Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sigma 500mm Mirror Telephoto lens.

Just grabbed one of these off of Craigslist for dirt cheap. From the few pics i snapped, it seems well worth it. It has a little bit of fungus on the front lens, but nothing that shows up in the final image. Are these relatively simply to disassemble and clean?

Here's a few shots i took from out of my apt window earlier this afternoon.

This sign is a tad over a block away. Taken out of my living room window.

This stop sign is one block away. Notice the donut bokeh.

Teacher's rally in the same locale as the above stop sign.

01-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. Glad you like your bargain
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

I've just ordered one, too, from a second-hand dealer. I doubt it'll arrive much before the weekend. I also got some second-hand teleconverters to play with. I'm going to see which is the best way to get beyond 300mm.

Is the weird ghosting on the first image, due to internal reflections in the window glass?
01-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
No, its due to hand shake. There were all quick freehand shots. Its amazing just how unsteady you realize you are when looking through a lens like this.

01-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ComputerControlled Quote
Are these relatively simply to disassemble and clean?
I have the Sigma 600mm mirror and it is very easy to take apart. If the the 5000 has similar construction then just remove the rubber focusing band by sliding it out and underneath the two parts are held with a metallic tape. Peel off the tape and then you unscrew the lens into two parts exposing the mirrors.

Good luck.
01-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice! Looks like the Sigma is a good one. Definitely worth cleaning the fungus off.
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ComputerControlled Quote
No, its due to hand shake. There were all quick freehand shots. Its amazing just how unsteady you realize you are when looking through a lens like this.
I see what you mean. Mine has arrived and I like the magnification, but I'm finding it hard to hold steady, and also hard to focus. I have a tripod but it's not very good. The attached was also taken from a bedroom window, hand-held but with both my elbows resting on a ledge. I am disappointed with the lack of sharpness; I don't know if that is the lens, or my lack of skill. The light wasn't especially good. The glow under the bird's chest is from the sun virtually setting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo