Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens Hood Caps?

I'm getting sick of having to remove my Hoods (metal screw in type) to replace the lens cap on the lenses, for transport...
I know many will say "why bother with a cap if using a hood?" and the simple answer is "It makes me feel better"...
The hood on my FA50 would take a 58mm cap
The hood on the FA28 is wider, (the cap on my Tamron is 67mm and too small)
Do any of you bother to 'cap your hoods'?
I know I'll still have to take the hoods off to swap UV's for CPL's and ND's... But 'cappin my hoods seems like less hassle than removing them to cap the lens everytime I swap lenses...

(To the mods... Possible this should be in accessories section but I thought it was 'lens related enough'...)

01-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I definitely cap my hoods. The way I carry lenses, they wouldn't survive otherwise.
01-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens Hood Cap?

Hi Dave,
Once I mount a lens and put a hood on, I don't even think about a cap. If I stop for a bit (say, for lunch) and don't put the camera away, I might swap the hood for a cap.
In all these many years of shooting film and digital, I've never suffered damage to a lens when it had a metal hood on.
Of course I faithfully use a skylight filter also, but there again, I've never has an incident that chipped or cracked the filter, either.
During a long shooting period, you might have to clean the lens/filter front with a brush, stray dust has a way of collecting there.
Maybe I've been lucky?
Ron
01-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You looking for physical protection against hard knocks, or simply to keep dust and dirt off the front element?

If the latter, I've seen some jam pot covers that look like small shower caps; they'd probably do?

In the UK, think they're sold by Lakeland. Advantages? They're multi-size, only really limited by the elastic, and cheap

01-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I cap my hoods. I rarely take the lens hood off any of my lenses, so it seemed fitting to find caps that would fit the hoods. My wife and I love going to garage sales and estate sales. Whenever I run across lens caps, I buy them. Most times, they're $1 or less. Over the years, I've built up a big enough collection so that, whenever I buy a new lens, I can usually find a cap that will fit over its lens hood.
01-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use rubber hoods on my F50 and F28 so I could just put the original cap over hood, makes life so much easier.

Last edited by Roob-N-Boots; 01-23-2012 at 09:50 PM.
01-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #7

For the most part, I've replaced my stock Pentax caps -- both outer-pinch and center-pinch -- with aftermarket, inexpensive center-pinch caps, which I find relatively easy to remove / put back on even with the hoods in place.

On my MF lenses, I have metal screw-on hoods I leave attached pretty much all the time. For these hoods, I have appropriate sized aftermarket caps (same as above), so I don't have to remove the hoods for capping.
01-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I buy those screw on type metal lens hoods, I always buy them together w matching caps (easily found these sold together on eBay or other online sources), so I'd have a cap on its marching hood whenever needed.

01-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
You looking for physical protection against hard knocks, or simply to keep dust and dirt off the front element?

If the latter, I've seen some jam pot covers that look like small shower caps; they'd probably do?
I've used those tiny "shower caps" but I eventually settled on cut-off nylon socks. They're lint-free, stretch to fit most any lenses/hoods and provide plenty of protection from rain and dust in the field. You never have to search for the correct size.

And unlike hard caps, I simply don't seem to be able to loose 'em -- an' they drive the 'lens-purists' nuts!

H2
01-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I have a few of the straight (parallel) sided metal screw on Heliopan Hoods, these are the same size as the lens, hence the original lens caps still fit.

Also they make various depths of hoods which can allow for a better degree of shading, especially for telephoto use.

Available here in the UK from www.teamworkphoto.com in London.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.
01-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Do any of you bother to 'cap your hoods'?
Absolutely. But I use "special" hoods. See photos below.

The hood on my FA50 would take a 58mm cap
The lens attached to the K10D is FA50 F/1.7. The hood takes a 28mm cap

The hood on the FA28 is wider, (the cap on my Tamron is 67mm and too small)
The lens attached to the K10D is F28 F/2.8. The hood also takes a 28mm cap

If the lens has a "normal" hood, I use an after market center-pinch cap. I affix 2 strips of self-adhesive sand paper to the center pinch for ease of installing/removal. The 135mm F/2.8 close-focusing Vivitar in the photo below has a 62-49 step-down ring, followed by a 49mm hood (from an old Takumar 50mm F/1.8). Note the strips of sandpaper (only 1 is visible) on the center pinch of the cap.

Here's the same kind of 49mm cap for my DA15mm Ltd:

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-24-2012 at 01:04 AM.
01-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Absolutely. But I use "special" hoods. See photos below.

The lens attached to the K10D is FA50 F/1.7. The hood takes a 28mm cap

The lens attached to the K10D is F28 F/2.8. The hood also takes a 28mm cap
What is the widest lens that you've used the 28mm cap on without vignetting?
01-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
What is the widest lens that you've used the 28mm cap on without vignetting?
28mm.

I don't have any 24mm any more (since buying the DA21 Ltd,), but I bet you 30.5mm opening (same size as the DA40 Ltd.) is OK for 24mm FL.
01-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
28mm.

I don't have any 24mm any more (since buying the DA21 Ltd,), but I bet you 30.5mm opening (same size as the DA40 Ltd.) is OK for 24mm FL.
Hey thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try this for an 18-55 zoom and see what happens.
01-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Hey thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try this for an 18-55 zoom and see what happens.
No, don't bother. The step-down "hood" style doesn't work for zoom lenses, particularly zoom lenses designed for APS-C sized sensor. I tried.