Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Difference between a macro and "regular lens"

This is going to be a naive question: I recently picked up some older manual lens and one is a 50 mm 1:4 Macro lens. I just got around with playing with it and it seems to be pretty good for both close up and mid distance (10's of Meters or yards). I see the photos of lots of other 50's as well and most of them are not macros. In this case is this macro designed to do only close up's (dial goes down to 0.234 M) or does it sacrifice something when not used as a macro?

What is the differences between lens of same aperature size designed for macro and not?

12-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
mer

The differences between a 50mm macro and a regular 50mm are :

1) The macro is corrected for flatness of field and generally have high sharpness / can resolve high resolution .

2) Lenses , that do not employ a floating element , are only optimized for only one magnification . Most regular lenses are optimized for infity or close to infinity , most macros are optimized for 1:10~ magnification . That means tha macro lenses dont perform as good at infinity as they do in high magnifications . But because most macro lenses are generally very good they perform quite good at infinity as well .

3) Macro lenses have enough extension into them to use them up to 1:2 or 1:1 magnification , without having to add extension tubes

Last edited by mer; 12-29-2007 at 11:17 AM.
01-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I can show the difference in 2 images later when i upload them.
Although taken with a Tamron 90mm SP Macro though ... one is a 1:1 macro shot and the other is a "normal" shot.

Macro of Hibiscus stamen (handheld & winday day)

Normal shot of the actual hibiscus the macro was taken from.

Then if you really want to have a close look ... you could then get a 100% crop taken from either ... it'd be even closer again (the above image is not cropped at all ... jpeg straight from the camera.)
01-01-2008, 04:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If I understand it correctly the question is: What's the difference between a 50mm and a 50mm ~ Macro.

In my opinion (I have both) - dick-all.