Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #1

Hello & ZX-60 Question!

First off, greetings everyone! I'm new to the forum and thank you in advance for your wisdom.

So I recently dug out a Pentax ZX-60 SLR I received as a gift more than a decade ago.

I've been finding a lot of conflicting and confusing information about using lenses with it.

The question: Can you use older manual lenses with this camera?

Specifically something like this: Pentax 50mm f/1.7 SMC-M?

Some say no, while others say yes but only while operating in manual mode (which would be fine for me)? Just hoping to find some more conclusive info before proceeding.

Thanks again & best to you all!

01-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, you can't, unfortunately. The ZX-60 is one of Pentax's lowest film models and they decided to electronically prevent it from working with older lenses. Pretty much every other Pentax film SLR supports M lenses, though.

Here's a chart showing you which cameras work with which lenses:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah, bummer that's a shame... But I really appreciate the fast response! Will have to get my hands on another Pentax body to take advantage of more lenses I guess... That chart will be helpful.
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Any thoughts on what would be the Pentax equivalent to a Nikon N55 body or something along those lines?

I'm looking for an SLR body with basic features, like exposure settings displayed in viewfinder, auto rewind, and maybe a flash auto focus feature, etc... Something I could use any of older Pentax manual lenses with, as well as any newer autofocus ones.

Thanks again for your guidance!

01-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there were a few film cameras like that from Pentax. You can check the film camera section on the forum but the ZX-50 sounds like what you describe as well as perhaps two others. I think in the Z camera line, the ZX-60 was the only one that would not accept lenses that do not communicate with the body. (K and M series lenses)
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangefinder Quote
I'm looking for an SLR body with basic features, like exposure settings displayed in viewfinder, auto rewind, and maybe a flash auto focus feature, etc... Something I could use any of older Pentax manual lenses with, as well as any newer autofocus ones.
Where are you located? I have in my office in Alameda a ZX-50 (built-in flash does not stay up, probably the spring gets dis-engaged somehow), a PZ-10, and an SF-10. You can have any or all of them.

I don't have batteries to test them. But they were working the last time I checked.
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the excellent insight everyone. I'm really glad I found and joined this community.

Soldbear, I'm down in Los Angeles, on the Eastside near Pasadena... I really appreciate that offer, those models look really awesome for what I'm looking for right now at this stage, going to read more about them now... I'd be interesting in talking more about it and hearing any additional thoughts.