Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

Decision on telephoto lens

Trying to deceide which lens I should go with. The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 or the older Sigma 70-200 F2.8 without the shake reduction in it. I read where the Tamron was made with plastic and the Sigma was metal. Should this be a concern?. I heard a lot of good things about the Tamron. Where as the older Sigma not so much. I was going for the Pentax 60 250 F4. But figured the faster lens would be better. Plus the savings over the Pentax is a big consideration.

01-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I put my hands on a Tamron the other day. It's heavy and the build quality is perfect. I put the deposit down on one and should have it in a few weeks. Normally I buy from B&H, but I owed it to the brick and motar store where I held it at for them to get the sale.
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma easily beats the Tamron in terms of build quality and focus speed. Optically both are good but I opted for the Sigma because the Tamron feels cheap and it shows.
From friends who use the Tamron a lot, they all tell me the lens sucks in dust over time when zooming.
01-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ron2352 Quote
plastic
There is nothing wrong with plastic. Don't live in the '70's :-)

01-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Agree. Besides, the Sigma is 2X the cost.
01-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I didn't like about the tamron was its AF/MF clutch- it's not very modern. Apart from that, the IQ is on par the Sigma.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Agree. Besides, the Sigma is 2X the cost.
Ha... and my Sigma 150-500mm (a rather heavy lens) has, GASP, a plastic tripod collar base!??

Okay, there's gotta be metal in there somewhere (the tripod thread is metal), but it certainly feels like the majority of it's some kind of tough... plastic!

Anyhow, to the OP, let your budget and personal preference for build materials be your guide. I have a seriously heavy, all-metal bodied, mid-80's russian prime that seems built like garbage compared to an all-plastic modern lens.
01-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The plastic build on the Tamron 70-200 is pretty solid; it doesn't feel cheap and there's enough heft to it. It's about 75% the weight of the Sigma I think, which is significant. The focus noise is loud when going from infinity to near focus and back, but for micro adjustments there is literally no sound.

The IQ difference wide open is big. The Tamron is equal to the Canon 70-200 V2, while the Sigma doesn't resolve as much and has more CA. Stopped down to F8 I believe they are pretty equal though.

The Tamron does suck in dust. Mine's collected quite a bit. IQ is still amazing (sharpest of all my lenses, next to the M50 1.7), and it has been critical during low-light events where I was part of the audience. So if cost is a concern, the Tamron is unbeatable in value. If you have the money and you aren't so worried about shooting wide open, the Sigma is pretty worth it.

01-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you have a K5, I think the 60-250 is in the hunt. It is more flexible for wildlife along with landscapes. I you want it for people, I still think the pentax 50-135 is a good choice.

I have the 60-250 hanging from a rapid strap even when shooting with my 500 sigma. Biggest drawback with the 60-250 is that the lens extends as it zooms. Not nice when taking pics of people, but then I use the 50-135.

An optimist will get the 70-200 so it can be used for their future FF pentax.
01-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
klh
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The only thing I didn't like about the tamron was its AF/MF clutch- it's not very modern. Apart from that, the IQ is on par the Sigma.
I have the Tamron 70-200/2.8, and that would be my only complaint. The clutch would be fine if it actually disabled the AF pin, but you have to switch the lens and the camera to use MF.

Other than that, I love mine, and I think the build and image quality is excellent. If it was all metal, I couldn't hand hold it for an entire swim meet!
01-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have a question for the OP as to his comment about old sigmas.

I have the sigma APO 70-200f2.8 EX (non DG non macro) and consider it to be one of the best lenses in this focal length that there is available. It is true that later screw drive lenses especially the macro version, and the first HSM lens were soft especially at 200mm but not the original. The other nice thing about the original is that the tele converts work with it. If you can find a non macro version of the lens it is well worth it
01-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #12

I have also an old version of sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX (non DG and non macro). Although I didn't compare it to tamron 70-200 f2.8, other sigma 70-200 f2.8 or pentax FA* 80-200 f2.8 I just can say that it is as good as it gets. The reason why I went for sigma was smiple: it was available on Swedish ebay clone for a very reasonable price, and it is definitly a keeper. It is one of my 3 lenses with "wow" factor (2 other are Pentax FA 50 f1.4 and Sigma 105 f2.8 macro 1:1). Unfortutely as all other "big" lenses it does not see as much usage as I would like to.