Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who isn't waiting for something new!

I think a budget, slower lineup of prime lenses might be something Pentax should explore. A 50 1.8, 80 f2, 100 macro f3.5 for instance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheap primes dont interest me, but I do think Pentax should make at least another one for those who like cheap lenses.

Pentax have excellent 50mm design's so they dont need too spend money on a r&d for a new 50mm, they should take the 50mm f/1.7 optics and put them in a DA-L small prime body and sell them for $180 a pop.
They would sell like pancakes!
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax should stop being cheap and make itself worthy. Stop making crap zooms. Stop making SDM whatever. Time for more affordable well made fast but not super fast plastic primes with metal mounts. Put optical performance the absolute priority. Primes with weak edge sharpness and field curvature have no place in 2012.
01-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It's not just for those who like cheap lenses, but so that more Pentax people can afford to buy more glass. Not everyone needs or wants WR, an all-metal construction, IF or SDM (especially since all Pentax digital bodies can AF with screw unlike entry-level Nikons), but all SLR owners will be happy to have more lenses to shoot with. As for 3rd-party lenses... well can't comment on that since I don't have one.

Hopefully Ricoh won't disappoint us (and future people who might invest in Pentax). Sure, backwards compatibility is one hell of a good thing but, it's not like every lens made by Pentax still exists in good, useable condition today, nor is the demand decreasing.

edit: forgot to mention optical quality. OK, maybe I'm too confident with Pentax's current optics (or at least the ones I have) to have mentioned it earlier. So maintain the quality (doesn't have to be *-level) but in a less-pricey package.

Last edited by Alizarine; 01-19-2012 at 04:49 AM.
01-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The last thing we need is more cheap lenses, we have tons of those. What we need are some more quality lenses, fast ones
01-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The last thing we need is more cheap lenses, we have tons of those. What we need are some more quality lenses, fast ones
Although I often consider myself 'desparately poor' I have to say that I agree with this...

With the exception of a fifty f1.7...
CaNikon both have a 1.8 50mm that sells for around 100/150 in the UK as well as a nicer f1.4 variant that sells for similar price as FA50-1.4...
Except for the cheap fifty I think Pentax's pricing is fairly 'in-line' with the competition... What's missing is speed... Fast thirties are availible from both Sigma and Samyang - Why can't Pentax do a DA*30-1.4 to sit alongside the DA*55?
01-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Although I often consider myself 'desparately poor' I have to say that I agree with this...

With the exception of a fifty f1.7...
CaNikon both have a 1.8 50mm that sells for around 100/150 in the UK as well as a nicer f1.4 variant that sells for similar price as FA50-1.4...
Except for the cheap fifty I think Pentax's pricing is fairly 'in-line' with the competition... What's missing is speed... Fast thirties are availible from both Sigma and Samyang - Why can't Pentax do a DA*30-1.4 to sit alongside the DA*55?
I totally agree. We need a few more high end lenses. A fast weather-sealed normal lens would be great.Then a fast, weather-sealed wide. Then lets not forget lens longer than 300mm.

Then again a few more inexpensive lenses would be OK, but just not for me.

Dave
01-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Primes with weak edge sharpness and field curvature have no place in 2012.
Well, the Sigma 30/1.4 seems to be very popular.

01-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Why can't Pentax do a DA*30-1.4 to sit alongside the DA*55?
Why would they ? To destroy sales of the 31 Ltd ? And they would also have to go up against the excellent Sigma 30/1.4.
01-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #25

Disclaimer: I might not know all the info about this topic but...

A cheaper lens should equate to more revenue since there is a need/want for cheaper lens'. Look at Canon... there are a bevy of cheap lenses that give you great IQ. Personally, I think it's foolish. Not offering inexpensive lens' makes me want to jump ship.
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't think affordable plastic lenses have to feel cheap. Just Pentax chose to.
01-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The DA lenses are very good optically. They are also very competitively priced. The DAL 35 is the start of consumer primes, but don't expect the DAL range to expand very quickly. The DA range is already quite well established and worth the financial investment - after all, you pay for a lens once, and you have its optical brilliance for a lifetime.
But the DA Limited Primes are slooooow and lack WR, with the exception of the DA* 55mm (And the DFA 100mm macro, even though it technically isnt a limited).
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79;1785289[SIZE=4:
That is what i would like to see pentax come out with. a cheaper but still good quality set of lenses for us poor guys thats all...............[/SIZE]
Several years ago I started collecting and shooting vintage lenses. And I have to say, that aside from the MF side of things, its been one of the most fulfilling things I've ever embarked in. Who knows... maybe you'll find a way to satisfy your needs also.
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
But the DA Limited Primes are slooooow and lack WR, with the exception of the DA* 55mm (And the DFA 100mm macro, even though it technically isnt a limited).
Get the FA's?
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I think Pentax should stop being cheap and make itself worthy. Stop making crap zooms. Stop making SDM whatever. Time for more affordable well made fast but not super fast plastic primes with metal mounts. Put optical performance the absolute priority. Primes with weak edge sharpness and field curvature have no place in 2012.
I'd agree w/ this...and stop doing SDM...use real ring HSM motors instead.
At CES, the Pentax rep mentioned that there's a lot of demand for the longer end in a 300/2.8. If they made one that's comparable w/ the Nikon/Canon variants for $2K, I'd get one (though it'd probably be priced more like them and be $3500)-: