Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Fungus isn't going to spread from one lens to another, you create the ideal growing condition for the fungus to grow.... Canadian winter being what it is, if you can find a dry, sunny spot in your home, try leaving the lens exposed to the sunlight for a long period of time. .....The fact is the fungus spores are in the air that we live in, and each time you use your lens, air enters and exits from the lens' interior (same reason why there's dust in the lenses)....
Thanks for the answer. So, how much fungus is too much? Following some further reading last night, I tried shining a flashlight into them in a dark room & all of them have what looks to me like quite a lot. It looks like little cobwebs, in some cases around the edge & in others across most of the elements. In multiple elements.
I do have a south windowsill I could put them in -- although it's in the middle of a lot of orchids & above the sink so it's probably still humid, but it does get the hot sun right on it. The sun doesn't have to shine right down them?
I would probably wreck them trying to take them apart.
...Yeah, considering mine have been on lobster boats, leaky wooden tall ships, out in the fog, etc. etc. maybe it's surprising they don't have fungus. But, like you said I do try to take good care of them if they do get wet.
And I will definitely keep you in mind if I decide to get rid of them. Unfortunately since I live in the middle of nowhere I can only get films developed every couple or 3 months at least. So any test shots will be a long time coming. But, I'll know where these posts are.

01-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would suspect that under 'normal' light conditions the droplet spots would have little effect on IQ. They might interact with extreme light, such as sun in the image, and cause flare effects. Experiment and find out. Then you can know what will work with the lens when reaching for the right tool for the job.