell too, giving me the biggest profit gain of the bunch

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-17-2012 at 01:03 AM.
01-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SaikouShadou Quote
I'm torn apart from two 50mm 1.4, they both are different in their own ways.

Disregarding the price differance of the two lens. I need help on deciding on which I should rather get.

Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 vs Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar-T

The major differance of the two is one is has Autofocus and the other Manual, I do use manual focusing alot with my DA 40 and 18-55 WR, but it is handing having AF.

Why I picked car zeiss is the long focus ring (is that what you call it?), it'll feel nicer when focusing, which this lens itll feel nice when I'm on video mode on the K-7 (since there is no af during recording).

What I would like to know is, which of the two is better in IQ, Bokeh (love it), sharp, or smooth?

If the FA 50mm 1.4, how does the pentax-m 50mm 1.4's focusing feel like? long like the carl zeiss?

thanks in advance.
The DA* should be better than the FA. I have the FA, it is good, but not inspiring - the Nokton is better. Never got to use the DA* but from the samples I've seen, I expect it to be closer to the Nokton. The FA has some strong LoCA, which can be nasty on an OOF eye. It can be focused manually just fine, btw.

I don't know about the Zeiss, but if you don't necessarily need the 1.4, the Zeiss macro 50/2 has received an even more stellar review at photozone than the 50/1.4 - check the Nikon APS-C section.

Get the DA* if you like AF, get Zeiss/Voigtlander if you like MF.
01-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rico, just love your practical approach!

01-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Rico, just love your practical approach!
Thanks. I've had lots of practice. All because of this simple rule:
We gain good judgment from our experiences.
We gain experience by making bad judgments.
Wisdom comes from surviving screw-ups. May all your adventures be survivable!