Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Using K mounts on a NEX

With Nex 3 bodies being practically given away I was wondering about buying one in order to use my old K-M lenses on it. Obviously they aren't autofocus, but what are the limitations, do DL lenses work and is it worth it?

01-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
With Nex 3 bodies being practically given away I was wondering about buying one in order to use my old K-M lenses on it. Obviously they aren't autofocus, but what are the limitations, do DL lenses work and is it worth it?
You can use any K-mount lenses on a NEX provided you buy an adapter (which are as cheap as $20). If you want to use DA lenses (w/o aperture rings), you'll have to purchase an adapter that lets you adjust the aperture via the adapter (you can find those for around the same price, maybe a couple dollars more).
01-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a trade off. The lenses work fine, some in stellar fashion. But you need to consider the size and weight of the lens. My Tamron 28-75/2.8 isn't what I ever considered a big lens on my K20/grip. On the NEX-5N it's huge. Not unworkable, but it really dwarfs the camera body. I have a Contax 28-85/3.3-40 that's even worse. My vivitar 24/2.8 w/adapter is about the same size as the kit lens, though quite a bit heavier.

Also you need to consider how easily the lens is manually focused. Most AF lenses have pretty bad manual focus ability (compared to manual focus lenses) because of the short throw. Usually not a huge issue unless it's a fast lens being used wide open. Focus peaking/magnification is a huge help here.

On the plus side, pretty much any camera lens can be adapted to the NEX series bodies, including the old Pentax 110 lenses, etc. so you aren't limited to one manufacturer/mount for legacy lenses. Anything from $10 to $10,000+ is fair game.

You really only have time and a bit of cash to lose. And even if you decide not to use legacy lenses, the NEX series is a pretty nice lightweight travel camera with e-mount lenses.

My thoughts after owning the 5N for 2 months, YMMV.