Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I agree. Now, if you happen to run across an FA 135 f/2.8 for $250 BIN or so, snatch it up, shoot me a PM and I'll help you keep that karma going!
I've got a 135/2.8 arriving later this week, but it's got a Sony/Minolta AF mount, so I imagine that's not quite what you're looking for

01-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
They best way to handle it is have the Seller put a Make Offer button on there. Then you click Make Offer, punch in the agreed upon price and then when he accepts the deal is done.
I misread the OP, my eye caught on the "and they accepted my offer" and my brain just assumed the OP had used the offer button. My comment above only applies if that button is used. Sorry for the confusion.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Ok, instead of buying you a beer, how about I just let you have the lens instead as it seems I'm the one who got your sweet deal
Wow, small world. Good on you, Dan, that's a really nice thing to do.
01-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I wonder what the odds of that happening, both on Ebay and both here.
It's probably more common than we realize. Many Pentax LBA cases like us watch both this forum and ebay. When you're bidding on a K-mount lens on ebay, its probably somewhat likely one or more other bidders visit this forum.

Not ebay related, but back when I was buying/selling a lot of lenses, I'd often use craigslist, and some of the very good deals were often chased after by me and a couple other guys locally here who are members of this forum. Once, when I was standing in a guy's kitchen testing a Tamron 28-75, he got a call from one of these other forum fellows, who was probably mildly ticked that I got there so fast. (you snooze you lose ).

I lost a couple of those deals as well, like a mint F 300 f/4.5 for something like $350.
01-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

It's probably more common than we realize. Many Pentax LBA cases like us watch both this forum and ebay. When you're bidding on a K-mount lens on ebay, its probably somewhat likely one or more other bidders visit this forum.

Not ebay related, but back when I was buying/selling a lot of lenses, I'd often use craigslist, and some of the very good deals were often chased after by me and a couple other guys locally here who are members of this forum. Once, when I was standing in a guy's kitchen testing a Tamron 28-75, he got a call from one of these other forum fellows, who was probably mildly ticked that I got there so fast. (you snooze you lose ).

I lost a couple of those deals as well, like a mint F 300 f/4.5 for something like $350.
Yeah, I have a feeling it's a lot more common than many people think. I know I've certainly won a few (and lost a few ) to fellow forum members over the past few years. In this specific case, I felt like the deal wouldn't have happened at all if the OP hadn't contacted the seller and agree on a price for the lens. So once I found out the specifics, and saw that I was the one who snagged it in between him contacting the seller and him having a chance to go back on an buy it, I felt that despite my general belief in "you snooze you lose", this case was an exception.

01-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
There's also the option of doing a private listing that can only be seen by a person of the auctioner's choice. However, it looks like all is good in the end =o]
01-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have a similar story. I saw a Pentax AF540FGZ Flash on craigslist for $150. I immediately e-mailed him, asking if I could set up a time to see it. He told me any evening would work, so I suggest one two days later. In response, he told me to give him a call on that day to figure a meeting location and exact time.

Two days later, on Thursday, I gave him a call (as we had discussed). Based on our previous conversation I had figured I would be able to go down there that night. He answered the phone and began apologizing, saying that he had already agreed to meet another person on Saturday, and did not want to cancel the meeting (even though I had been the first to contact him and was willing to look at it that night, sigh). Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed. Oh well, saved $150.

So, I feel your pain.
01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I figured a little good karma never hurt anyone
Dan! So I came back to read this, just to see how many others could relate to my near miss. What are the odds! If you really weren't going to keep the lens, I'll be happy to take you up on your offer. Very cool and greatly appreciated. Your karma account will certainly get a nice deposit.
01-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richshoots Quote
Dan! So I came back to read this, just to see how many others could relate to my near miss. What are the odds! If you really weren't going to keep the lens, I'll be happy to take you up on your offer. Very cool and greatly appreciated. Your karma account will certainly get a nice deposit.
No problem, happy to help out

I bought the lens for two reasons. 1) it looked like a great deal (which is typically my only criteria) and 2) my co-worker was joking that I hadn't bought a lens in almost 48 hours so I decided to remedy that

01-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Classy, Dan!
I'll say! Not many people are that nice.
01-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No problem, happy to help out
You are a good man Dan!
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'll say! Not many people are that nice.
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
You are a good man Dan!
Well, thanks again guys
01-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
I have a similar story. I saw a Pentax AF540FGZ Flash on craigslist for $150. I immediately e-mailed him, asking if I could set up a time to see it. He told me any evening would work, so I suggest one two days later. In response, he told me to give him a call on that day to figure a meeting location and exact time.

Two days later, on Thursday, I gave him a call (as we had discussed). Based on our previous conversation I had figured I would be able to go down there that night. He answered the phone and began apologizing, saying that he had already agreed to meet another person on Saturday, and did not want to cancel the meeting (even though I had been the first to contact him and was willing to look at it that night, sigh). Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed. Oh well, saved $150.

So, I feel your pain.
Same thing happened to me about 8 months ago, I had a chance to buy an F28,F50 1.7 and F70-210 brand new in a boxes, all for $300. I wonder if someone here on the forum got a hold of that sweet deal.