Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 has stopped autofocusing

Hi all,

I have a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 II APO DG MACRO HSM that recently stopped autofocusing. Tried it on a different body as well, and got the same problem. I bought it from a forum member here in 2010. He is from Canada, and I am in the U.S. The box has a sticker on it saying that the lens has a 10 year Canada warranty. Given that it was bought in Canada and sold to me in the U.S., is this warranty applicable to me at all? I have contacted the seller here to see if he has the receipt or any other info for me.

If there is no warranty, do I just contact Sigma here in the U.S. to get an estimate for repair? Has anyone had any experience with Sigma repair in the U.S.? I'm trying to figure out a ballpark for how much it will cost and how long it will take. Thanks for any help or information anyone could provide!

01-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry that this happened to your lens. I recall reading a recent positive experience with Sigma warranty by dadipentak (one of our forum members). Maybe he can post details?

Edit: found the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/166251-sigma-service-rocks.html
01-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the version that doesn't do HSM on Pentax camera, right? Have you tried cleaning the contacts? Chances are that it's easily fixable, so I would try to get the warranty to cover it. You'd need someone in Canada to help you with the shipping, though, as I believe the warranty service will only ship it inside Canada.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Sorry that this happened to your lens. I recall reading a recent positive experience with Sigma warranty by dadipentak (one of our forum members). Maybe he can post details?

Edit: found the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/166251-sigma-service-rocks.html
That's an encouraging story, thanks!

01-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's the version that doesn't do HSM on Pentax camera, right? Have you tried cleaning the contacts? Chances are that it's easily fixable, so I would try to get the warranty to cover it. You'd need someone in Canada to help you with the shipping, though, as I believe the warranty service will only ship it inside Canada.
It does do HSM on Pentax. It has been working fine for over a year since I bought it, just stopped focusing at all recently. I did try and clean off the contacts, didn't work though, thanks for the tip.
01-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the person I bought the lens from does not have the receipt. I'm thinking, if the lens was introduced in 2007, and has a 10 year warranty, then would a receipt be needed to prove it's still in the warranty period? I guess it's Sigma in Canada that I should contact? Is there something on the lens that would indicate that it should be covered under a Canadian warranty? As I said earlier though, I don't know if being in the U.S. voids that. Doing a quick Google check seemed to indicate that the Sigma warranty for this lens would be 4 years in the U.S.?

Any suggestions?
01-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #7

I don't mean to sound condescending, but have you checked your camera isn't in MF mode?

I know when I had my Sigma 50-500mm, the MF/AF push/pull switch used to sometimes lock up. I would then have massive issues with AF.

Try putting the lens into MF/AF a couple of times and see if that fixes it. While in MF, rotate the focus from lock to lock and then but the lens back into AF mode. You should hear the AF motor click in when rotating the focus ring (when going from MF to AF).

Hope I made sense

01-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
I don't mean to sound condescending, but have you checked your camera isn't in MF mode?

I know when I had my Sigma 50-500mm, the MF/AF push/pull switch used to sometimes lock up. I would then have massive issues with AF.

Try putting the lens into MF/AF a couple of times and see if that fixes it. While in MF, rotate the focus from lock to lock and then but the lens back into AF mode. You should hear the AF motor click in when rotating the focus ring (when going from MF to AF).

Hope I made sense
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I've checked everything I can think of to make sure it wasn't a wrong setting somewhere. Moved that switch back and forth many times. Can't say that I rotated the focus ring all the way around. I'll try that, but I think it's hosed. It's my only lens with SDM/HSM, loved that quiet focusing, just a little TOO quiet now!
01-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote

As I indicated in that post, I've been pleased by the Sigma warranty service--especially in that particular case. They also did a great job calibrating my 50-150/2.8 for the K-5.. However, I had the same problem as the OP with my 70-200/2.8 II APO DG MACRO HSM and I have to say the outcome was not quite as good. The first time I sent it in, it came back working fine and sharper than ever. But then (about a year later and after my enthusiastic post about the 1-300/4), it developed some quirks (focuses fine most of the time but occasionally gets very slow and sometimes won't focus on the subject at all until I focus on something else first and then come back to the subject) and their attempts to fix that have not been completely successful. I put the issue aside a couple of months ago but really need to pursue it further.