Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depends on your priorities. I do a lot of landscapes in all sorts of weather. If I'd had the Tamron or the Sigma I wouldn't be taking a lot of shots as I wouldn't be able to take them out. At f8 its perfectly sharp and I have absolutely no issues with it.

An example of the conditions that don't bother it.

01-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I tried 2 copies of the 16-50 before giving up and buying the 12-24 instead. My cheapo Sigma 17-70 was far sharper than both, and it didn't have horrible back focus that both 16-50's had.
01-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Bought one. Image quality seems very good. Honestly, when its working it is one of the best lenses I own.

It has been in repair three times for sticking focus ring and SDM motor.
One day it died on the way out to a job... had to buy a new one at an overly-bloated price... it died of the same problem in about one week.
That has now been in for repair twice, and also exhibited the problem in about a week after repair.

The problem is intermittent and I have to bring both faulty lenses to every job in hopes that one will be working that day.
After sinking that much money in these lenses, I cannot afford to buy a better quality lens yet.

It is a lot of money and wasted time in repairs for very little in return.

Now, the 50-135 on the other had has been dropped twice (once from four feet) and is still working great four years after!
Just the 16-50 build quality was the same.

If I could get a WR lens with the same specs I'd jump on it in a moment.
01-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm thinking of selling all my lenses to fund a 16-50 because I would really want to have WR and the convenience of not having to switch lenses when I need to. The only thing stopping me is all this horror stories. I made a thread a while ago and I really really really do hope they update this lens to be on par with the competition.

01-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
below 30 or 40mm, the pic is really fine even 100% pixel peep, jusr remember to add some contrast and sharpness to it (I already did), the pic at f2.8 appear loss contrast
but at 50mm, u can see clear noticeable resolution drop

16mm f2.8

28mm f2.8

31mm f2.8

50mm f2.8

On the last pic, I see you focus on the jeans/shirt rather than his eyes.
01-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

DA*16-50 is my most used lens.
I carry it with me as a walk around lens.
Unless I feel like to carry something lighter, I will bring my FA35
01-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Bought one. Image quality seems very good. Honestly, when its working it is one of the best lenses I own.

It has been in repair three times for sticking focus ring and SDM motor. ...

Now, the 50-135 on the other had has been dropped twice (once from four feet) and is still working great four years after!
Just the 16-50 build quality was the same. ...
I swear, stories like this REALLY need to somehow be brought to the attention of Pentax! I've read other stories about the unusual quality disparity between these two DA* zooms.
01-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, thanks everyone for your input. It would seem to me that getting a good copy is very hit-and-miss, much more "miss" than with most other lenses, so I'm leaning more toward the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 at this point, even though I would really miss the WR.

01-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
u not consider sigma 17-50 f2.8??
since u will replace 70-210 with 50-135..
sigma 17-50 will be a better fit
01-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 16-50 can be a great lens. There are a lot of horror stories out there. Personally, I had my SDM motor burn out 5 or 6 months after I got it. Had it replaced and have been using it for the last 2 years without a problem. Optically, it is quite good. Using wide open aperture below 18mm gives really weak corners (I mostly use it there for landscapes and so would stop down to f4 or f5.6 anyway). I don't really have any issues wide open at the longer end.

I don't know about a 24-70 lens -- it just doesn't seem like it is nearly wide enough for a normal zoom on an APS-C camera.

Weather sealing is nice and I have used this lens with K10/20/7/5 in pretty bad weather without problem.
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I've had my DA* 16~50/2.8 for three years now with no issues (thankfully). It is the best zoom I have ever used.

That said, SDM complaints with this lens are are common enough that potential buyers need to consider them.

Is it worth the price? There is more distortion at 16mm than I would like to see and optically it is a little soft at f2.8. Things sharpen up considerably after that and the colours are wonderful. If you shoot outside in wet or dusty conditions it may well be worth the extra cost. If you don't shoot in these conditions perhaps you might want to look elsewhere.

Tom G
01-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #27

I have used A16, S17-50, and DA*16-50.
Now, DA*16-50 is my cap of my k-5.
I think the review of Pentax forums lacks thinking very excellent color rendering of DA*.
That's why we choose Pentax.Don't you?

Last edited by JerryLime; 01-26-2012 at 11:57 PM.
01-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
That said, SDM complaints with this lens are are common enough that potential buyers need to consider them.
Yes, it does need to be considered. In the end I gave in and bought it, and also a 7 year extended warranty (rather cheap mind you). If it's just SDM that concerns you, you can go this route. IQ wise, I can't compare it to anything other than the kit lens. But I can't complain. If it's not on my camera, it's only because my 70-200 is.
01-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm in a similar position, I want the DA* 16-50 f2.8 and I need WR (I live in Finland, the weather can be really bad at times). After much research, I've decided I will go for the DA 18-135 WR as a replacement for the K-5 kit lens and hope that Pentax comes out with an improved DA* 16-50 f2.8 II without the quality issues of the first-gen. I realize this could be a long wait.

In the mean time, I will keep my eyes open for a good copy of DA* 16-50, but the used Pentax market here is pathetic. CaNikon saturated this small market a long time ago and it's rare to find Pentax gear. It's no fun for a long-time Pentax shooter, I have to rely on ebay or trips to the US or Japan.
01-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I'm in a similar position, I want the DA* 16-50 f2.8 and I need WR (I live in Finland, the weather can be really bad at times). After much research, I've decided I will go for the DA 18-135 WR as a replacement for the K-5 kit lens and hope that Pentax comes out with an improved DA* 16-50 f2.8 II without the quality issues of the first-gen. I realize this could be a long wait.

In the mean time, I will keep my eyes open for a good copy of DA* 16-50, but the used Pentax market here is pathetic. CaNikon saturated this small market a long time ago and it's rare to find Pentax gear. It's no fun for a long-time Pentax shooter, I have to rely on ebay or trips to the US or Japan.
I have both the 18-135 and the 16-50, and, while the 18-135 provides great coverage for some situations, its IQ is generally not up to that of the 16-50, as you'd expect from the price difference. It's a matter of horses for courses, though.

I bought my 16-50 secondhand and for a long time it gave no problems, until after about 12 months the SDM stopped working. By that time I'd read all the horror stories, and resigned myself to using it on the *istD only, that is until the "cure" was discovered. I'd never taken a lens apart before that, but the IQ of the 16-50 drew me into it, and it worked again after what was a straightforward dismantling and mechanical "un-sticking" of the drive motor. It still occasionally locks up from time to time, but several minutes working the focus ring and the AF button always brings it back to life. After my experience, I find the motor "burnout" scenario somewhat doubtful, but I'd be prepared to change my mind if someone provided clear evidence of it, rather than a service technician's description.

Here on the other side of the world, we have a similar sales scenario to yours in Finland, with the Canon/Nikon market dominance, but frankly the local shops can't come anywhere near Internet sales prices (even from within the country) so I no longer bother looking, even for non-Pentax gear.