Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hood suggestion for FF lens makers

It would be really usefull if makers of single focal length lenses that cover FF and crop sensor cameras would at least off a lens hood dedicated to the narrower angle of view when used on aps-c. For instance, I lost the hood for my Sigma 28mm 1.8. Since I use it almost exclusively on the digital, I would love find a bayonet lock tulip hood that is longer for extra shading.

01-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its not just primes, but zooms too. it would be nice to have optional hoods for either, and I think now, some may.,
01-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
It would be really usefull if makers of single focal length lenses that cover FF and crop sensor cameras would at least off a lens hood dedicated to the narrower angle of view when used on aps-c. For instance, I lost the hood for my Sigma 28mm 1.8. Since I use it almost exclusively on the digital, I would love find a bayonet lock tulip hood that is longer for extra shading.
I'm fairly sure Sigma has a two piece lens for their 85/1.4 that allows you to adjust the size of the hood for use on FF and crop sensors.
01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's why I prefer the 3-stage rubber hoods for my lenses.

01-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I replaced the original hood on the FA*85 with this ugly rubber hood - to my full satisfaction.

But for wide angle lens I prefer "flower type" hoods.

To OP - if it helps, the hood is identical with 24mm f1,8 Sigma and with the pre-DG version of 28-70/2,8 Sigma. I'm also looking for a replacement, please be sure to let me know if you find out about other lenses that share the same or similar hood. Thanks.
01-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

just as an aside, I have a few comments regarding hoods and the rubber collapsable ones.

the purpose of a petal hood is to get maximum coverage, so that you can shoot slose to the sun. collapsable hoods generally have at best, a 90 degree plus FOV and are almost useless

Most full frame hoods don't cover even the full / maximum angles for the lens.

a case in point is look at pentax hoods from the K series, the 135/2.5 has the same hood as a 200/4 now clearly on a 135 it is not enough.

Then put these hoods on a cropped sensor, and there is real risk of flare etc.

So. look at a spreadsheet I posted (not my creation) called hoodcalc. This sheet lets you , with sopme understanding of the lens, design a circlar hood that covers to the limit of the diagonal field of view of your lens on a cropped sensor. With a little more understanding, you can use this to generate petal hoods , or petal "wraps" to add to your existing hoods to give absolute maximum protection at all angles of the sensor.

My recomendation, if you are really serious about this is make your own extensions, and take them to the limit before vignetting.
01-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I replaced the original hood on the FA*85 with this ugly rubber hood - to my full satisfaction.

But for wide angle lens I prefer "flower type" hoods.

To OP - if it helps, the hood is identical with 24mm f1,8 Sigma and with the pre-DG version of 28-70/2,8 Sigma. I'm also looking for a replacement, please be sure to let me know if you find out about other lenses that share the same or similar hood. Thanks.

In those cases where a tulip hood is desired I have had no luck with finding non-OEM bayonet hoods but have found them that screw on instead. My 28-90 Macro is one that needed the twin lengths only a tulip could provide but only the screw on type were available. I've found them for very little through various eBay sellers in the past.
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I was thinking about sawing the proper shape out of 70-200 hood. I found spare hoods available in a shop nearby, so I will probably give it a shot before going the screw on type. I'm only jealous about Canon 24-70L which has also reverse zoom mechanism and the hood is attached to the non-moving body of the lens, thus providing very good shading on both wide and tele settings.