Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me nothing tops these K Series classics for personality!! All have built-in filters which are perfect for us film shooters.

Phil.

Attached Images

Last edited by gofour3; 01-17-2012 at 12:45 PM.
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My (good or bad) 'character' lenses seem to be at extremes. The extremely small, as in my ultralight minikit, and the elderly, like my other old German presets. The very fishy, or very fast, or very slow. Lenses used for off-label applications, like projector-copy-xray-process-etc lenses for taking pictures -- like the Petzval-type TDC VIVID Anastigmat 127/3.5; *THAT* is a portraiture lens with character! Well-corrected modern glass is nice, but it just ain't the same.

Definitions matter. What do we mean by optical 'character'? To me, it means a lens that delivers the unexpected. We often don't want that. To cover an extended range with a set of zooms, we want consistency, each member of the set sharing the same characteristics. But when I'm lazily noodling around with a lens, I like to be surprised. I love my little F35-70 but it never surprises me, whereas the K50/1.2 and Schneider Betavaron 50-125 constantly astonish me.

Hmmm, maybe a poll: What lenses astonish you?
01-17-2012, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Tamron 70-200 F2.8 has no personality. It takes a picture, very detailed, basic colors, and very nice bokeh - but nothing special. It's my workhorse. I use post processing to add in some punch, some effect.

My M50 1.7 has personality. It takes a picture, very detailed, basic colors, and very nice bokeh - but it looks special. It's my fun lens.

So maybe I don't know what on earth I'm talking about.
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #19

I love my Pentax M50 F4 macro. While certainly not fast...it is so versatile and the colors and bokeh always surprise me. I would say an honorable mention for me is my Vivitar 55mm 2.8 macro for some of the same reasons.

01-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My (good or bad) 'character' lenses seem to be at extremes. The extremely small, as in my ultralight minikit, and the elderly, like my other old German presets. The very fishy, or very fast, or very slow. Lenses used for off-label applications, like projector-copy-xray-process-etc lenses for taking pictures -- like the Petzval-type TDC VIVID Anastigmat 127/3.5; *THAT* is a portraiture lens with character! Well-corrected modern glass is nice, but it just ain't the same.

Definitions matter. What do we mean by optical 'character'? To me, it means a lens that delivers the unexpected. We often don't want that. To cover an extended range with a set of zooms, we want consistency, each member of the set sharing the same characteristics. But when I'm lazily noodling around with a lens, I like to be surprised. I love my little F35-70 but it never surprises me, whereas the K50/1.2 and Schneider Betavaron 50-125 constantly astonish me.

I'm with you on the K50/1.2 for constantly astonishing me and would add the K28/2.0.

Phil.
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

+1 for the K50 1.2. Wonderful bokeh, incredibly sharp stopped down, it's a 1.2 and the build quality of the K lenses is tank like.
Another lens that keeps astonishing me is the FA* 85.
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What lenses astonish you?
my DA40/2.8 astonish me because optically perfect, but my Kiron A 28/2 astonish me for all this "fault" that make it optically unique
The vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5 may have some potential though

01-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
Another lens that keeps astonishing me is the FA* 85.
+1 on that, Its a nice lens that intimidates a lot of Canikion owners.
01-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personality? That is an easy one! The Jupiter-9 85/2 takes it. Heavy, sluggish, and industrial strength, but tons of personality!

Steve
01-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Most primes have a personality if you ask me. You just need to get to know them well enough to recognize them.
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tamron AD-2 SP 35~80/2.8~3.8 -- has a unique feel both optically and mechanically. It has a long, long focus throw that includes the zooming function! The bokeh has a unique, pleasingly granular feel to it - not buttery (at least mine did) and a color palette that renders warm and treats reds nicely. I've read this was a well-regarded, professional quality lens in the 80's.

All this being said for many years I decided to take this particular lens for a walk not so much to achieve an expected result but more for the experience of using the lens (although the end-product was always worth the time).

Alas, in a fit of LBA guilt, I foolishly sold all my Adaptall lenses and adapters to KEH one Saturday when they came to town.

01-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the pentax SMC 50mm f/1.2 is a lens I would consider to have the most personality, at f/1.2 it is sharp but it produces a slight Orton effect - without the high contrast. But when you stop the 50mm f/1.2 down to say f/4 it becomes brutally sharp.
01-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #28
Banned

personality in looks and optic quirks, I would give the nod to the Auto-Takumar lenses. they have all sorts of personality. for a non-pentax lens, I would go with the Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 50mm f2.8 HM. now thats a lens with personality! other than shoot in near total darkness for lack of a super wide aperture, there isn't much you can't do with one of these, wether its still photos or movies, this thing can open up a hue world of creativity. id sure love to have one.
01-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

the Carl Zeiss Jana lenses I've tried are full of personality, but I find them a PITA to use.
01-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've owned it briefly and sold it because I couldn't see myself using it (I have other lenses covering this range) but I have to agree with you. Impressively sharp, impressively fast, small and light, a real gem.
That's ccertainly all true of the copy you sold
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's a nice collection, and a very nice picture.

I have to disagree. I really, really like the look of the F line. It has that retro/post-modern feeling, like it came out of Star Wars or something. My F50 f1,7 (and a few others I've owned) were all in great shape, no dust nor anything peeling off. They work well, focus fast (this is the first AF line ever made by Pentax, remember!) and are reliable even after more than 20 years.
If these lenses are so undesirable, why doesn't an F50/1.7 or F28/2.8 ever last more than 15 minutes in the Marketplace? Sell for less than $225 - that seems to be the clearing price for either.

I actually like the dark gray and garish orange and when paired with an SF-Series body they really stand out! Given the deteriorating condition of my eyes my new-to-me SF1n / F35~70 kit could become my go-to film camera. Weather forecast tomorrow 58 and sunny - what winter?