Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I'm interested in this, too, as 24mm would fill a hole in my prime collection. Is there an expected price for this lens?
Samyang has not said directly what the price would be but has given hints around the first announcement (August 2011) that the price will be around the same as the 35mm/1.4, somewhere around $499.

01-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*** UPDATE ***

Ok, first to answer Adams question of "misleading yada dada da"...

There are two (2) Samyangs:

Samyang 1: The Manufacturer (Korea)
Samyang 2: The Distributor (Europe Based I Believe)

As we all know, Samyang the manufacturer manufacturers the following branded lenses:

Samyang, Vivitar, Bower, Rokinon, And Other Varients

Outside of North America, the label that is available at the retail stores is Samyang labeled, all distributed by the Samyang Distributor which is europe based - in North America, we have Vivitar, Rokinon, Bower, Opteka, etc..

----------------------------------

Ok, now to the Update:

Samyang (The Distributor) sent me this:

My Brief Email To Them
QuoteQuote:
Hi,
When will the 24mm 1.4 (Pentax KA Mount) be available for purchase in the
U.S.? There seems to be a lot of positive buzz and excitement about this
lens - can you provide an approximate date of when this will be available?

Thanks,
~ Joe Penn
The Reply Back
QuoteQuote:
Hello Joe,

our company is a distributor in Europe, and we will have new 24mm in about 2 weeks. I'm not sure how it will look in US.

--
Best Regards
Karol Pietka
Sales and marketing manager
This means that they will have it in 2 weeks, the retail outlets should have it no later than a week after that which means we should start seeing images made with this lens in about 2.5~3.5 weeks and possibly some reviews. Going by memory with the 35mm, the Rokinon labeled one was available for purchase here in the states about a month after the Samyang version was released outside of North America, so this means we SHOULD see this thing mid March...

Can't Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
Samyang has not said directly what the price would be but has given hints around the first announcement (August 2011) that the price will be around the same as the 35mm/1.4, somewhere around $499.
Isn't that the initial price point for the 85/1.4 when it came out? If so, then that would indicate that as the design matures and sells units and they recoup their development cost we can expect more flexible pricing. The 85/1.4 can be had, in one or more of its various incarnations, new for around $269 commonly.
01-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
Thank you! That sounds like more than I want to pay, although I realize this is a pretty fast lens. I hope Docrwm is right and the price comes down fairly quickly! In any case, it's definitely one to keep an eye on!

01-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you! That sounds like more than I want to pay, although I realize this is a pretty fast lens. I hope Docrwm is right and the price comes down fairly quickly! In any case, it's definitely one to keep an eye on!
Me too! I'm enjoying wider and wider lenses and while my 10-24 Tamron is terrific it would be nice to try a really FAST wide angle.
01-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
$500 and under I am there, if it starts out over that I will have to wait a bit...
01-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Official sample photos taken with the lens have been posted -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/172861-samyang-24mm-1-4-offi...le-photos.html

01-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ah, that's quite misleading. I knew that they get rebranded but when I searched BH for "samyang", I got a "we do not carry this brand" message. It should redirect or something instead.
Samyang connoisseurs know what to look for On B&H, choose among Bower, Rokinon, or Vivitar. On Adorama, replace Bower with Pro-Optic. Easy!
01-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also find the official Samyang branded versions new on the bay.
01-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #25
Site Supporter

If only it were AF....

Sure, I can use MF, and I even have some older MF stuff, but AF is so much nicer for what I do. Stick AF on it, bump the price a little, and I'd think they would sell like hotcakes.
01-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Isn't that the initial price point for the 85/1.4 when it came out?
No. The $269 cost was that of the Rokinon version which has been priced like that since it came up. The other brands were a bit more expensive and I don't think they lowered the price either.

But the 85 and the 8 were the first Samyang lenses. Samyang is now using more complex lens designs and glass elements for their wide angles, so that is why they are priced higher. Their coatings are improved too compared to the early models - they have a new generation of coatings now.
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WTF!!! - Very Disappointed...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/172943-samyang...ly-europe.html
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
No. The $269 cost was that of the Rokinon version which has been priced like that since it came up. The other brands were a bit more expensive and I don't think they lowered the price either.

But the 85 and the 8 were the first Samyang lenses. Samyang is now using more complex lens designs and glass elements for their wide angles, so that is why they are priced higher. Their coatings are improved too compared to the early models - they have a new generation of coatings now.
I'm seeing the other rebranded versions at that price point nowadays too but if it hasn't come down much so be it. As for improved designs and materials - yeah - because their 85 gets consistently solid reviews. Although $700 for the 24 seems a wee bit stiff IMHO.
01-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
WTF!!! - Very Disappointed...
European price could be very different from US one. I wouldn't worry until they actually release the lens on the market here.

For me, it doesn't matter if it would be $360 - I decided to stop investing in K mount for now. I'll buy bodies if my current ones fail, but no more K-mount lenses. I will wait to see how systems develop over the next few years.
01-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Keep in mind that this lens was slated to release last September...that presumably means R&D costs were significantly larger than first planned. Even if this lens hit the US at $700, I'd imagine it'd drop to around $550 within a year. Also, let's see the reviews, I wouldn't be suprised if this lens blew our socks off - earning the high price tag.