Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Five Star lens adapter...

I'm new. Need help. Can't navigate the site.
Have a K-x. Use it for coin shoots. Bought a Five Star 500mm so I could take my camera out doors.
Mount doesn't fit, what do I do?
The lens is in nice condition, and will probably work well if I can fit it to my camera.
I appears as though the mechanism between the tripod mount and the camera is no more than an extension tube with a fitting for the camera (threaded with set screw.)
Rather than getting another adapter, I would like to get the proper PK fitting.
Where?
I may be mistaken about the situation, but would appreciate any input from more experienced members.
Thanks,
KurtA

01-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will have to provide more information to get accurate help. Posting pictures of the lens and particularly the lens mount and any writing on the lens is a good start.

It is possible that the lens is using what is called T-mount which was a generic mount designed so that an adapter for each different camera mount was used. Dealers had to stock only one lens and then the different adapters to fit each camera brand. This went away when auto-focus, auto-whatever appeared. If that is what it is then it is fairly simple to get an adapter to k-mount or to M42 mount and then use an M42 to k-mount adapter.

But that is purely guesswork until we have more information.
01-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
As a newcommer I will have to figure out how to post photos. I'm just too tired to research it tonight, but will try again soon.
Thanks,
Kurt
01-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Click on "go advanced" and scroll down to the attachments are- you'll be able to upload straight from your disk.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pretty sure it has an universal mount (see http://www.thaidphoto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698106042&stc=1&d=1327421370)
Or Google Five Star 500mm...
01-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I found one of those Five Star 500mm for a couple bucks that came with a T mount > Pentax K mount adapter. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it's actually okay. It should be worth getting a Pentax mount for it.

Last edited by mgvh; 01-28-2012 at 05:41 PM.
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Atlas Quote
I'm new. Need help. Can't navigate the site.
Have a K-x. Use it for coin shoots. Bought a Five Star 500mm so I could take my camera out doors.
Mount doesn't fit, what do I do?
The lens is in nice condition, and will probably work well if I can fit it to my camera.
I appears as though the mechanism between the tripod mount and the camera is no more than an extension tube with a fitting for the camera (threaded with set screw.)
Rather than getting another adapter, I would like to get the proper PK fitting.
Where?
I may be mistaken about the situation, but would appreciate any input from more experienced members.
Thanks,
KurtA
I have a Five Star 500 and can tell you that changing the mount should be as simple as taking a lid off a pickle jar.
You can find T-PK mount rings many places. B&H has them for about $15. Buy one if you are certain your lens has a non Pentax K mount. Just wrap your hand around the lens mount ring and it should twist off exposing the mount threads. Then using the correct T mount for Pentax K, twist that baby on and you should be able to mount the lens to any K series Pentax body; film or digital. (in manual mode of course)

I happen to think the lens serves a fun purpose. If someone finds one for a couple of bucks, send me a message. I would not mind having a spare.
(plugs his contributions to various threads pertaining to this particular lens)
01-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And even if it doesn't take the best pictures, it is useful for fending off animal attacks.

01-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Wow. Some have listed a lens like this on ebay with a Canon mount for $150! Please dont spend $150 on a lens like this. They might be worth $148 but not $150
01-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Err... What?
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
Big thanks to everyone for the assistance.

1) Mount screwed off like the pickle jar lid, and was marked Canon inside. Looks like the universal mount in the photo.
I was reluctant to do this until advised as it has a set screw on the mount.
Set screw holds the mount together, does not hold mount to lens body.

2) Where do I find the "go advanced" link?

3) As long as this is working well, I have a similar situation with an ASAHI Pentax Auto Bellows.
The camera end of the bellows has a Pentax 42mm thread pattern, and I was going to use a 42 to PK adapter. However the mount easily removes from the bellows frame with a hand screw. Can I get a mount for the bellows that directly fits my K-x? (I think that stacking adapters adds errors and reduces strength.)

4) I got the 5 Star 500mm for $60. Came with the case and looks new.
I am just getting started with coin photography, when I saw the zoom lens, and thought my camera needs to go outside every once in a while.

Thanks, Kurt
01-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Big thanks to everyone for the assistance.

1) Mount screwed off like the pickle jar lid, and was marked Canon inside. Looks like the universal mount in the photo.
I was reluctant to do this until advised as it has a set screw on the mount.
Set screw holds the mount together, does not hold mount to lens body.

2) Where do I find the "go advanced" link?

3) As long as this is working well, I have a similar situation with an ASAHI Pentax Auto Bellows.
The camera end of the bellows has a Pentax 42mm thread pattern, and I was going to use a 42 to PK adapter. However the mount easily removes from the bellows frame with a hand screw. Can I get a mount for the bellows that directly fits my K-x? (I think that stacking adapters adds errors and reduces strength.)

4) I got the 5 Star 500mm for $60. Came with the case and looks new.
I am just getting started with coin photography, when I saw the zoom lens, and thought my camera needs to go outside every once in a while.

Thanks, Kurt
t he reason the mount detaches from the bellows is that in many instances the bellows shape makes it impossible to unscrew the mount from a camera adaptor when the bellows is attached to the camera, the bayonet allows for insertion, but the adaptor usually wants to remain in the camera when removing a screw mount lens.

you should for the bellows look for the flanged M42 to K adaptor, as this will use the external lens locking pin to hold things in place on the camera
01-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter

The camera end of the bellows has a Pentax 42mm thread pattern, and I was going to use a 42 to PK adapter. However the mount easily removes from the bellows frame with a hand screw. Can I get a mount for the bellows that directly fits my K-x?
I have not seen an adapter for this that goes straight to k-mount. Remember this was made before k-mount was introduced. Best answer is to use the M42 to K-mount adapter. And as Lowell noted this is one of the very few cases where the flanged adapter will work. The regular one works too but in this case infinity focus is not an issue.

And just FYI, but a 500mm lens is not usually for hand held. Most would use it on a tripod. So don't be surprised if you get some blurry shots at first.
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #14

Original Poster
Hard to remember something that I never knew.
K-mount came after my bellows system?
Now it makes sense.

I've got a 42 to PK flanged adapter, and it looks like it will work well.

I wish I could share photos, but I don't see an easy way to upload them from my desktop.

Tripods and copy stands are the solution to many of my new adventures. I'll have to build them myself, because the affordable ones look weak.

As I said before, the 5-Star 500mm lens appears to encorporate an extension tube. And I wonder what results might be possible if it were replaced with a longer tube.

I cannot thank you all enough for your assistance.
Kurt
01-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Hard to remember something that I never knew.
Sorry, just a figure of speech. Yes, M42 was out from I think 1957 through 1975 when the k-mount was introduced. So we have adapters going from M42 to k-mount but not the other way. There is lots of legacy M42 equipment still out there, Pentax and many other brands as well.

To upload pictures click on the Manage Attachments button below where it says Additional Options.