Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

First outing with Adaptall-2 SP 400mm f4

Went on a photo shoot with my camera club to Barnegat Light House on LBI. There wasn't a lot to photograph and sometimes I think there were more of us than birds but it was a hoot using the lens for the first time in the field. Manual focus was surprisingly easier to use than Catch Focus. At any rate, I discovered the sheer shallowness of the DOF this lens provides. You better nail the focus and have the subject on a broadside if you want more than the beak sharp. I noticed many of the other group members shooting with 500mm monsters but from what I thought at the time was ridiculous far off distances. Hey, the birds are right here. Now I know they were shooting to get a better DOF so the whole bird would be in focus. Well, it was fun and I do feel this lens will serve me well and better now that I have a better idea of how to use it. CA was a bit of a shock but LR cleaned it up in a jiff. Thankfully, Harlequin ducks do not have much in the way of green or purple.

Last edited by djc737; 05-08-2013 at 01:28 PM.
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful photos!
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Great lens for the money, isn't it. I really like mine. It is very sharp and the extra speed over the Bigma is nice. I also use mine with the AFA 1.7x with decent results. At that focal length, A tripod is really needed.

regards
01-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Looking forward to the next outing as my AFA 1.7x did not arrive till this week. Seems to work well but I need to test the focus accuracy, get my AF adjustment set before committing to another 750 shots. Can't wait. I found straight hand holding quite difficult so used my tripod and gimbal head most of the day. May try my monopod and RRS mono head next time.
As for the price, I walked out on the jetty with a fella who just bought a used Nikon 500mm AF lens. It was a really big honker. I said, "wow What that cost about 5K ?" and he just said, "I wish". Made me feel real good about my sub 1k lens.

01-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I use mine with a monopod when not using the teleconverter. It works great. Agreed that handholding is rather difficult My wife offered to buy me a Sigma 500mm at Xmas but I just could not bring myself to spend $5k on a lens. I got the new Bigma that was on sale at B&H instead. Very happy with that. The 400 is a top notch lens if I need something faster with fine IQ. And it did not break the bank....
01-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
My wife offered to buy me a Sigma 500mm at Xmas
Amazing!

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I just could not bring myself to spend $5k on a lens.
Even more so.
01-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow those are amazing birds!
Looks like a good lens btw.
01-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear that is a great lens, the others from the adaptall 2 series I have used are great and if I came upon the 400mm at a good price I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up!!