Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.4 Rubberized focus ring version???

Hi, I just bought an SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.4 prime lens at ebay...it's very nice, the first time I've had prime lens on my K-7.
However the seller claims it to be a rare rubberized focus ring version. The ebay item picture looks good I didn't pay too much attention to it
but when I received it it looks and feels like it's missing something on the focusing ring area there it doesn't feel like rubber, it looks like the focusing grip or rubber
came off of it.
My questions are is there such a think as a rubberized focus ring version of this M 50mm f1.4? Also was I fooled and ripped off by this seller stating the description of this great
lens as false to my opinion?
Thanks let me know guys hope you can help.
btw here's the link: SMC PENTAX-M 50mm Fast f1.4 K-Mount Prime Lens - Rubberized Version - Exc+ | eBay

01-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No there wasn't AFAIK. It would seem to me that this is do-it-yourself work.

I would return this lens and get a proper one if possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing "rare" about it is that it's a one of a kind because of aftermarket hype. If you paid more than average price for it, challenge the condition.

Otherwise, enjoy the lens for what it is.

H2
01-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'd ask for a refund, you can get a true mint condition one for under $100.

You might want to consider spending the extra and go for an A model though, for metering with a DSLR, they are usually around the $150 range.

01-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
I looked at it closely and the focus ring looks like something came off of it, there were marks line patterns suggesting something used to be on it as focusing grip but it's gone unlike the usual M 1.4 you'd see.
The seller is adamant that it's rubber, the focus ring is rubber...there's nothing, you feel it and see it, it's just bare metal part of the lens.
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

I'm just surprised that there was 40 bids on this....

sonicboom, good luck on trying to get this returned. otherwise chalk this up as a lesson learned to do research first and just use it.
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

If he is so sure that it is an original Pentax design, he should be able to prove it, if Pentax produced it, it is not the only one in existence. I would think that this page would mention it: M 50/1.4

Of course, we all know he is full of it, in fact, here is my own M 50mm f1.4 with the rubber focus grip carefully removed.

Suspiciously similar, isn't it?
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the rubber grip is missing from the photos; is that how you received it? i am curious why the seller would mention the rubber "feature" when it apparently fell off.
also, rare doesn't mean better.

01-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
...Of course, we all know he is full of it, in fact, here is my own M 50mm f1.4 with the rubber focus grip carefully removed.

Suspiciously similar, isn't it?
and there you go.
01-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, thanks guys for clarifying me all this...just asking the seller who sold me the lens where's the focus grip like the one in the picture 'elliot' posted above.
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Looking at his feedback, he should definitely know that it is just missing the rubber, he buys and sells a ton of Pentax gear.

I just dug through my parts lenses looking for rubber ring that you might be able to substitute in case he doesn't give you a refund, but everything I have is too big. It definitely isn't as nice to use without that rubber on it.

Last edited by elliott; 01-24-2012 at 06:31 PM.
01-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for looking in to that elliot and appreciate you trying to find a rubber grip part. Yeah the seller was so convinced of what he sold was good but oblivious to the reality and told him to look at the picture you posted in this forum...admitted that he made a mistake in describing it, just a little arrogance in stating that he's got 2000+ feedback 100% positive
and I'm the only one with the problem. Oh well.