Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
There is something else that looks interesting to me in the Canon 1.4 shot (which I agree that it seems better focused): the shape of the three out of focus highlights at the top right - their interior side is irregular, as if the lens was actually stopped down a bit.
I noticed that too, and you had me checking my exif there but the EF is shot wide open ideed.
And I haven't noticed that irregularity in real life shots (and I have just flicked through them)

here is real life example from that lens:

01-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I noticed that effect too whilst looking at canon bokeh samples, looks good in the center but in the edges it looks like the circles have been "sliced"

01-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I noticed that effect too whilst looking at canon bokeh samples, looks good in the center but in the edges it looks like the circles have been "sliced"
Could it be the result of using a hood?
01-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #19
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Could it be the result of using a hood?
nope, my test shots were without hood

01-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #20
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote

it's visible in those examples. Personally I don't mind it at all but I know you like your OOF perfect
01-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
it's visible in those examples. Personally I don't mind it at all but I know you like your OOF perfect
One of the reasons for buying fast lenses is bokeh. The Canon lens pretty much sucks in this regard. The out of focus highlights are awful.
01-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One of the reasons for buying fast lenses is bokeh. The Canon lens pretty much sucks in this regard. The out of focus highlights are awful.
to each his own....
01-17-2012, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I think what we're seeing is a result of comatic aberration (note the lack of 'h' and 'r' in the word) or the tendency of the shape of off-axis light sources in an image to be rendered with elongated comet-like tails that radiate outward towards the edge of the frame. 50mm primes often have problems with coma. The Polish site Lenstip.com did a review of the lens and they mention the problem here Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM review - Coma and astigmatism - Lenstip.com To be fair though the DA* didn't fare too much better when it comes to this, but perhaps the 9 elements to the Canon's 7 is to the advantage of the Pentax lens.

01-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I think what we're seeing is a result of comatic aberration (note the lack of 'h' and 'r' in the word) or the tendency of the shape of off-axis light sources in an image to be rendered with elongated comet-like tails that radiate outward towards the edge of the frame. 50mm primes often have problems with coma. The Polish site Lenstip.com did a review of the lens and they mention the problem here Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM review - Coma and astigmatism - Lenstip.com To be fair though the DA* didn't fare too much better when it comes to this, but perhaps the 9 elements to the Canon's 7 is to the advantage of the Pentax lens.
I think you're right. It could be coma that causes it. At least, now that I looked closer I noticed something similar in this shot from the Nokton 25/0.95 - a lens which also has lots of coma wide open:

The effect is noticeable in the top left highlights, but you need to look closely, because they're smaller.
01-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I came across this interesting video in my web surfing comparing the
Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Worth a watch, it looks closely at the "bokeh balls" and the aperture blades stopped down-
01-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #26
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
nice find SImon,
over at Canon community the Sigma is very highly regarded. It seems to be the middle step between the standard offering (EF50/1.4) and uber expensive (EF50/1.2L).
A lot of people though say they have AF issues. Many are sending the lenses back to Sigma to recalibrate etc. It seems to be less of an issue with newer bodies with micro AF adjustment though.
and another thing, this review hasn't touched, is that Sigma is well known to produce onions here and there in it's highlight OOF circles.
01-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
nice find SImon,
over at Canon community the Sigma is very highly regarded. It seems to be the middle step between the standard offering (EF50/1.4) and uber expensive (EF50/1.2L).
A lot of people though say they have AF issues. Many are sending the lenses back to Sigma to recalibrate etc. It seems to be less of an issue with newer bodies with micro AF adjustment though.
and another thing, this review hasn't touched, is that Sigma is well known to produce onions here and there in it's highlight OOF circles.
Yeah Sigma QC will always be its let-down, its a gamble to buy one with-out testing forehand which is hard for some people to do if none are local.
Good point about the onion too, another important factor too consider.

Also from that video I watched another by the same mob testing the 85L , I noticed it had "sliced" bokeh in it

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-19-2012 at 06:19 AM.
01-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #28
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll be posting couple of "portraits" soon. Basicaly pics of my baby boy. One thing where I think EF50/1.4 beats DA* is the general OOF when the background lacks light sources. The Canon lens seems very smooth, smoother that the 55 but then again, stopped down and/or with highlights in the frame the tables turn.. Anyway, will let the pictures speak for themselves soon.