Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lost deal on F 50mm 1.7 GRRRRR!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I've been trying to hunt down a good deal on an F 50MM 1.7 lens. I actually had this lens years ago on an SF1 and gave the camera and lens away. I'll never do that again, it would likely be spending lots of time on my K20D now. Anyway, today I spotted a new listing with no bids on eBay, so I asked if they'd be interested in a "buy now" offer of $150 (it was a no reserve listing at o.oo). Twenty minutes later I notice a reply in my inbox, they accepted my offer!!! BUT, then it says "we've updated the listed with the "buy it now price"!!! Of course, I pull it up and it had sold within one minute of the change!!!!! (I really thought I'd get a heads-up first!). Anyway, if you're the person that got that sweet deal, congrats to you, how about buying me a beer!

01-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The seller handled that badly. When making on offer on Ebay, it comes with the same commitment as a bid on an auction, should it be accepted by the seller. So if he accepted your offer and then sold it out from under you, you got screwed.
01-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The seller handled that badly. When making on offer on Ebay, it comes with the same commitment as a bid on an auction, should it be accepted by the seller. So if he accepted your offer and then sold it out from under you, you got screwed.
They should have given you an agreed-upon time to list the buy it now price, but in the end if you're just messaging with a seller/buyer there is no commitment, only an agreement really (which they honored too quickly apparently!).
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

SMC PENTAX -F 50mm f:1.7 AUTOFOCUS IN NICE CONDITION | eBay

01-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KEH is listing two right now, one is an A version EX+ grade at $105.00. I have this one, great lens. They also have a M version listed as EX grade for $69.00.

Oops, sorry, you are looking for the autofocus version.
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
They should have given you an agreed-upon time to list the buy it now price, but in the end if you're just messaging with a seller/buyer there is no commitment, only an agreement really (which they honored too quickly apparently!).
Unfortunately, that's the tricky part about asking a seller to add a buy-it-now price. Once they do it, anyone can buy it

Typically when I've done this in the past (both as a buyer and a seller on eBay), we agree on an exact time to add the BIN price so that the buyer is ready as soon as the seller changes the listing. It can be a slight pain to try and coordinate that, but otherwise you run the risk of what the OP described.

QuoteOriginally posted by richshoots Quote
(I really thought I'd get a heads-up first!). Anyway, if you're the person that got that sweet deal, congrats to you, how about buying me a beer!
Ok, instead of buying you a beer, how about I just let you have the lens instead as it seems I'm the one who got your sweet deal

Given the circumstances, and the fact that I wasn't going to keep it anyway, I'd rather you get the deal that should have been yours. I'll send you a PM when it gets here, which I imagine will be either Thursday or Friday.
01-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

They best way to handle it is have the Seller put a Make Offer button on there. Then you click Make Offer, punch in the agreed upon price and then when he accepts the deal is done. I have done that a few times.

01-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
They best way to handle it is have the Seller put a Make Offer button on there. Then you click Make Offer, punch in the agreed upon price and then when he accepts the deal is done. I have done that a few times.
That's actually the best way to do it. The couple times I described above actually preceded eBay having a "best offer" option.
01-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Given the circumstances, and the fact that I wasn't going to keep it anyway, I'd rather you get the deal that should have been yours. I'll send you a PM when it gets here, which I imagine will be either Thursday or Friday.
Ok, the odds on that particular coincidence (both of you watching this forum at the same time) are rather long. And you sir (assuming you are a sir and not a mam) are a gentleman (or whatever).
01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ok, the odds on that particular coincidence (both of you watching this forum at the same time) are rather long. And you sir (assuming you are a sir and not a mam) are a gentleman (or whatever).
Thanks

Well, once the OP created this thread, the odds became a lot more likely as I spend way too much time on here

But yeah, I agree, I'm sure when the OP created this thread he figured the likelihood of finding the buyer of the lens he was after was pretty slim.
01-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm the one who got your sweet deal
I wonder what the odds of that happening, both on Ebay and both here.
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, that's the tricky part about asking a seller to add a buy-it-now price. Once they do it, anyone can buy it

Typically when I've done this in the past (both as a buyer and a seller on eBay), we agree on an exact time to add the BIN price so that the buyer is ready as soon as the seller changes the listing. It can be a slight pain to try and coordinate that, but otherwise you run the risk of what the OP described.

Ok, instead of buying you a beer, how about I just let you have the lens instead as it seems I'm the one who got your sweet deal

Classy, Dan!
01-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Classy, Dan!
Sweet! A real gentleman!
01-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Classy, Dan!
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Sweet! A real gentleman!
Thanks guys. I figured a little good karma never hurt anyone
01-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I figure a little good karma never hurt anyone
I agree. Now, if you happen to run across an FA 135 f/2.8 for $250 BIN or so, snatch it up, shoot me a PM and I'll help you keep that karma going!