Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Everybody is talking about the 43's character, what exactly is this "character" that separates it to other lenses.

01-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Everybody is talking about the 43's character, what exactly is this "character" that separates it to other lenses.
The FA 50mm 1.4 slept with my best friend and left me at the alter. The 43 is supposed to be much more upstanding.
01-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess smooth OOF and its rich color
01-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Out of curiosity, what Fifties do you think are better than the FA50/1.4, and at what cost?
I meant in absolute terms. If the query was bang for the buck I wouldn't hesitate in calling it a great lens. For the price the FA 50mm f/1.4 is a great lens but isn't that true of a lot of the older Pentax lenses?

I've shot and compared the Sigma 50mm to the FA and in my eyes, the Sigma clearly performed better. The DA* 55 is another one. Obviously these costs quite a bit more, especially the DA*.

01-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I had A50/1.7 and FA50/1.4.

I prefer 1.4 over 1.7 because it's there when you need it.

Regarding on FA50 vs FA43. (had the 50 and now have 43)
I say go for the FA50 if it is the focal length you like.

I love both of them but I think FA50 is more usable because a good lens will help you to express your idea.
I sold it mainly because I have a takumar50/1.4.
FA43 is mainly for collection because I like it much more on a FF camera.
01-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

It's very hard to define it. But a lot of folks who shot FA43 will recognize piture taken by it when lined up for test shoot against direct competition.

For my part, looking through my back pages, there are 2 lenses that delivered vast majority of my favourite pictures. K50/1.2 and FA43ltd.
01-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I've had 2 copies of the FA43mm. The thing that makes the 43mm special is the ability to convey a three dimensional rendering to subjects and the very punchy colors plus superior contrast. This lens has an almost split personality imo, rendering quite differently when shot wide open to about f/4 and when stopped down. It is susceptible to PF in backlit high contrast situations with specular reflections but other than that, it beats the two lenses that are closest in focal length to it - DA 40mm & FA 50mm.