Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 200mm f/2.8 Question

I am considering buying this lens, but I will be using it under stage lighting with lots of chrome and spot lights. The CA that is shown in various reviews has me worried. Does anyone have any field experience and/or pictures of this lens used for this type of work. I really can't stand CA and dealing with it in post is not what I am looking for. I want a high quality lens and everything else I have read about this lens is great. Just this one aspect that bothers me.

01-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never specifically used it under those conditions (i.e., stage lighting), but from my experience with the copy I have, CA has not been an issue at all (I've used it for sports, portraits, and wildlife).

You know, I have one for sale, and you can borrow it for a week if you want (just so long as you returned it or bought it).
01-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I've never specifically used it under those conditions (i.e., stage lighting), but from my experience with the copy I have, CA has not been an issue at all (I've used it for sports, portraits, and wildlife).

You know, I have one for sale, and you can borrow it for a week if you want (just so long as you returned it or bought it).
Where are you located and how much do you want for it? Send me a PM if you want.
01-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I am considering buying this lens, but I will be using it under stage lighting with lots of chrome and spot lights. The CA that is shown in various reviews has me worried. Does anyone have any field experience and/or pictures of this lens used for this type of work. I really can't stand CA and dealing with it in post is not what I am looking for. I want a high quality lens and everything else I have read about this lens is great. Just this one aspect that bothers me.

If you are using that for stage (low light and wide open), it is always tricky but workable too

These were taken almost wide open at F3.2 with low light, on stage fast action, crazy lighting (change every second) and high iso

Daniel

01-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Where are you located and how much do you want for it? Send me a PM if you want.
I sent you a PM with the marketplace listing link. I'm located in MT.
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
If you are using that for stage (low light and wide open), it is always tricky but workable too

These were taken almost wide open at F3.2 with low light, on stage fast action, crazy lighting (change every second) and high iso

Daniel

was this from nuit blanche ? I saw his concert few years back
01-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never had an issue with CA under any conditions with this lens. What reviews are you talking about?

01-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Never had an issue with CA under any conditions with this lens. What reviews are you talking about?
Pentax SMC DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report - Analysis
01-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Pentax SMC DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report - Analysis

The axial CA is pretty strong in that sample picture. I really hate it when the metal guitar string have the purple halo or the microphone in front of the singer's face is showing the purple fringe.