Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Horusbennu???

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A Korean K mount lens, 50mm f/1.7...
HORUSBENNU 50mm F1.7 Lens MF for PENTAX PK SAMSUNG + UV Filter NEW | eBay

Does anybody have any experience with this one? Its so cheap I'm considering it, but if anyone has already done it and found it really bad... I wont.

01-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like some sort of Korean brand..what's more interesting is that it's not cheaper than a M or A series 50/1.7 on the sued market...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the M or A series, which would be better? What are the differences?

I must admit the pancake appearance of this Korean brand is appealing (but it might just be distorted in the shot). I wonder if its a lightweight. I've been using my old Minolta MC Rokkor with an adapter, but of course no infinity focus with that, and I had forgotten how damned heavy those old metal lenses were. Just looking for something lighter which will do the job.
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
With the M or A series, which would be better? What are the differences?
With an M lens you have no control over the aperture except from the aperture ring on the camera. You, therefore, can only use the lens in M mode. With an A lens you can control the aperture from the camera and all modes are available.

This Horus lens will function like a Pentax M lens. The body cannot control the aperture.

01-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
With an M lens you have no control over the aperture except from the aperture ring on the camera. You, therefore, can only use the lens in M mode. With an A lens you can control the aperture from the camera and all modes are available.

This Horus lens will function like a Pentax M lens. The body cannot control the aperture.
Thanks for that info. Pretty much like the current situation with the Rokkor. I don't mind setting the aperture on a ring. Might keep looking for a while then, seems like the Horusbennu is a constant presence on ebay.
01-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From what I've read the Horusbennu seems like an alright lems. It is in no way better than the Pentax version, but seriously, what do you expect from a limited* lens that cost $50? if anything the bokeh is different from the pentax and for some that's enough reason to buy it.
01-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just havent seen any shots taken with it, anywhere. Must do a google and see whats out there before I make a decision. I'm not stuck in that range, the FA 43 and my rokkor do me fine, but curiosity is getting the better of me.

[edit] OOPS. Seems like there is a whole thread with pix and I'm glad I searched now, because from what I see there... its pretty underwhelming. No purchase for me. I'll keep looking for an A or M Pentax model.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 01-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.
01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmmm - check out the bokeh _MG_3972 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - try a flickr search, there's plenty on there
01-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Hmmm - check out the bokeh _MG_3972 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - try a flickr search, there's plenty on there
And a hmmm from me too. For $52... not so bad.
01-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For a new MF lens, it's a good deal. For an MF 50 on the open market, not so great.
An M50/1.7 will be much better. An M50/2 will be much cheaper, and better.
An A50 will cost a little more, but will be much better and more usable.
Various M42 50-55s will be much better and cheaper.
Whatever turns you on, eh?

EDIT: I think this lens is perfect for a new user with a new camera who wants a new lens to delve into manual focus usage, cheap. Not everybody is comfortable buying used stuff. It's entirely rational. I started my journey through dSLR-land with all new gear. If this had been available then, I might have grabbed it.

Last edited by RioRico; 01-15-2012 at 04:31 PM.
01-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For a new MF lens, it's a good deal. For an MF 50 on the open market, not so great.
An M50/1.7 will be much better. An M50/2 will be much cheaper, and better.
An A50 will cost a little more, but will be much better and more usable.
Various M42 50-55s will be much better and cheaper.
Whatever turns you on, eh?

EDIT: I think this lens is perfect for a new user with a new camera who wants a new lens to delve into manual focus usage, cheap. Not everybody is comfortable buying used stuff. It's entirely rational. I started my journey through dSLR-land with all new gear. If this had been available then, I might have grabbed it.
What he said...

There was a thread a year or so back where a guy was strongly promoting the Horusbennu on this site. I think he may have been the seller or importer or something. The bottom line is that it is nothing special and a notch below any of the Pentax 50s and about equal to the housebrand lenses that were sometimes attached to cameras as a bait and switch during the 70s. BTW...the lens is China-made...I forget the name of the optical house.

Steve

P.S. Should probably have mentioned the weak points: build, flare resistance, and sharpness stand out in my memory...
01-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I ordered one yesterday mainly because of Nick Faiello's flickr photostream... The 'Looking Forward' images especially caught my eye... He uses it wide open in many of the images and I like both the sharpness, bokeh and colours...

For the price I can't see it being a loser... Shame there's no 'A' setting but still...
01-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Apparently its water-resistant (half way through the page "Super durable & water-resistant metal product!"), although I don't see any o-rings and I don't think anyone will be brave enough to test that claim. :P
01-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I ordered one yesterday mainly because of Nick Faiello's flickr photostream... The 'Looking Forward' images especially caught my eye... He uses it wide open in many of the images and I like both the sharpness, bokeh and colours...

For the price I can't see it being a loser... Shame there's no 'A' setting but still...
Those shots are really nice. I like the bokeh. Maybe I'll get one anyway. Looking forward to seeing your work with it, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Apparently its water-resistant (half way through the page "Super durable & water-resistant metal product!"), although I don't see any o-rings and I don't think anyone will be brave enough to test that claim. :P
Hrrmmm... yeah, I won't be one
01-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I bought a Horusbennu metal grip for the Pentax MX.
It's nicely made, well-finished and fits the camera perfectly.

Chris