Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My one fast K-50 an F7, it's built almost like a pancake lens, very light, very discreet, very snappy looking, and it's a sharp little thing. It's a cheerful lens to use. I have other 50's but none of them are quite like that one. It's perfect on the K-x.

01-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
My one fast K-50 an F7, it's built almost like a pancake lens, very light, very discreet, very snappy looking, and it's a sharp little thing.
A K50 F7? I missed that one.
01-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A K50 F7? I missed that one.
I think she meant the K 50mm f/1.7 - f/7 is pretty slow for a 50mm lens, I own over 178 50mm lenses for 35mm cameras and the slowest one I have in that collection is a 5cm lens featuring a wide aperture of f/5.6* - but it is a tiny lens.

The truth is the image quality from it isn't half bad, considering it was made in the late 40's though it is a bit unfair to expect it to match anything like what you get from a faster(f/2) lens stopped down to f/5.6 but it sharpens up nicely at f/8.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-22-2012 at 07:00 AM.
01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I think she meant the K 50mm f/1.7 - f/7 is pretty slow for a 50mm lens, I own over 178 50mm lenses for 35mm cameras and the slowest one I have in that collection is a 5cm lens featuring a wide aperture of f/5.6* - but it is a tiny lens[I].
I just checked. My slowest in the neighborhood is a Kodak Anastigmat 54/7.7, a copy lens I suppose with no aperture. Not exactly a speed demon...

01-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I just checked. My slowest in the neighborhood is a Kodak Anastigmat 54/7.7, a copy lens I suppose with no aperture. Not exactly a speed demon...
The 5cm f/5.6 is in 39mm screwmount and it can fit onto a leica - I haven't been able to track down the maker of this particular lens, I'll have to dig deeper...when I have the time.
01-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I own over 178 50mm lenses for 35mm cameras
That is mind-boggling. Open a museum for goodness sake !
01-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I'm with you on the K50/1.2 for constantly astonishing me and would add the K28/2.0.

Phil.
I'm going to have to get mine out and play with it a bit more because at the moment I find the Cosina f1.2, with it's stunning quirky bokeh, stomps all over it for personality and is never out of my bag.
01-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The F series lenses look and feel really dated imo. The focusing rings are very narrow and the hard plastic makes manual focusing tedious. The orange lettering is definitely garish especially since the lens body isn't even black in color. The rubber on the lens barrel is easy to peel away at the edges and dust is easy to show up in the clear focusing window. A short lived mistake in the annals of Pentax history.
Tend to agree. I bought a Spotmatic package on EBay that included the F 50/1.4 (now sold), AFA 1x 1.7 (will never sell), F 70-210 (lovely little lens that I almost never use, sharp but noisy - can't part with it yet though) and a F 28-80 (for sale, packaged and ready to go and residing with my daughter in London). I hate the look and feel of this plasticky series but there's no denying the optics are damn good.

01-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Lenses have personality !

For example, my Kiron 28mm f2, i wasn't fully happy of it when i bought it (was such a great deal i couldn't resist ), the colors don't "pop" like with my DA 40/2.8, the MF is turning the wrong side (comparing to Pentax one), the filter thread is damaged, so i could'nt use filter.

See ? A very bad start for this one.

But, the rendering is very special : it's like grainy at f2. Gives some impression of film somehow. it have some very special distorsion, not much visible, but just slighty present to give you the impression of difference compared to the day to day 18-55, DA40 or 55mm.

This lens is like a genius punkette : not very appealing but with secret charms

I call this personality : a very unique and lovely special thing, that make a lens be one of THE lenses.
Haha. You know it baby, high-spec, off-brand, charmingly-barrel-distorted, And prone get dusty for some reason.

I was hoping for a cleverer metaphor the other day, but it didn't come to me.
01-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Haha. You know it baby, high-spec, off-brand, charmingly-barrel-distorted, And prone get dusty for some reason.
even the "basic" Helios 44 series have some strong personality, at least on the Bokeh, and the distortion. the "high spec" are not really a criteria

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I was hoping for a cleverer metaphor the other day
i tried some brainstorming to find some, but it didn't come either ...
01-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If these lenses are so undesirable, why doesn't an F50/1.7 or F28/2.8 ever last more than 15 minutes in the Marketplace? Sell for less than $225 - that seems to be the clearing price for either.
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't exactly those two lenses among the highest ranked Pentax lenses in old Photodo lens survey?
01-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
For me nothing tops these K Series classics for personality!! All have built-in filters which are perfect for us film shooters.

Phil.
I concur this statement on K Series ..... K20/4 really wonderful lens, K85/1.8 in my short own experience easily on par with Limited telephotos, K30/2.8 very close to pixie dust of FA31..... would love to try K28/2 and K50/1.2 one day....
However I have to admit F lenses have some very distinct look regarding their build
01-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I have an F24-50 f4 zoom. I don't mind the look at all. The build is such that I would take it out in varied weather conditions. On top of that it is a great lens. 8 blades.

For a lens with personality I would say the M20 f4. Just something about this lens that produces great shots. Stopped down of course. I found a screw on round metal hood for it at Adorama for $10 that works great.

The Tak and K 17mm f4 fisheye lenses are great personality lenses too.
02-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My copy of the Taukumar 50mm 1.4 is oozing with personality... a wee dreamer lodged in Joseph's Technicolor Raincoat in a pot of gold over the rainbow. I found when i was with Canon that the lenses like the 70-200 f4 l is were amazingly sharp but profoundly lacking personality. I am no expert but for me i find lots of old glass besides the Takumars like the SMC 50 1.7 to be character merchants and render things in a most pleasing and warm manner. I have little experience with most modern Pentax primes but at times i get very funky results with the DA 35mm Macro.
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA50mm 1.4 definitely has a strong personality.
It's my Tsundere lens.

I love tsundere.