Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Ed in GA

Grey Market Lens from B&H, Adorama & Etc.

I asked this on another forum but didn't get much response. So, I'll ask here where I'm pretty sure I get an answer.

Anyone ever purchase grey market lens from any of the above?

Your opinion? And, if there were service issues, how did you get them taken care of?

12-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Ed in GA

....Anyone....?
12-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've only seen one or two 'grea market' Pentax lenses. As for me, it's kinda a non-issue because whenever I buy something electronic I've come to the (somewhat pessimistic) conclusion that I'm on my own, warranty-wise. If you can live with a limited waranty (or none at all) and perhaps manuals/documentation in another langauge, by all means get the grey market. Just be aware that (IIRC) they do not qualify for any Pentax USA rebates.
12-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recently bought a grey market FA 31mm limited lens from an Australian site all taxes paid and advertiesed with a local 12 months warranty. The lens was supplied direct from HongKong. I saved over AUS$300. The new lens was in Pentax box with current lens info booklet in Chinese. I would have to be doubtful about the warranty. I know the Australian Pentax agents wouldn't touch it but considering the product I gambled on the lack of a need for warranty action.

I would repeat the transaction and will do in the future.

Let the buyer beware!

David

12-31-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
Adorama Camera Representative

Ed in GA

I'm really sorry that I didn't pick up on your query earlier - can I blame the excesses of the holiday season??!

Anyway, as you know, "Grey market", are products imported directly into the U.S., and not through the manufacturer's authorized agent / distributor.

[A bit of background for readers who may not be so familiar with this term - contrary to the not infrequent postings that mushroom all over the internet, it is perfectly legal to Directly Import these products and sell them in the USA. The term “Grey Market” was actually coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these goods - and from saving money!
The advantages to the consumer of purchasing “Grey Market” Goods, are that since there is no factory authorized middle man involved in the import of these products the costs are lower, and so the price of the item is lower to the consumer.
In addition many items which are in short supply or are not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in “Grey Market”

However, since there is no factory authorized middle man involved in the import of these products, there is no manufacturer's warranty].

BUT, all “Grey Market” Products purchased from Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera) are warrantied by Adorama Camera and can be returned to Adorama Camera for any in warranty repair.

Whilst there should be no difference in the actual products, as in most cases they are manufactured in the same place by the same people and with the same materials, occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Minolta USA Maxxum products are called Minolta Dynax products in Europe and in Asia

On “Grey Market products purchased from Adorama, we offer THE SAME WARRANTY as the USA warrantied products carry, for a period of one year.
The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service

You don't need a separate Adorama warranty certificate, your Adorama invoice is all you need to get warranty service on “Grey Market” products

After the warranty expires, just like products with an expired Manufacturers’ warranty you would take the product to any convenient repair shop and pay for the repair

Adorama also carries "Grey Market Film" fromKodak film in three versions;
USA - made in the USA for domestic distribution
USA for Export - made in the USA for worldwide distribution
Grey - imported from other countries

Fuji, Ilford, and Agfa films are all made outside the USA. In this case, Grey market means how it came to be imported. The films are the same, but again, distribution and control determine the difference of USA or Grey.

The main issue with film has always been, assurance that it was handled and stored properly during transport to protect it’s emulsion. For this reason many Professionals prefer USA film. However the Adorama experience with these films has been that very rarely have we encountered any emulsion problems with Grey market film. It is the choice of the consumer to balance price against these concerns
Adorama stands firmly behind everything we sell - and we sell TENS OF THOUSANDS OF ITEMS!

Please feel free to contact us at info@adorama.com if you have any further questions about Adorama or our dedication to being the best provider of photographic and digital goods and services that your money can buy.

Best wishes

Helen Oster
Customer Service Ambassador
12-31-2007, 03:55 AM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Ed in GA

I'm really sorry that I didn't pick up on your query earlier - can I blame the excesses of the holiday season??!

Anyway, as you know, "Grey market", are products imported directly into the U.S.,

Best wishes

Helen Oster
Thank you Helen,

Your response is most appreciated.

Ed
12-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Anyway, as you know, "Grey market", are products imported directly into the U.S., and not through the manufacturer's authorized agent / distributor.

Best wishes

Helen Oster
Does this mean that Adorama (or anyone else) is buying products directly from a manufacturer for a resale and in this case have to take care of warranties on its own ?

What about gray market products that are just forgeries of originals ? Do they exist in dslr market ? Thank you.

12-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xandy Quote
Does this mean that Adorama (or anyone else) is buying products directly from a manufacturer for a resale and in this case have to take care of warranties on its own ?

What about gray market products that are just forgeries of originals ? Do they exist in dslr market ? Thank you.
There might be products labeled as gray market that are forgeries, but from reputable dealers, gray market items will be just not officially imported through the distributor.
01-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Helen for your response. I live in NYC and I've always enjoyed doing business with 'youse guys'. It's good to know (and a bit surprising) that Adorama actually monitors this site. But your information is greatly appreciated.

NaCl(and tell Ari, Larry and the rest of the sales staff that the 'big pentax guy' says Happy New Year)H2O
01-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Thanks Helen for your response. IIt's good to know (and a bit surprising) that Adorama actually monitors this site.

NaCl(and tell Ari, Larry and the rest of the sales staff that the 'big pentax guy' says Happy New Year)H2O
Her response may cause me to take a closer look at who my future purchases are from.

And, yes, I was a bit surprised as well to get an answer direct from Adorama. I got a PM from her also.

Ed