Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

How is 50-135 for indoor HS sports?

I'm currently a Sony user and use an A55 with a Tamron 70-200 to photograph my niece's basketball and volleyball games. I've been looking seriously at the K-5 for it's great high iso performance and wondered how the 50-135 would work for indoor sports. I know that it's supposedly slow on AF but didn't know how it might compare to my Tamron. I'll typically lock focus on a player and then take a short burst of shots. The 70-200 tends to put me in the top row of most of the small gyms that she plays in. I was hoping to find a focal length where I could sit a bit closer to the action. Just looking to get some feedback before making a change.

Kevin

01-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot also VB indoor, sometimes in poorly lighted halls, and sometimes basket ball. I found VB to be more demanding because the ball flies faster. I have a K-7 (which performs not as well as the K-5 at high-ISO). I like to shoot from the sidewalls or from the front rows. My prefered lenses are two primes: the VL58 f1.4 and CZ85mm f1.4. I use fast primes to be able to shoot at high shutter speed, even in low light.

While the experience may not help directly, your choice of focal length (50-135) is reasonable for front row shooting.On the other hand, the aperture f2.8 might not large enough in low light with high shutter speed.

Although a zoom lens is convenient, I woudl suggest to consider also fast primes.

Hope that the comment may help.
01-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I wouldn't swap your tamron for this lens, although if you're looking to sit closer, then yes, it'll do a better job. The AF is indeed slower (by about 10%).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not sure if the high iso performance of the K-5 is worth the tradeoff.
1) This zoom has slow AF
2) K-5 AF is yet again slower indoor
3) Can you really trust SDM?

01-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't swap your tamron for this lens, although if you're looking to sit closer, then yes, it'll do a better job. The AF is indeed slower (by about 10%).
Serious, I didn't messure it, but found mine slow as a snale. That Tamron lens will be faster.
01-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
My prefered lenses are two primes: the VL58 f1.4 and CZ85mm f1.4. I use fast primes to be able to shoot at high shutter speed, even in low light.
You shoot indoor sports with MF glass?
01-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TigerLord Quote
Yes, I prefer to shoot indoor sports with MF, especially fast sports in low light conditions. More geenrally, MF is the only way to get good shorts in low light conditions IMHO.

With VB, I typically guesstimate right the focus distance and set the focus ring accordingly. Then I gently adjust around that distance. It is easy when the court size is well-knwon (9m by 9 m in VB) and I can stand next to the sidelines.

I may add that, In very dark conditions, my K-7 camera AF is simply unable to converge and MF is the way to go. When I shoot a lot of dynamic motion, AF.C is not always good enough and again MF is the answer with a MF lens and an accurate MF focus ring.

Last edited by hcc; 01-23-2012 at 02:09 AM.
01-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Yes, I prefer to shoot indoor sports with MF, especially fast sports in low light conditions. More geenrally, MF is the only way to get good shorts in low light conditions IMHO.

With VB, I typically guesstimate right the focus distance and set the focus ring accordingly. Then I gently adjust around that distance. It is easy when the court size is well-knwon (9m by 9 m in VB) and I can stand next to the sidelines.

I may add that, In very dark conditions, my K-7 camera AF is simply unable to converge and MF is the way to go. When I shoot a lot of dynamic motion, AF.C is not always good enough and again MF is the answer with a MF lens and an accurate MF focus ring.

I shoot jr high basketball and I'm very intrigued with your approach. I would love to see some examples of your vball shots. Would you mind posting a couple of examples?
01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawki Quote
I shoot jr high basketball and I'm very intrigued with your approach. I would love to see some examples of your vball shots. Would you mind posting a couple of examples?
A few taken mostly with VL58mm f1.4 & CZ85mm f1.4. The one on top right was in a very poorly lit hall.

Hope that the shots may help to get a better idea.

Attached Images

Last edited by hcc; 01-23-2012 at 01:24 PM.
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM has very fast autofocus and would probably be the perfect lens to replace your 70-200mm with something a bit wider, but unfortunately it's been discontinued and is almost impossible to find in Pentax mount.

Have you considered augmenting the 70-200mm with something like the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 HSM for situations where you're close to the court? The HSM is supposed to be very quick in that lens, and the 24mm would let you get a lot of the court.

But if I were you, I'd probably want to go faster than f/2.8. The Sigma 85mm 1.4 would let you raise shutter speeds significantly (or lower the ISO), and could be paired with something like the Sigma 30mm 1.4 or Pentax 50mm 1.4 to give you a wider option.
01-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TigerLord Quote
Here's a sample with the Voigtlaender 58/1.4 Nokton,
from a poorly lit location.
Attached Images

Last edited by lytrytyr; 07-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.
01-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

Nice shot. The VL58mm is a great lens for fast action sport indoor IMHO!

Last edited by hcc; 01-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.
01-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The IQ of the 50-135 is outstanding. I love it everytime I use it. My SDM has failed, though, and I have it boxed up to send back for repair. One of the reasons I got around to sending it back is the IQ.

I shot some karate with it this past weekend (mainly manual focus, except for the brief times the AF worked). Like most halls, it was poorly lit, but I got some keepers. Most of the action was fairly slow/predictable, meaning easy to shoot, but here are a couple of motion shots.

The other lens I use is the DA*200, which is stellar. Of course, being a prime, it's a little limiting. I've been thinking of trying the Tamron 70-200/2.8 since it's pretty inexpensive (comparatively).
01-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the good advice. Gives me plenty to think about.
01-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
My SDM has failed, though, and I have it boxed up to send back for repair.
Im curious, since I just acquired the 50-135... how do you know when SDM has failed? (this is my first SDM lens)