Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Which to get first, Da 15 or FA 77

Hi everyone, these two have been on my want list since I first looked into Pentax last year. I had a Jupiter-9 that turned out to be irrepairable (never had a real chance to use it) but never tried anything wider than 28mm, besides pano stitching with my fa31, so now I'm in a debate on which to get first; although, I'll eventually get both, but.. Who knows how long it will be before that happens?..
So I wanted to know what you guys would get first, knowing that you do a lot of car shoots (uwa would be awesome for messing with the perspective) and portraits (love the fa 77 bokeh & rendering)
At the moment, the only lenses I have after consolidating my collection is my fa 31 and Helios 44-2. However, the 31 stays on camera 90% of the time as I prefer AF and the covenience of k-mount mainly.

Thanks for any input in advance!

01-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both lenses are great and both will let you get different types of shots. If you want to play around with different car perspectives, the 15mm would probably do a better job. On the other hand, for close-ups and full body shots, the 77mm would probably be better. If you've never used an ultra-wide lens, why not start with the 15 and then get the 77?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

15mm is great if you like being REAL close. 77mm is great if you DON'T like being so close. These are oranges and orangutans, not really comparable. Which to get? Flip a coin. Don't base your decision on how it lands. Base your decision, while the coin is in the air, on which side you'd prefer it land on.
01-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
In true LBA form, I am planning to get both!

01-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both lenses are great and both will let you get different types of shots. If you want to play around with different car perspectives, the 15mm would probably do a better job. On the other hand, for close-ups and full body shots, the 77mm would probably be better. If you've never used an ultra-wide lens, why not start with the 15 and then get the 77?
That was my original plan, but I sold my vivitar tx 135/2.5 so I have nothing in the telephoto range now.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
15mm is great if you like being REAL close. 77mm is great if you DON'T like being so close. These are oranges and orangutans, not really comparable. Which to get? Flip a coin. Don't base your decision on how it lands. Base your decision, while the coin is in the air, on which side you'd prefer it land on.
Yes, for sure they're not comparable since its uwa and short telephoto. Maybe I'll just go with the da 15 first since uwa is something I have not tried and would love to get a taste of "mind control."

QuoteOriginally posted by altovintner Quote
In true LBA form, I am planning to get both!
That's my game plan! Maybe I'll have both once the tax refund comes so I can have my ideal 3 lens setup, 15/31/77.
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well, i am pleased to see you plan to buy both. as for which one first, i'd think about what you have coming up, car shows? portraits? and go with the lens you will use most in the short run.

that said, DA15 is my most used lens by far for landscape shooting, and FA77 is my favorite lens by far for sharpness, color, bokeh and overall rendering. My 77 also becomes a great macro lens with the addition of an extension tube, and I will even attach a 1.4 TC to it when i need a 108mm tele.
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I bought my set of primes recently and have the 15, 43, and 77. I thought I would use the 15 most as I like to do landscape but have grown to love the 77 the most for portraits. It is a stellar lens and love the DOF you can get with it. I had a 50-135 last year that I thought would be good enough to get me by for what I wanted then realized the beauty of the K5 is a smaller system with great small primes for an overall package. If you think you will be shooting the 15 more for shows, then get that one since it's cheaper. save up for the 77 which although not as readily available, they do float in and out of the FS forum from time to time at a good price...
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Getting full body shots with the FA77 on an ASP-C sensor is near impossible unless you have a lot of depth to play with in a studio environment. The FA31/FA43 is much more suitable for half body or full body shots.

tl:dr FA77 is an amazing portrait lens, but not really for full body shots

01-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Very hard to answer, have a look at the lens clubs see which one you prefer. If you still haven't made up your mind since you are eventually getting both... then take a quote from Boardwalk Empire: flip a coin, you will know which side you are hoping it will land on when its in the air (paraphrased )
01-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

FA77 makes everything special, DA15 not quite there but it's a nice compact lens, love to get one since I already have FA77.
01-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in your position a while back. I decided to purchase the 77, still haven't got the 15. But I do a lot of portrait work and the 77 is phenominal.
I would have to say, which one are you likely to use more?
01-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Both are fantastic, the FA77 is my favorite, you can still shot cars with it, step back and open up that aperture and isolate the car from the rest of the image
01-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, thanks everyone for the input! I haven't had a chance to check this thread the last two days.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well, i am pleased to see you plan to buy both. as for which one first, i'd think about what you have coming up, car shows? portraits? and go with the lens you will use most in the short run.

that said, DA15 is my most used lens by far for landscape shooting, and FA77 is my favorite lens by far for sharpness, color, bokeh and overall rendering. My 77 also becomes a great macro lens with the addition of an extension tube, and I will even attach a 1.4 TC to it when i need a 108mm tele.
I'd say at this moment right now I have more portrait shoots than car shoots lined up. So far the 31 has held up to my needs for cars except for the times when I don't have the room to step back.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigkidneys Quote
I bought my set of primes recently and have the 15, 43, and 77. I thought I would use the 15 most as I like to do landscape but have grown to love the 77 the most for portraits. It is a stellar lens and love the DOF you can get with it. I had a 50-135 last year that I thought would be good enough to get me by for what I wanted then realized the beauty of the K5 is a smaller system with great small primes for an overall package. If you think you will be shooting the 15 more for shows, then get that one since it's cheaper. save up for the 77 which although not as readily available, they do float in and out of the FS forum from time to time at a good price...
That is my ideal setup, except swap in the 31 with the 43. DOF and it's rendering characteristics is the main reason I want the 77.

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
FA77 makes everything special, DA15 not quite there but it's a nice compact lens, love to get one since I already have FA77.
Ya, the 77 is truly something special, I've been following the Fa limited lens club since I first joined the forum last year, but the 15 has produced some stellar images as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I was in your position a while back. I decided to purchase the 77, still haven't got the 15. But I do a lot of portrait work and the 77 is phenominal.
I would have to say, which one are you likely to use more?
Most likely my 31, but I'm thinking the 77 would be my next most used lens if I were to have my ideal 3.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Both are fantastic, the FA77 is my favorite, you can still shot cars with it, step back and open up that aperture and isolate the car from the rest of the image
What would you say stays on your camera more often between the two?
01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pencilnink Quote
What would you say stays on your camera more often between the two?
FA77 without a doubt.
01-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pencilnink Quote
at this moment right now I have more portrait shoots than car shoots lined up
Your lens answer is within this ^^^ quote