Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think a smart person looking at the resale value of 645 lenses over the past few years could estimate the impact... (645D, ahem!)

01-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I think a smart person looking at the resale value of 645 lenses over the past few years could estimate the impact... (645D, ahem!)
Apples and oranges IMO.

Before the release of the 645D, there was very little (if any) demand for 645 glass for use on digital bodies.

Before the release of a [potential] Pentax FF digital body, there is still plenty of demand for FF glass for use on digital crop bodies.
01-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I have not seen any lens that combines MF and AF in any usable way, the requirements for MF and AF are mostly at odds with each other.
I think the focus by wire method could be more flexible than standard focusing mechanisms - at least for precision if not for feel.
01-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #19

Original Poster
What fun discussion that we all hope we can someday find the answer to - such great responses and passion around this topic!

My take - good glass is good glass and will hold it's value - look at the Super Tak M42 screwmount 50mm1.4 - it still commands around $100 on a format that has been obsolete for years - because it's good glass. I do agree with others though that new glass (or a refresh of current glass) would be needed - it's a shame that the DA and DA* lineup is not FF or the groundwork would already be laid. And the engineering of new glass might just be the reason Pentax will go another direction (i.e. mirrorless) with bodies and lenses in the future.

01-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think many who buy initially will already have lenses though they may then buy more
Good point! I meant to mention that, honest.
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by olivemike Quote
What fun discussion that we all hope we can someday find the answer to - such great responses and passion around this topic!

My take - good glass is good glass and will hold it's value - look at the Super Tak M42 screwmount 50mm1.4 - it still commands around $100 on a format that has been obsolete for years - because it's good glass. I do agree with others though that new glass (or a refresh of current glass) would be needed - it's a shame that the DA and DA* lineup is not FF or the groundwork would already be laid. And the engineering of new glass might just be the reason Pentax will go another direction (i.e. mirrorless) with bodies and lenses in the future.
Actually all m42 prices have been rising for a similar reason as the subject of this thread -- you can use them with an adapter not only on Pentax, but with many other new digital bodies including micro 4/3. If you compare average prices of identical lenses but with different mounts (like old Vivitars), you'll find that the m42 versions are getting higher prices than k-mount or any other. They are potentially in-demand by practically anyone with an interchangeable lens camera.
01-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #22

In my opinion price is going to rise for ultra wide zooms, since the value of them is not as high as it could be on APS size senzor. In this category I have mostly in mind Sigma and Tamron 17-35 and even Pentax F 17-28 fisheye.
01-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it will go up immediately on an announcement, but some of the lenses are already priced to market vs the competition (Eg. Sigma 85/1.4 vs FA*85/1.4), while FF versions exists on some others (eg. FA ltds; some for the DA* )

Some lenses may even drop in price as Pentax will have to follow up with new lenses catered for the FF format.
Eg.
A*135/1.8 (esp when compared to Canikon 135/2 versions)
FA*80-200 (an then there is already Sigma and Tamron 70-200)
A*85/1.4