Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Thank you all for your input. I made up my mind (I think). I'll get the Samyang 85/1.4. Catch-in-focus is a game changer for me.
I have the Vivitar version of this lens (I am a vivitar brand name junkie) and I use it a ton for random street people shooting (moving subjects), it is a fantastic lens! As for CIF (catch in focus), I not only use it with this lens I also use CIF with the DA*50~135 - my spot on focus hit rate of moving subjects is probably 90% with CIF as opposed to maybe 50% with AF...

Enjoy the Samyang

01-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I have the Vivitar version of this lens (I am a vivitar brand name junkie) and I use it a ton for random street people shooting (moving subjects), it is a fantastic lens! As for CIF (catch in focus), I not only use it with this lens I also use CIF with the DA*50~135 - my spot on focus hit rate of moving subjects is probably 90% with CIF as opposed to maybe 50% with AF...

Enjoy the Samyang
Not to mention CIF is absolutely silent
I'd like to get the Vivitar version as well--for its rubberized body--but it's $320+ except at BH, where it's temporarily OOS. I think I'll wait to see if BH restocks it in a couple of weeks or so.
08-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #18

hi Causey,

Here's my take on this topic...

I've been using the DA70 for over 3 mos now, can carry it all the time hanging (neck strapped), very sharp lens, very fast af, solid little lens... that's why they call it LTD i guess...

Problem with this lens? too busy background for me... and I found a link to samyang/rokinon/vivitar/polar 85mm 1.4 (its the only lens ive ever seen that mostly all of the pics taken with it on the net are awesome) got to get 1 for me and... i am trading/selling my DA70 now in order to get a copy of this 85mm (i'll be mostly using this for portraits and low lights at 1.4).

And im willing to sell my da70 at a crappy low price just to get this bad ass lens...

I know i cant use this on street just like the da70 but ive got my M50 1.4 and am planning to get the DA35 2.4 as well.

Hope this helps
08-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
hi Causey,

Here's my take on this topic...

I've been using the DA70 for over 3 mos now, can carry it all the time hanging (neck strapped), very sharp lens, very fast af, solid little lens... that's why they call it LTD i guess...

Problem with this lens? too busy background for me... and I found a link to samyang/rokinon/vivitar/polar 85mm 1.4 (its the only lens ive ever seen that mostly all of the pics taken with it on the net are awesome) got to get 1 for me and... i am trading/selling my DA70 now in order to get a copy of this 85mm (i'll be mostly using this for portraits and low lights at 1.4).

And im willing to sell my da70 at a crappy low price just to get this bad ass lens...

I know i cant use this on street just like the da70 but ive got my M50 1.4 and am planning to get the DA35 2.4 as well.

Hope this helps

Thank you--that's what I did. I have a Rokinon 85/1.4 lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/194367-landscape-black-sea-beach.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/137335-samyang-lens-club-12.html#post2073273
Excellent, but heavy. Anyway, I got a K 55/1.8 as well, instead of the DA 70mm. With focus trap MF is pretty quick with these lenses.

08-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #20

lovely pics. like what ive said on my reply... every single pics from this lens... amazing!!!
really want 1 too grrrr. crossing my fingers.......

have you seen the links i was mentioning? try to look for it. cant wait to have 1 attached to my k5
08-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
lovely pics. like what ive said on my reply... every single pics from this lens... amazing!!!
really want 1 too grrrr. crossing my fingers.......

have you seen the links i was mentioning? try to look for it. cant wait to have 1 attached to my k5
there are many links with photos taken with this lens on the internet... I don't know to which you're referring exactly...
08-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had both of these at one time. Kept my Vivitar 85mm and traded the DA70 for the 35mm F1.4 Rokinon. They're amazing on film and damn special on APS-C...just make sure and get the right focusing screen.

08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Thank you--that's what I did. I have a Rokinon 85/1.4 lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/194367-landscape-black-sea-beach.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/137335-samyang-lens-club-12.html#post2073273
Excellent, but heavy. Anyway, I got a K 55/1.8 as well, instead of the DA 70mm. With focus trap MF is pretty quick with these lenses.
The 85/1.4 is a beast but it really can work magic in the right hands. I also own the 70 Limited and its a very nice short telephoto on my K-5. When I am being lazy, which is often, I use the 70 but when I feel up to it the 85/1.4 just produces some amazing images IMHO.
09-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #24

Yes it is a smart choice(samyang85 + DA70)! The 77Ltd can't compete with the Samyang in terms of fringing control, fast aperture, smoothness of OOF areas and shallow depth of field. The 70Ltd is AF lens... so I think it is great idea to skip the 77.
09-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K6-III Quote
Had both of these at one time. Kept my Vivitar 85mm and traded the DA70 for the 35mm F1.4 Rokinon. They're amazing on film and damn special on APS-C...just make sure and get the right focusing screen.
And which focusing screen might that be?
09-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the K5, I had to get the S-type screen from Focusing Screen to achieve accurate focus with fast glass.
For my PZ-1P, I replaced the focusing screen with one from a broken MZ-M.
Otherwise, my ME Super and Ricoh XR-P have no problems with their excellent stock split-prism focusing screens.
12-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sold DA70 for Samyang.. I am still waiting till it arrive. DA70 is small, light, great lens, absurdly sharp when just a bit stopped down however 2.4 is what made me to sell it.. At first it looks pretty much ok, but slowly I began to feel that there is not enough DOF control and the bokeh is not really good (busy, 'soulless').
12-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #28

I have no idea how you guys find the DA70mm bokeh "busy".

Here are a couple of samples from a recent xmas party shoot I did and do not find the bokeh busy at all. Maybe someone can show me a comparisson?

ImageShack Album - 2 images
12-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand it either. I find it to be at the level of some quite expensive lenses from other makers and I can't really see myself selling it. The way it handles flare too is just magical.
12-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
I have no idea how you guys find the DA70mm bokeh "busy".

Here are a couple of samples from a recent xmas party shoot I did and do not find the bokeh busy at all. Maybe someone can show me a comparisson?

ImageShack Album - 2 images
I'm sorry to tell you, but your pics illustrate what we mean by "busy/nervous bokeh"--especially the second pic (with the smiling guys having beer); just look at the left side of the second pic: bokeh is anything but creamy/smooth there.