Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Full Frame lenses and value if a FF camera is introduced

Purely a hypothetical game here, but I'm curious as to peoples thoughts about what would happen to the resale value of the FF lenses on the marketplace. Does anyone think the used prices would go up or even soar?

01-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes
01-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Possibly. If Pentax comes out with replacements for them, though, they will probably reduce in resale value.

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-16-2012 at 12:35 PM.
01-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Naturally they'd go up. I don't know about "soaring" because with a new high-end model most will want high-end glass and most of that will be available new which will cap the used prices.

01-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, FF lenses will rise in price -- until people start checking edge quality.
01-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olivemike Quote
Purely a hypothetical game here, but I'm curious as to peoples thoughts about what would happen to the resale value of the FF lenses on the marketplace. Does anyone think the used prices would go up or even soar?
I agree with Jay, it could go either way. If, and it's still a pretty big if, Pentax releases a FF body, they'll almost certainly want/need to release new FF lenses to go with it. How those lenses perform, and how much they cost, will dictate what happens to the used prices of existing FF glass. Obviously if it performs better and the cost isn't too high, it will likely drive down the price of used legacy glass. If the new glass is overpriced and/or doesn't perform as well, legacy glass could increase in value.
01-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

while there may be a marginal increase in some FA lenses that are not available any longer other than used market. I don't see a lot happening.

There are already many many lenses on the market from the likes of tamron and sigma that are full frame already and in current production, I doubt these will change at all.

what may happen is depending on how many go full frame, demand for some lenses will rise a little, and others will drop a little, but overall i think the market would be stable.

People who want an FA 80-200 either have it already, or the sigma or tamron FF alternatives.

01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
while there may be a marginal increase in some FA lenses that are not available any longer other than used market. I don't see a lot happening.

There are already many many lenses on the market from the likes of tamron and sigma that are full frame already and in current production, I doubt these will change at all.

what may happen is depending on how many go full frame, demand for some lenses will rise a little, and others will drop a little, but overall i think the market would be stable.

People who want an FA 80-200 either have it already, or the sigma or tamron FF alternatives.
Also there is the likelihood that if a FF is introduced some of the items that are quite high priced in the used market (FA*85 for instance or the 80-200) will also be relaunched in DFA variants with new coatings and probably WR and SDM to serve the needs of the market (and make money of course) In that case I think some of the older product will lose some value depending on the price of the new item. I doubt the FA LTD market will change at all since they are already in production and command a premium in the used market as well.
Any of the more mediocre base level lenses (ie basic zooms and slow primes) if a new model came out would devalue pretty fast I think.
01-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't think it will make much difference at all, maybe firm up the prices at bit. I base that on assuming the number of FF cameras sold will be very small compared to the number of most old lens for sale.
01-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I don't think it will make much difference at all, maybe firm up the prices at bit. I base that on assuming the number of FF cameras sold will be very small compared to the number of most old lens for sale.
it may not be that small depending on the pricing, but I think many who buy initially will already have lenses though they may then buy more (nothing like a new camera to drive LBA)
01-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

And you think when a FF body is coming out, Ricoh Pentax would not introduce newer FF lenses?
Either old design FF MF lenses in newer coating, or slightly modify to adapt AF, could be the most profitable income the years to come.
Old MF lenses will then only have a short value until they are replaced.

But will the new ricoh pentax company have enough fund to run marketing to compete with canikon? Strategy? Survey? Or is it too late for a dslr FF release? Or maybe a new ricoh GXx FF module? Or how would pentax capture a larger market share?

May be a new FF dslr that designed for MF and AF, better suited MF than current K5 (Optical VF or EVF, split screen or S type, etc) current dslr has weaknesses with MF (mirror flips when release with LV...). This FF body will be the base to sell more of MF lenses, with a remix of best K, M, A, FA newer coating, may be with improved design... Then we may talk about marketshare...

There less MF pentax lenses out there. Lenses being chopped the aperture lever... Unless you have accumulated a more less completed set of lenses, i see one day a pentaxian being forced to change system, if they still love photography...
01-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olivemike Quote
I think we could see a market reaction at the announcement stage. However, I'm also thinking that the DSLR will one day come to an end when mirroless takes hold. Which incidentally, would allow for a much broader range of glass options thus driving the prices lower.

Hopefully.

Having said that, how I wish I could go back in time and scoop up all those amazing lenses that everyone thought were dead in the water when DSLR's hit the market. Oh the irony!
01-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Old MF lenses will then only have a short value until they are replaced.
I am of the opinion that these old MF lenses cannot be replaced anymore.
Some points to consider.
Many like/prefer MF lens
I have not seen any lens that combines MF and AF in any usable way, the requirements for MF and AF are mostly at odds with each other.

Old lens were designed by highly skilled people using their eyes as the final arbitrator of what was best.
New lens are designed by computer, numbers decide what is best.
Both methods have pluses and the end result is different.

Last edited by riff; 01-16-2012 at 09:29 PM.
01-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I have not seen any lens that combines MF and AF in any usable way, the requirements for MF and AF are mostly at odds with each other.
Well, Quick-Shift on the DA Limiteds comes close.
01-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that there is a good chance of old FF glass to rise if a FF Pentax body came out.
Increased Demand = Increased Prices

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-16-2012 at 08:54 PM.