Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA*55 vs EF50/1.4

I was asked to compare the two so here it comes.
3 pictures form each. Manual exposure, the same exposure times and f stops ISO fixed at 100. Cameras on tripod on the same spot.
First observation K mount set up underexposed compared to the Canon (one could easily say Canon overexposed )

Anyway, I will leave rest of the observations for you. Make of it what you will.

side by side, left is DA* right is EF

@f1.4

@f2.8

@f5.6

01-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comparison, obviously the EF is no DA* but it doesnt do too bad. I will keep it on my list for FF.
01-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I love the creamy bokeh of the EF at f/1.4, but prefer the bokeh of the DA* at f/2.8.

Nice comparison, thanks. Nothing like a new mount to kick in a huge case of LBA, huh? I hear you also picked up the 100 f/2!

01-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bokeh of the DA* 55 puts it in a league of its own. Also, the DoF at f/1.4 of the Pentax lens looks considerably shallower, or maybe it's because of the extra 5mm of focal length which makes the aperture about 4mm wider, but you might have a touch of back focus.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 01-15-2012 at 07:00 PM.
01-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The bokeh of the DA* 55 puts it in a league of its own. Also, the DoF at f/1.4 of the Pentax lens looks considerably shallower, or maybe it's because of the extra 5mm of focal length which makes the aperture about 4mm wider, but you might have a touch of back focus.
It's bit of both I believe. The DOF is thinner + I think the shots are touch back focused.

As for the OOF rendering. I agree when the DA* is stopped down. I never warmed up to it's highlights rendreing while wide open...
01-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I love the creamy bokeh of the EF at f/1.4, but prefer the bokeh of the DA* at f/2.8.

Nice comparison, thanks. Nothing like a new mount to kick in a huge case of LBA, huh? I hear you also picked up the 100 f/2!

I agree on the EF wide open here. And since that's where it's going to be used like 80% of the time, I'm very pleased with the results...

LBA? Oh yes, problem is that with 9 months old at home and Mrs at home with him, there's no spare cash... but one day soon

As for 100/2, beautiful lens. Just about the size of FA135/2.8. Nice sharpness, fast AF. Really nice lens...but I might end up selling it to fund my wide angle side of things (24/1.4L ideally )
01-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer the DA *55 rendering myself, but certainly the EF 50 isn't too shabby either.

01-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is it just me that thinks the EF looks MUCH sharper then?

Something can't be right with the test set-up as some of TOUGEFC's (a member here) shots with DA*55 are much sharper at f1.4...
01-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think OP said the shots are back focused
01-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In the wide open shot the DA* is significantly back focused. I personally prefer the DA*'s rendering... Canon has a tendency to overexpose.
01-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This comparison shows just how shallow a depth of field the DA*55 produces wide open. The figurines eyes are in focus but the beard is not. Isn't this exactly what people want who crave shooting wide open? By f2.8 the DA*55 is showing just how much better a lens it is from the EF50.

The DA*55 from this comparison is a much better portrait lens than the EF50. There is better color and contrast in the DA*55 images. The out of focus areas in all cases are better in the DA*55 unless you prefer the hexagon highlights from the EF50. There is a better sense of isolation of the subject by the DA*55 in all the images. The sharpness of the DA*55 renders much more naturally than the EF50 as well. Much more film like which is one of Pentax's strengths in their sensor algorithms. The EF50 has a plastic look which is more of Canon sensor trait.
01-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Is it just me that thinks the EF looks MUCH sharper then?

Something can't be right with the test set-up as some of TOUGEFC's (a member here) shots with DA*55 are much sharper at f1.4...
As I have admitted, the shots are smidge badckfocused. But truth is it was very, sorry but VERY hard job to coax the sharpnes and detail from K-7 + DA*55 that would compare to Simon's (TOUGEFC's) shots from K-5 + DA*55. On the other side, I do have quite destructive PPing to get the colours I like. Having said that, these shots have 0 PPing save from RAW>JPEG conversion and resixe for web...
01-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
In the wide open shot the DA* is significantly back focused. I personally prefer the DA*'s rendering... Canon has a tendency to overexpose.
Canon exposes much brighter, but I don't mind...I actually prefer it
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
As I have admitted, the shots are smidge badckfocused
Sorry man... I missed that in your second post... I will try and pay more attention to detail...

Yeah, his shots make me: a) want to spend a lot of money and b) just be better...
01-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
There is something else that looks interesting to me in the Canon 1.4 shot (which I agree that it seems better focused): the shape of the three out of focus highlights at the top right - their interior side is irregular, as if the lens was actually stopped down a bit.