Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cheap lenses.

Has anyone ever messed with these things, or something similar?

Mirror type 500mm

500mm

I imagine these images won't last long.

12-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

pheonix brand?
12-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
pheonix brand?
Yes, I believe so.
12-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the bottom lens, and even though I hardly ever even look at it it's not that bad of a lens.
It's actually great for the price, usually around the $100.00 mark new.

You really don't want the 2x teleconverter, it's JUNK.

12-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I just picked up this month with some other lens the Spiraone Mirro Lens 500 mm F8. Minitel Pluracoat, manual. I have only used it a few times including today.

Here is a picture from this lens of winter surfing. I think the lens is too soft and not great in picking up the color.

I was comparing to the Pentax FA 80-320 F 4.5, which is better but still not a great strong telephoto.
Here is a picture from this lens. The sun did come out. So a little better.

I also have picked up today some material on the sensor (just above kayaker's head) since I was changing lens in the open at the back of my car. Darn
12-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

weatherwise,
Changing the lenses close to the water will usually keep the dust down, although you'd probably want your back into the wind so you don't end up with something else in your camera.
12-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #7

I have a Ricoh 600mm Mirror I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Cost me a little less then 1/2 a tank of gas ( oh ya that could be expensive depending on the vehicle ). Forget about hand holding it. Fixed app f8. Just need a nice day to try it out

12-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Has anyone ever messed with these things, or something similar?

Mirror type 500mm

500mm

I imagine these images won't last long.
Some years ago, Keppler did an article on the 500 mm long focus lenses (they aren't telephotos, actually, just long focus). He figured for someone who just wanted one for now and again, they were fine. You cannot expect a $100 lens to do the job of a $4,000 lens, but within their limits, they are OK.

He also reviewed a couple of the mirror and catadioptric [sp?] enses, and found the same, but the mirror lenses are not as shock resistant as normal long focus or telephoto lenses. Some, inlcuding me, dislike the doughnut highlights in the background. This is caused by the mirror in a mirror construction, and is not a defect of the workmanship, just of the design. It's a trade off. The mirror lenses are easier to hand hold because they are so short.

12-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

although I have not tried either of these lenses, I have used a 1000mm mirror.

Biggest drawback with a mirror is no control over depth of field and they are somewhat lacking in contrast.

I can't comment on the glass lens you show. my longest prime is a multicoated Vivitar 400mm F5.6 which performs well (contrary to some others who have been disappointed with non multi coated versions)
12-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Some years ago, Keppler did an article on the 500 mm long focus lenses (they aren't telephotos, actually, just long focus). He figured for someone who just wanted one for now and again, they were fine. You cannot expect a $100 lens to do the job of a $4,000 lens, but within their limits, they are OK.

He also reviewed a couple of the mirror and catadioptric [sp?] enses, and found the same, but the mirror lenses are not as shock resistant as normal long focus or telephoto lenses. Some, inlcuding me, dislike the doughnut highlights in the background. This is caused by the mirror in a mirror construction, and is not a defect of the workmanship, just of the design. It's a trade off. The mirror lenses are easier to hand hold because they are so short.
For all those who missed a fine technical point above. "they aren't telephotos, actually, just long focus" telephoto lenses are lenses that are physically shorter than the effective focal length.
12-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I bought a T-mount Samyang 500mm f/8 mirror lens quite a while back after reading one of Herbert Keppler's articles on the same lens (It works better on the Pentax then it does on my Canon body). I was skeptical, but you know, he was right. It is an excellent lens for what it does.

Its slow, and you definitely need a tripod with it as its so light and portable that it magnifies any hand or wind shake, or at the very least some form of stability. I use natural items around me such as park benches, trees, etc. The ring donuts can be a useful feature. You can turn this weakness into a strength if you so wish.

If you can get a copy for dirt cheap, I suggest you go for it. Its a fun little lens to play around with. It is a hard lens to learn, but once you get the knack of using it, it will take surprisingly good photos.

Here is a photo I took with my K10D and the above Cat.
12-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For all those who missed a fine technical point above. "they aren't telephotos, actually, just long focus" telephoto lenses are lenses that are physically shorter than the effective focal length.
Thanks, Lowell. I meant to stick that in and side tracked myself.
12-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I thought I saw a 400-800 zoom a while back. I wonder how that one performs.

I'm not trying to build a cheap collection, but I just wonder what kind of neat things I could do with one or two of these. Might be fun.