Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #16

Original Poster
Trying to insert pics. Not good pics, just pics.

Attached Images

01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh dang. I thought you had changed mount on the Five Star already and were showing us blurry pictures of Bigfoot.
01-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

Original Poster
Oh, Matt... No!
As a Newbie, I just can't keep up.
Here in Central Wisconsin, we don't have Big Foots (Big Feet?)
Though a little north of here we have Rhinelander Hodags. A didstant cousin.

I'm a little embarrased to confess, but the best I can muster is a family of Little Foots.
They live behind the wood pile on the back forty.
Dad is about three feet high, Mom a little shorter, but the baby twins are a hoot!
You should see them play with the wild rabbits.
Maybe I can get a picture, once I get the long lens working.

But in the mean time, I'm like a kid in a candy store.
I've learned that my Sears lens was hard to remove because of the "Ricoh Pin."
There is a green button on my camera, and I'll learn more about that later.
Some cheap lenses offer a good learning experience.
And the Little Foot family is only toying with me, until I fine tune my set-up.

Thanks All,
Kurt
01-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

To the best of my knowledge, this lens was only manufactured in t mount. While I can note guarantee it I was certain enough that I bought my lens not even knowing what mount it had and as suspected it was t mount (with a canon adapter on it actually). You can get t-mounts starting at about 5$ on ebay or probably 10-20$ from stores.
T-Mount Adapter Pentax 25-166-2227 Brand New - free US Shipping | eBay
That one is claimed to be qualide brand which I am pretty certain is what I got and it works fine. I think it is wolf cameras brand (they carried them anyway). It could be old surplus from their bankruptcy.

As far as using a longer tube, it would probably make the lens focus in more of a macro range (shorten the closest range the lens can focus). From what I can recall, that lens will not focus close at all, like maybe 20 feet at the closest (haven't use mine in a while). Rather than try and fabricate a tube that fits, why not just use macro extension tubes? It should have the same effect and it would be a lot easier. Cheap Chinese extension tubes start at about 7$ or less and would work with this or your other lenses (all manual).
Macro Extension Tube For Pentax PK K200D KM K20D K10D | eBay
Of course there are better built ones available too if you wish to pay the money but the cheapo ones seem to work fine.

01-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks Ripit. Such a deal I bought two.

Side bar... My lens does not have the TOU marking, and is marked "Made in Japan" (not Korea.) Is there a connection?

Hate to dash, but I have too much to discover, and am on a quest.
Next topic is cleaning fungus from lenses.....

Oh boy, I may need to make some tools.
Later,
Kurt
01-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Atlas Quote
Thanks Ripit. Such a deal I bought two.

Side bar... My lens does not have the TOU marking, and is marked "Made in Japan" (not Korea.) Is there a connection?

Hate to dash, but I have too much to discover, and am on a quest.
Next topic is cleaning fungus from lenses.....

Oh boy, I may need to make some tools.
Later,
Kurt
I'm just going of memory and a brief search so someone correct me if I got something wrong, but five star lenses were made by toyo optics and could be marked toyo, tou, five star, tou/five star etc. I also seem to recall info about this lens being sold under other re-badged names too.

Mine is marked tou/fivestar and is made in japan. What made you think some might be made in Korea? I'm pretty sure it was a Japanese company. So far as I know they are generally considered a lower end budget company but they do have at least some lenses that seem to be pretty decent for a budget lens.
01-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My copy was purchased (probably from Montgomery Wards) sometime in the middle to late 1980's, is number 884184, made in Japan and labeled Five Star.

We've had a few very small Five Star fires around the forum in the past year, now ain't we?
01-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #23

Original Poster
878252 Japan. History unknown.

I might be mistaken about having seen one marked made in Korea. I can happen when combing auction sites when long after bedtime.

01-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Atlas Quote
878252 Japan. History unknown.

I might be mistaken about having seen one marked made in Korea. I can happen when combing auction sites when long after bedtime.
Yea I have had more than my share of excessive time on certain auction sites though I have cut back lately.
12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Hi! I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but I just bought a Five Star 500mm lens and I'm having the same trouble, I don't know what kind of adapter to buy. My cameras are a Pentax K1000 and a Pentax ME Super both have bayonet mounts. I bought the lens thinking it was the same mount. It looks the same, but it is too small to fit my cameras.

Here are some pictures of the lens:

With the back unscrewed:
lens 007 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also, I bought this second hand off someone, I literally JUST got it, in this pic you can see what looks like glue or something? Is there a lens broken inside it or is it just dirt? I am gonna be super sad if it's broken...

I'm doing an intro black and white film course in art school, so I'm new to film photography and older cameras, but I'm trying to learn. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!
12-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
Inactive Account

K, I read back through and realized that the lens unscrewed at the tripod mount too, so I guess the back of the lens was just some sort of extension tube???

So this is the lens mount

Is that the T2 mount? Do I buy a T2 to PK adapter?

Edit: my photo links aren't working:
Attached Images

Last edited by Kris-13; 12-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.