Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #16

docwrm gave a good explanation; there is no fault of the camera nor the lens, all lenses (especially zooms) have a level of compromise and distortion inherent in their construction. You can use the in-camera adjustment to simply see similar results/adjustments applied before you get the raw (or jpeg) image from the camera...just like your P&S, or you can correct for it in post processing via lens profiles or manually.

There is nothing wrong with the camera nor lens, the same things apply for other (brand and model) DSLRs and lenses as well.

01-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I haven't had a chance to go street shooting, but will this weekend. The in-camera correction is the way for me since I compose my shots as I want them and rarely crop. I don't want to have to rethink my shooting habits. I do want to say that I have used the camera in other situations, just bopping around town on foot, and it really is a nice smooth lens.

Just knowing what I experienced is 'normal' helps. I'll report back on the in-camera correction. Thanks again. You all have been very helpful.
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
The in-camera correction is the way for me since I compose my shots as I want them and rarely crop. I don't want to have to rethink my shooting habits.
You wouldn't have to. All that's different is that PDCU will apply the correction when you open the image on the PC. Do you really need it applied for the preview on that tiny camera screen? I thought like you that in-camera correction would do no harm, until I missed a few shots because the K-x was still taking its pretty time processing the previous one. Also, exposure bracketing did not work properly without it being turned off.
01-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is a photo I took with my Lumix GF2, with no distortion correction. The lines are just the way I want them to be.

Tracks of My Fears | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Had I taken this same photo with my K5, I'd be spending some serious time in PhotoShop getting it to look the way I want, like this.

Yesterday I did engage the in-camera distortion correction and it is making a huge difference, though I must say, it takes quite a while to save files. I haven't shot anything yet with it that I want to post in my Flickr gallery.

01-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote

I'm guessing (and breaking out in a sweat) that the solution is prime lenses or lenses with less zoom range.
The first zoom lens I ever owned was a Tokina 35-105. I figured at the time (1984) that it would be a good wedding lens that I could park on the camera for an entire job. The thing had crazy amounts of barrel distortion (we didn't have "lens corrections" back then), so I sold the thing because it was useless.
I've owned a couple of zoom lenses since, but have pretty much sworn off of them, and use primes for all my shooting.
The only exception I've made is the 60-250, and as soon as Pentax fills in some of the gaps between 70mm and 300mm, that lens will be on the block.