Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Sigma 16mm f2.8 vs Spiratone/Accura 12mm f8/11/16

Am I comparing apples to apples here?

I got a week ago the Spiratone and really have not had a chance to use it. I have a chance to acquire the Sigma. Which one is better? I suppose the Sigma because of the 2.8 vs 8 f stop. But how much am I giving up on the wide side? These lenses would only be used on a Pentax K-r.

A quick shot using the the Spiratone impressed me as I caught my daughter in the shot and she was almost standing next to me. Probably these lenses will be used for landscape shots and indoors - large family gatherings (huge family small rooms). I did read the reviews on each and the Sigma has a better rating.

As a logical approach - should i just try out what I already own and if it doesn't work out then look for something else in the future. I only have $100 and I do need a flash. But the thought of NOT buying a lens kills me inside.

I probably overpaid a bit on the Spiratone at $95 (no caps but included K adapter) but it is such a unique lens and really wanted to give it a try. Would having a better flash compensate for the f8 indoors?

sorry for the loaded question. Thank you all.

01-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #2

sigma without a doubt
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is your Spiratone a fixed-focus fisheye in T2 mount? If so, it was made by Sigma and marketed under many names. Mine is branded Vemar, is misaligned, and won't reach infinity focus. Is yours version1 (1-piece lens hood) or version 2 (2-piece hood: thick ring + round cap) ?? Anyway, it's an almost-legendary (or infamous) lens. Google for "12MM VEMAR" and you'll find the canonical article on it.

The Sigma 16/2.8 is undoubtedly a better lens. Have fun!
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
onesikej8 - straight and to the point - thanks.

RioRico - Unfortunately mine does not have any caps so not sure if version one or two. YES, i will have a piss of a time keeping that lens scratch free. It is Spiratone branded and screw mount and came with a bayonet adapter. Also has dial for 3 f stops f8 f11 f16. I read the article a while back and honestly - reading it, and researching the lens further, is what led me to buy it. Decisions, decisions.

thank you both.