Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have decided on the Tamron 10-24mm. So any quirks i should know about?

As in the things the reviewers usually do not say or a "feature" the manufacturer does not admit.

01-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

biggest undocumented 'feature' I discovered is the size of the hood. It flares out such that when it is reversed and put on the lens for storage....its doesn't fit well in my bag.

Other than that, I'm happy with it. I like the color renditions...reasonably sharp, especially if you stop down a tad....

good luck.
01-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Disclaimer: I am very happy with my 10-24. The OP asked about quirks so I'm not mentioning all the things I like about the lens.

Quirk 1: The hood. Fine when photographing but the usual reverse-for-storage takes up a lot of bag space.
Solution: For storage I remove the hood and put it sideways at the edge of a bag compartment. The hood is wide but thin so it take up very little bag space this way.

Quirk 2: I've had some AF glitches on my K-r when the 10-24 is zoomed wide. On a half press, the AF sometimes doesn't want to do anything. The camera doesn't think it's focused (no focus confirm indicator) yet the AF motor doesn't activate. It happens inconsistently and I've never had the problem with any other lens.
Solution: When zoomed wide there's so much DOF I usually use MF anyway. Zone/hyperfocal focusing at 10mm is easy.

Quirk 3: Tendency for blown-out skies with my K-r. I think it's simply because the wide angle captures so much sky.
Solution: I dial in -1 EV when I mount the 10-24 and adjust from there.
01-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Disclaimer: I am very happy with my 10-24. The OP asked about quirks so I'm not mentioning all the things I like about the lens.

Quirk 1: The hood. Fine when photographing but the usual reverse-for-storage takes up a lot of bag space.
Solution: For storage I remove the hood and put it sideways at the edge of a bag compartment. The hood is wide but thin so it take up very little bag space this way.

Quirk 2: I've had some AF glitches on my K-r when the 10-24 is zoomed wide. On a half press, the AF sometimes doesn't want to do anything. The camera doesn't think it's focused (no focus confirm indicator) yet the AF motor doesn't activate. It happens inconsistently and I've never had the problem with any other lens.
Solution: When zoomed wide there's so much DOF I usually use MF anyway. Zone/hyperfocal focusing at 10mm is easy.

Quirk 3: Tendency for blown-out skies with my K-r. I think it's simply because the wide angle captures so much sky.
Solution: I dial in -1 EV when I mount the 10-24 and adjust from there.
I agree with all the above AND that I am very happy with the lens, but the OP did ask about quirks. The 77mm filters are a bit costly.

I use the Lowepro sliplock attachment system so their 1W lens case (short and wide) works great for my Tamron 10-24 with its large hood.

01-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Most important are QC checks. Shoot a flat patterned surface. Check for corner sharpness. That's the main complaint I've seen about the 10-24, that corners are sometimes soft. If so, return it for a replacement.

I've noticed no 'quirks' (nor softness) in mine. Yes it's a large hood but the lens+hood (bagged) fit nicely in my sling Ameribag along with other lenses and stuff. Yes it takes large-diameter filters but I don't use filters on mine so what, me worry? I've had no AF problems. Any blow-out issues are just because its FOV is so huge that image dynamic range easily overwhelms the K20D's sensor unless I frame shots carefully.

I'm very very happy with my 10-24.
01-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had that same autofocus quirk DeadJohn mentions, only from about 10-13mm (on K20D). Other than that it seems to be good. Except this morning when it was gray and gloomy out my pics looked just like that.

The Pearstone Onyx 60 Lens Case (B&H) also works with the lens hood reversed. I was going for the Lowepro case Docrwm mentioned but it was out of stock when I was ready to order.