Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
After legal fees and alimony, you're in Hasselblad territory
Marriage is grand.

Divorce is 300 grand.
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My copy of the 18-135 is wonderful, and I felt it had better IQ than the 18-55WR when I compared the two. I could just be lucky.

Since your preference is primes any WR zoom probably won't see much use anyway so best to go cheapest, and get the 18-55.

BTW I was in Cancun last year and had rain most of the trip as well. I had only my K-x with me, so no WR anyway, and I used a Tamron 18-250 for most of the trip.

My WR was to place the camera and lens in a thin clear plastic bag from the supermarket bread section, with the opening rubber banded to a temporary UV filter on the lens.

The hood went over that, and I could operate all controls and even frame the shot by looking at the VF through the clear bag.

01-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I had a similar debate with myself last month when I was upgrading to a k5. In the end, I figured for the sake of the 50 quid difference between body only or with lens I bought the lens thinking that I could always sell it if it wasn't much good. As it's turned out I'm actually very pleased with a lot of the shots I've taken with it - to the point that if I break/lose it I'll buy another. The optical and build quality is much better than the kit lens that came with my kx, as tested by trying each of them on both cameras. Of course it's not as sharp as a prime or a more expensive zoom but for what it is it's worth every penny, the f/l is useful in the average situation and once you figure out its own little quirks you can take some good shots with it. In short, for the sake of a hundred bucks or so I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Here's a couple of examples of from the day I got the k5, taken with the kit lens. No pp at all 'cos I never use it, not even for sharpening or colour. The club I took these in has a particularly awkward set up of mixed LED, tungsten and CFL lighting as well and it did pretty well even there.

Edit; I've mentioned this before but the pictures I post on this site lose a lot of sharpness for some reason. Even the compressed version of these I put on the bands' FB pages for them were much sharper. On my monitor, straight from the HD, these are both much, much sharper.
Attached Images

Last edited by wildweasel; 01-25-2012 at 09:16 AM.
01-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 18-55 kit lens is a very decent little lens, and it's dirt cheap. I use mine quite often.

Why not pick up a used one? You might PM member "mediaslinky" He had a K-x & kit lens for sale for $330. I bought the body, but as far as I know, he hasn't sold the lens yet. It's the "DA-L" version with the plastic mount, if that matters. You might be able to get it for $30 or so. It's worth a shot.