Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seems a perfectly OK lens to me. It is not as sharp as my limiteds but then I never expected it to be. All round, though, it renders a very nice image, imho. There is more to all this than outright sharpness. Yes, my copy is pretty soft at f2.8 but then if I want DOF that narrow or the light is that poor, I would use a prime instead. FWIW where I live, in the UK, the alternatives aren't up to much. There is the Tamron, well thought of I know, but I simply do not want a zoom lens with a screw drive. We really do have to move beyond all that now. The Sigma 17-50 is a goodie and solidly made, but at my Pentax dealership its price is only 40 bucks less than the Pentax. If the difference was double that or more, I would have chosen the Sigma and liked it I'm sure - but for a saving of just 7% over the Pentax price, it wasn't worth giving up the build quality, one-touch focusing, direction of the focus ring and the excellent overall rendering of the Pentax (and eventually copping the Sigma's lower value as a second-hand sale). If the SDM fails I might think again, but until then I am content. It's not at all a 10 out of 10 but nor is the Sigma so far as I can tell and unless you want to spend massive money (perhaps) with Canonikon's top lines, it's not realistic to expect any zoom to be.